Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 108
Thanks Tree28Thanks

Thread: The best argument against democracy

  1. #11
    Veteran Member carpe diem's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    29,201
    Thanks
    2821

    From
    San Diego, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    It isn't anymore...it's a combination of Greedocracy and Hypocritical Theocracy.

    Trump is a capitalist in the mold of Al Capone and Jesse James.
    We are a Representative Constitutional Republic...precisely to protect the people from idiots that may become bitter and spoiled, always wanting greener grass, desiring only what they currently believe they deserve, thinking short term and extremely negative.
    Last edited by carpe diem; 10th February 2018 at 09:02 AM.
    Thanks from Tennyson and bmanmcfly

  2. #12
    Retired Admin Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    86,634
    Thanks
    23681

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA


    Thanks from libertariat720

  3. #13
    Veteran Member carpe diem's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    29,201
    Thanks
    2821

    From
    San Diego, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Most people recognize that we are a democracy.
    Republicans keep trying to make us a dictatorship.

    Again, GOP word games hold no interest for me.
    Strawman argument made by bitter spoiled brats.

  4. #14
    A Character Tennyson's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,266
    Thanks
    503

    From
    Barsoom
    One of the best arguments against democracy is to read how deeply the men who created this country abhorred democracy and then created an anti-democratic Constitution.
    Last edited by Tennyson; 13th February 2018 at 06:16 AM.
    Thanks from carpe diem and StanStill

  5. #15
    Member Robert Urbanek's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,342
    Thanks
    1416

    From
    Vacaville, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by libertariat720 View Post
    It has always been a Constitutional Republic.
    Yet, conservatives had no problem with California's Prop. 13, a "direct democracy" ballot measure that put tight limits on property taxes.
    Thanks from Babba

  6. #16
    Veteran Member carpe diem's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    29,201
    Thanks
    2821

    From
    San Diego, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Urbanek View Post
    Yet, conservatives had no problem with California's Prop. 13, a "direct democracy" ballot measure that put tight limits on property taxes.
    Protecting those living on limited and fixed incomes...is supposed to be what libs stand for. But when you get right down to it, the only things those from the left truly stand for is allowing the gov to run roughshod over the people. The very gov the left says they do not trust is the same gov they want more of...the same gov that squanders the peoples revenue and then just demands more and more and more.

    By the way, the Reps and the people they represent brought prop 13 through the proper Constitutional process and submitted it for a vote (June 6 1978). In fact, despite the current idiots arguments from the left side of the aisle - Prop 13 was declared constitutional by the United States Supreme Court in the case of Nordlinger v. Hahn, 505 U.S. 1 (1992). Proposition 13 is embodied in Article XIII A of the Constitution of the State of California.

    This was not a democratic process, it was a Constitutional Republic process.
    Last edited by carpe diem; 10th February 2018 at 09:11 AM.

  7. #17
    New Member Slartibartfast's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    691
    Thanks
    243

    From
    UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    "The best argument against democracy....is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
    Winston Churchill

    He said that without even talking to one Trump supporter.
    It's very clear that Hillary (the left) were undemocratic after Trump's win.

  8. #18
    Member Robert Urbanek's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,342
    Thanks
    1416

    From
    Vacaville, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by carpe diem View Post
    Protecting those living on limited and fixed incomes...is supposed to be what libs stand for. But when you get right down to it, the only things those from the left truly stand for is allowing the gov to run roughshod over the people. The very gov the left says they do not trust is the same gov they want more of...the same gov that squanders the peoples revenue and then just demands more and more and more.

    By the way, the Reps and the people they represent brought prop 13 through the proper Constitutional process and submitted it for a vote (June 6 1978). In fact, despite the current idiots arguments from the left side of the aisle - Prop 13 was declared constitutional by the United States Supreme Court in the case of Nordlinger v. Hahn, 505 U.S. 1 (1992). Proposition 13 is embodied in Article XIII A of the Constitution of the State of California.

    This was not a democratic process, it was a Constitutional Republic process.
    Well, there is no doubt that Prop. 13 was constitutional but that is not the argument you started with. The strict democracy you deplore is when the people directly enact legislation and bypass the representatives they elected. The referendum or initiative process is as close as we can get to a pure democracy.
    Thanks from Devil505 and Babba

  9. #19
    Senior Member libertariat720's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    8,003
    Thanks
    2569

    From
    ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Urbanek View Post
    Yet, conservatives had no problem with California's Prop. 13, a "direct democracy" ballot measure that put tight limits on property taxes.
    I never said Direct Democracy was a bad thing...

    Property taxes lowered... How is that a bad thing? And the founders made states so that this very thing could happen.

  10. #20
    Veteran Member bonehead's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    15,051
    Thanks
    5548

    From
    south
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Most people recognize that we are a democracy.
    Republicans keep trying to make us a dictatorship.

    Again, GOP word games hold no interest for me.
    actually, most people THINK we are a democracy - but that has never been the case in actuality. are we a democratic form of government? possibly, but again, not necessarily. I ask you a question - who would control the actions of government if we were a democracy?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. shooting after argument
    By cable2 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22nd May 2016, 12:48 AM
  2. The Dependency Argument
    By labrea in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 22nd October 2015, 05:56 PM
  3. gun argument before the SC
    By PACE in forum Current Events
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 14th October 2015, 05:56 AM
  4. well...THAT'S a new argument...
    By Czernobog in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19th November 2012, 07:24 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed