Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 192
Thanks Tree44Thanks

Thread: who decides when a person is an "illegal"?

  1. #41
    SPOCK! Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    21,142
    Thanks
    9048

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    and I've noticed you fancy yourself the self-appointed forum editor. Incessantly , using the very opportunity provided to express your opinions on any given topic to whine about the OP, or various comments you disapprove of. So often, in fact, I doubt that even you've kept count.
    Eye express opinions on the internet? Yes, I do. Thanks for noticing.

    eye showed up in this thread to comment on the OP and YOU went and made it about me. If i disagree with the thread, that's OK. whats NOT OK is you calling me a coward. Quit whining. Own it.
    Last edited by Puzzling Evidence; 9th March 2018 at 09:06 AM.

  2. #42
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,298
    Thanks
    43796

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    Ok, we have Godwin out of the way.
    Anyhow, my grandparents migrated toi the US at the dawn of the 20th century. They had to follow the rules to gain citizenship here. I expect others who come here to be bound by the same rules. Knowingly coming here through illegal means shows a disregard for the US laws for entry to the country. You are free to label them as you want, but that won't change their status as illegal aliens.
    can't seem to find the term "illegal alien" in immigration law. Could you help a brotha out finding that?

  3. #43
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,298
    Thanks
    43796

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    Eye express opinions on the internet? Yes, I do. Thanks for noticing.

    eye showed up in this thread to comment on the OP and YOU went and made it about me. If i disagree with the thread, that's OK. whats NOT OK is you calling me a coward. Quit whining. Own it.
    when was it that I called you a coward?

  4. #44
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,298
    Thanks
    43796

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWahoo View Post
    It seems that you found the need to apply Godwin's Law, which is typically a measure of last resort to promote a point. In the instances that you mention, our immigration laws provide the ability to request asylum. However, it is the responsibility of those wishing to enter to make such a request. They can do so at a US Embassy or Consulate or upon entry they can present themselves to the proper immigration authorities and make such a request. If they make such a request and it is granted, then I would submit that they have not entered illegally and would agree that they should not be labelled, underscore labelled, as an illegal. Any child born in this country is a citizen and therefore should not be labelled as an illegal. Regarding, those children that entered via the illegal actions of their parents, I have always stated that they should be given specific consideration because they had no control over the illegal act of their parents. Moreover, specific provisions have been made available to them, but again, it is their responsibility to apply for those provisions.
    our laws don't label anyone as an "illegal".

  5. #45
    One
    One is online now
    10 Year Survivor One's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,949
    Thanks
    7473

    From
    ----> X <----
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    can't seem to find the term "illegal alien" in immigration law. Could you help a brotha out finding that?
    Do you really look to legal documents to see if a word is acceptable? If so, you are the first person I've ever met that does.

  6. #46
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,298
    Thanks
    43796

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    Do you really look to legal documents to see if a word is acceptable? If so, you are the first person I've ever met that does.
    wow.
    Just.

    Wow.

  7. #47
    Member
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,178
    Thanks
    1134

    From
    Maryland USA
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    our laws don't label anyone as an "illegal".
    I don't recall stating that our laws "labelled" those entering our country in violation of law as such. I don't know with certainty, but I would guess our laws against murder doesn't label those committing murder as murderers. It is a term used by society to identify those committing or accused of committing murder. Similarly, our society uses the term "illegal" to identify those that entered our country in violation of our laws. It is a means to identify the illegal action that one committed or is accused of committing. That was the point that I was trying to make, it appears that I failed.

  8. #48
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    34,208
    Thanks
    26986

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofball View Post
    This is the answer.

    /thread.
    And the assumption is incorrect.

  9. #49
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    34,208
    Thanks
    26986

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    what about murderers , terrorist, or child molesters? We don't call them "illegals".
    We call them criminals.

  10. #50
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    34,208
    Thanks
    26986

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    murder isn't illegal? Molesting a child isn't illegal? Committing a terrorist act isn't illegal?
    It is criminal.

    Being an "undocumented immigrant" makes one in the country illegally, but depending on how one entered, it is not criminal.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 22nd October 2017, 08:48 AM
  2. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 24th June 2016, 01:54 PM
  3. Replies: 74
    Last Post: 4th January 2016, 06:50 AM
  4. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 24th April 2015, 02:30 AM
  5. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 27th October 2008, 03:39 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed