Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 79
Thanks Tree57Thanks

Thread: 80% of mass shooters showed no interest in video games

  1. #1
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    67,907
    Thanks
    49342

    From
    So. Md.

    80% of mass shooters showed no interest in video games

    Well, that shoots that theory down.

    But psychologist Patrick Markey's research shows 80 percent of mass shooters did not show an interest in violent video games.

    "It seems like something that should make us safer so it's a totally understandable reaction," Markey said. "The problem is just the science, the data, does not back up that they actually have an effect."
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/80-perc...searcher-says/

  2. #2
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    27,123
    Thanks
    4617

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    Well, that shoots that theory down.



    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/80-perc...searcher-says/
    The focus on video games is stupid and I never believed it had any credibility. I don't need a scientific study to realize if video games were causing kids to shoot people then we'd all be dead from murderous teens.

    We need to put the focus more on school bullying. Violent entertainment can feed a psychosis - but it doesn't cause them. Long term abuse or mental anguish however can. It's already been proven that high degrees of prolonged stress can cause someone to go nuts.
    Thanks from bmanmcfly and Ian Jeffrey

  3. #3
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    67,907
    Thanks
    49342

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    The focus on video games is stupid and I never believed it had any credibility. I don't need a scientific study to realize if video games were causing kids to shoot people then we'd all be dead from murderous teens.

    We need to put the focus more on school bullying. Violent entertainment can feed a psychosis - but it doesn't cause them. Long term abuse or mental anguish however can.
    While I agree that bullying is a problem in schools, can you point to any proof that it is a major contributing factor in the rate of mass shootings?
    Thanks from Friday13

  4. #4
    Shut up and vote Addiction Solitaire Champion, Double Deuce Champion, Queen Jewels Champion, Ray Ray Shuffle Champion, Twins Champion, Blow Up: Arcade Champion, Bunch - Time Trial Champion, Znax Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Sobics School Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Makos Champion, Dino Drop Champion, Flower Frenzy Champion, Some Puzzle Champion, Funny Bubbles Champion, CubeZ Champion, Dinky Smash Champion, Fun Fun Animals Champion, Fruit Fabriek Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Rainbow Monkey RunDown Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Crime Puzzle Champion Blueneck's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    49,170
    Thanks
    27009

    From
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    Well, that shoots that theory down.



    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/80-perc...searcher-says/
    I think the whole point of that argument was just "if I have to give up my toy, so do you".
    Thanks from Babba, Panzareta and EnigmaO01

  5. #5
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    27,123
    Thanks
    4617

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    While I agree that bullying is a problem in schools, can you point to any proof that it is a major contributing factor in the rate of mass shootings?
    Anything that causes high levels of chronic anxiety or stress can lead to serious mental problems.

    http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrE1...NsU2W4_hG1ZSA-

    So obviously if you are spending every day at school being abused or bullied by your peers that is going to cause a lot of chronic stress.

    There is a reason nearly all of these school shooters have a history of being bullied.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 10th March 2018 at 07:40 AM.

  6. #6
    SPOCK! Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    21,142
    Thanks
    9048

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    Well, that shoots that theory down.



    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/80-perc...searcher-says/
    Video games don't kill people -- guys with "mommy issues" and access to firearms, kill people.
    Thanks from EnigmaO01

  7. #7
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    67,907
    Thanks
    49342

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Anything that causes high levels of chronic anxiety or stress can lead to serious mental problems.

    http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrE1...NsU2W4_hG1ZSA-

    So obviously if you are spending every day at school being abused or bullied by your peers that is going to cause a lot of chronic stress.

    There is a reason nearly all of these school shooters have a history of being bullied.
    I agree that it could contribute in some cases. But again, it doesn't appear to be a major factor.
    Thanks from boontito and EnigmaO01

  8. #8
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    27,123
    Thanks
    4617

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    I agree that it could contribute in some cases. But again, it doesn't appear to be a major factor.
    You don't think that being picked on or abused every day at school can cause chronic anxiety or stress?

  9. #9
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    67,907
    Thanks
    49342

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    You don't think that being picked on or abused every day at school can cause chronic anxiety or stress?
    I agreed that it could. I just know of no evidence connecting the rate of mass shootings and bullying. Do you know of such evidence?
    Last edited by Babba; 10th March 2018 at 08:00 AM.

  10. #10
    Retired Admin Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    87,218
    Thanks
    24054

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    While I agree that bullying is a problem in schools, can you point to any proof that it is a major contributing factor in the rate of mass shootings?
    In the case of Klebold and Harris, they were the bullies.
    Thanks from Babba, boontito, Friday13 and 1 others

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mass shooters, Doctor Who and The Matrix
    By Robert Urbanek in forum Conspiracy Theories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st March 2018, 07:57 AM
  2. Mass shooters are Democrats
    By Dittohead not! in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22nd February 2018, 08:16 AM
  3. MSM keeps Mass Shooters Profiles a Secret
    By Old Ridge Runner in forum Current Events
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 17th December 2013, 12:35 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18th September 2013, 02:22 PM
  5. Replies: 117
    Last Post: 27th December 2012, 10:10 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed