Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
Thanks Tree5Thanks

Thread: Should we put shame on us all? We burden our children.

  1. #11
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    65,563
    Thanks
    37125

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post
    Change human nature?

    I agree that our natures cannot be changed. What I am suggesting is that we recognize and live up to our human natures that tell us that we are intentionally hurting our children and should stop.

    "Your track record here suggests that you are quite interested in imposing your own ideas on others in the name of morality."

    Going personal shows a small mindedness.

    But since you went there, for evil to grow, all those with better morals need do is not try to chage the minds of those with poor morals.

    You used the word impose. I cannot impose anything on anyone. I can only show my better moral sense and hope that it is recognized. It seems that I have failed in your case.

    Regards
    DL
    What your are saying goes easily for individuals. What it has to do with the aggregate of humanity (which is what we tend to discuss on a political board) is dimmer. Everyone should live up to their own categorical imperatives. You try to sell others on your own categorical imperatives. This will change nothing about the fate of humanity in the aggregate. Never has in the past, though humanity has seen many prophets trying to do what you do.

    And you ABSOLUTELY wish to enforce your own moral vision--with force. That's what most of your posts boil down to.

  2. #12
    Veteran Member carpe diem's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    29,775
    Thanks
    2922

    From
    San Diego, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post
    Change human nature?

    I agree that our natures cannot be changed. What I am suggesting is that we recognize and live up to our human natures that tell us that we are intentionally hurting our children and should stop.

    "Your track record here suggests that you are quite interested in imposing your own ideas on others in the name of morality."

    Going personal shows a small mindedness.

    But since you went there, for evil to grow, all those with better morals need do is not try to chage the minds of those with poor morals.

    You used the word impose. I cannot impose anything on anyone. I can only show my better moral sense and hope that it is recognized. It seems that I have failed in your case.

    Regards
    DL
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...ED&FORM=WRVORC

  3. #13
    Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,043
    Thanks
    168

    From
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    What your are saying goes easily for individuals. What it has to do with the aggregate of humanity (which is what we tend to discuss on a political board) is dimmer. Everyone should live up to their own categorical imperatives. You try to sell others on your own categorical imperatives. This will change nothing about the fate of humanity in the aggregate. Never has in the past, though humanity has seen many prophets trying to do what you do.

    And you ABSOLUTELY wish to enforce your own moral vision--with force. That's what most of your posts boil down to.
    If you see force, you need glasses.

    Force of words, for sure.

    Regards
    DL

  4. #14
    Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,043
    Thanks
    168

    From
    Canada
    A link without your thinking on it is a waste of time as all see things differently.

    Say what you want to say so that I might know what you see in his words.

    Regards
    DL

  5. #15
    Veteran Member carpe diem's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    29,775
    Thanks
    2922

    From
    San Diego, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post
    A link without your thinking on it is a waste of time as all see things differently.

    Say what you want to say so that I might know what you see in his words.

    Regards
    DL
    Thanks for so swiftly making my point...You clearly did not take the ten minutes to listen to wisdom.

    C S Lewis brilliantly describes the natural law we all clearly understand even though so many simply deny it to further their warped agendas.

    In short - Arguers such as yourself declare there is really is no right or wrong...that there's your version of right and wrong and my version of the same, when I disagree, you then declare I am wrong.

    What we have done to our children is mislead them by teaching them life is supposed to be fair and if somehow you have been wronged by circumstances or a persons behavior you are entitled to some compensation...

    We teach them things like don't worry about whatever you do, that's how you feel and you are entitled to react the way you want.
    Last edited by carpe diem; 14th April 2018 at 10:14 PM.

  6. #16
    Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,043
    Thanks
    168

    From
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by carpe diem View Post
    Thanks for so swiftly making my point...You clearly did not take the ten minutes to listen to wisdom.

    C S Lewis brilliantly describes the natural law we all clearly understand even though so many simply deny it to further their warped agendas.

    In short - Arguers such as yourself declare there is really is no right or wrong...that there's your version of right and wrong and my version of the same, when I disagree, you then declare I am wrong.

    What we have done to our children is mislead them by teaching them life is supposed to be fair and if somehow you have been wronged by circumstances or a persons behavior you are entitled to some compensation...

    We teach them things like don't worry about whatever you do, that's how you feel and you are entitled to react the way you want.
    Thanks for this.

    I am not part of the "we" you put above.

    As to right and wrong. I say they are subjective, as all moral issues are, and that when their is disagreements arguers, if honest, will duke it out till a consensus is reached.

    Since a good 75% of us claim to follow some kind of reciprocity law, consensus will likely be found.

    I am not sure what issue you had in mind with your, --- "...that there's your version of right and wrong and my version of the same, when I disagree, you then declare I am wrong." --- but I do not say such a thing unless my interlocutor has actually lost the argument.

    If you had a real example of what you say, then link me up so that I can know what you are talking about.

    Stop just throwing riddles out here.

    Regards
    DL

  7. #17
    Veteran Member Metal Slug Champion Blah's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    24,665
    Thanks
    1377

    From
    USA
    Posted in the wrong forum topic...

  8. #18
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    32,300
    Thanks
    8285

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingbeast View Post
    And not only that, it's ALL the Democrat's fault - just ask TNFanatic!
    It is not all Democrats fault. ~75% of the Debt is Democrats fault ~10% of the Fault is GOP's Fault.. ~15% of the debt is shared by both Democrat and GOP

    ~75% of the Debt was borrowed by Congresses that were 100% controlled by Democrats 14.2 Trillion dollars of the national Debt was borrowed by congresses that BOTH HOUSES OF CONGRESS were controlled by Demcrats

    ~3 TRillion borrowed during GOP controlling both houses

    ~4.5 Trillion borrowed when GOP and Democrats Shared Control of congress

    Those are facts that cannot be changed. I blame both GOP and Democrats (except those Congresses that balanced or created surpluses in revenue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Inside the Trump Marriage: Melania’s Burden
    By the watchman in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 23rd April 2017, 12:28 PM
  2. Duh, regulatory burden kills jobs...
    By Raoul_Duke in forum Economics
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 29th May 2014, 07:58 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 31st December 2013, 05:28 AM
  4. Burden of Illegal Immigration on US Taxpayers.
    By THOR in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 4th October 2012, 12:35 PM
  5. Liberal lie debunked: entitlements are heaviest burden, not the wars
    By carpe diem in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 623
    Last Post: 6th June 2012, 09:28 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed