Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30
Thanks Tree14Thanks

Thread: Why America’s Black Mothers and Babies Are in a Life-or-Death Crisis

  1. #11
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    26,888
    Thanks
    5072

    Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    Those are also factors but more related to lower socio economic groups which would include all races. That doesn't explain the numbers crossing all socio economic segments. The article speaks to this: "For black women, something about growing up in America seems to be bad for your baby’s birth weight." Lower birth weight being a serious condition. I suspect they assume that in higher income brackets it shows there is more at play than just nutrition or lifestyle. Stress is a pretty good place to start looking due to that reality of it impacting all segments. Birth weight is a big clue imo if it turns out to be the culprit.
    They need to drill down on mother's lifestyle and eating, drinking, smoking, drug habits . Stress may be a factor, blaming it on racism is a self imposed issue. Higher income brackets doesn't determine lifestyle and nutrition. Foolish behavior cuts across all social strata. Racism is a stretch. Personal decisions matter.
    Thanks from Minotaur

  2. #12
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    22,979
    Thanks
    11941

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    If the pregnatn mother suffers tracism, then her udborn does too. When she lives in a society with poor housing, jobs or even dietary needs let alone acces to good quality medical care, then her unborn is affected. If the mother herself was carried by HER mother in similar circumstances.... and so it goes.
    Pregnant women in the US have great healthcare coverage. They become automatically eligible for Medicaid regardless of their income status if they are uninsured or under insured. Racism has little impact on infant mortality. I worked many, many years in the inner city and have seen my share of pregnant black women and most of it is lifestyle and nutrition. They don't experience racism in their own neighborhoods and their environments offer more stress than most of us could imagine. The violence alone in these neighborhoods is extreme and causes stress. When you consider that most are single parent households adds financial stress as well. Most of what I see is very poor diet consisting of fast food and obesity. The constant fighting with the absent father of the baby, lack of child support, and family drama adds a whole lot of stress to these women.

    Medicaid for Pregnant Women
    Thanks from THOR

  3. #13
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,814
    Thanks
    32690

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    It is not surprising to me that anyone living in systemic racism has impact from birth to old age. The issue is to recognize how damaging racism really is. For those not understanding impact it will be harder to accept the potential impact of a racism they don't recognize. That is an issue imo. Imagine having children and being afraid that they are going to be killed by law enforcement. Imagine job rejections that are questionable. Imagine poor treatment or service with all the appearance of racism in the handling. Many turn a blind eye to that. Just the fact that so many attack BLM without recognizing the cause and frown on football players taking a knee for black lives lost says all that needs to be said. Stress kills.

    Pregnancies require less stress during each stage.
    Obviously, racism is a source of huge, unremitting stress. But then, victims would have a greater risk of stress-related illnesses and injuries.

    Hard to believe these types of illnesses and injuries are proving fatal among black women and their infants.

    Damaging, yes. But fatal?
    Last edited by Madeline; 13th April 2018 at 01:01 PM.
    Thanks from Minotaur

  4. #14
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    26,888
    Thanks
    5072

    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Obviously, racism is a source of huge, unremitting stress. But then, victims would have a greater risk of stress-related illnesses and injuries.

    Hard to believe these types of illnesses and injuries are proving fatal among black women and their infants.

    Damaging, yes. But fatal?
    Mothers's poor decisions & choices during pregnancy. Racism......BS.

  5. #15
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    13,271
    Thanks
    3265

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    My guess is that in the mid 1800s good prenatal care wasn't available for black women, or white women either.
    Ms. Labrea,

    So true. I heard they din't know nothin' bout birthing no babies back then.

  6. #16
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    65,546
    Thanks
    37097

    From
    in my head
    I'm not sure why comparing racism today against racism in 1850 makes any sense. I'm pretty sure that neonatal mortality was much worse in 1850 for EVERYONE, particularly slaves, but what does that fact tell us?

  7. #17
    Veteran Member Dangermouse's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    25,078
    Thanks
    24139

    From
    Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    Pregnant women in the US have great healthcare coverage. They become automatically eligible for Medicaid regardless of their income status if they are uninsured or under insured. Racism has little impact on infant mortality. I worked many, many years in the inner city and have seen my share of pregnant black women and most of it is lifestyle and nutrition. They don't experience racism in their own neighborhoods and their environments offer more stress than most of us could imagine. The violence alone in these neighborhoods is extreme and causes stress. When you consider that most are single parent households adds financial stress as well. Most of what I see is very poor diet consisting of fast food and obesity. The constant fighting with the absent father of the baby, lack of child support, and family drama adds a whole lot of stress to these women.

    Medicaid for Pregnant Women
    The very fact that they have "their own neighbourhoods" is an indicator of racism in action.

  8. #18
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    65,546
    Thanks
    37097

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    The very fact that they have "their own neighbourhoods" is an indicator of racism in action.
    And I'm pretty sure the statistics were normed to take SES into account. I don't think middle class black women live in "their own neighborhoods."

  9. #19
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    22,979
    Thanks
    11941

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    The very fact that they have "their own neighbourhoods" is an indicator of racism in action.
    No it isn't...we all have our own neighborhoods, it is where we live. That was the point. The whole premise of this article is absurd, medically. Being subjected to racism does not increase infant mortality rates, especially as far back as the OP article suggests. This is virtue signaling.

  10. #20
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    26,888
    Thanks
    5072

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    The very fact that they have "their own neighbourhoods" is an indicator of racism in action.
    Explain yourself. Our government does all it can to move people into other people's neighborhoods. Racism....what a crutch to explain away everything.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 184
    Last Post: 11th February 2018, 03:43 PM
  2. Now sick babies go on death pathway:
    By lka in forum Current Events
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 10th December 2012, 12:06 AM
  3. Death Penalty or Life in Jail? This is for your life
    By TenGig in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 13th June 2007, 08:31 AM
  4. Mid Life Crisis
    By Mrs Behavin in forum Political Humor
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20th August 2006, 09:59 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed