Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 662
Thanks Tree318Thanks

Thread: Separation of church and state

  1. #551
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    55,311
    Thanks
    3001

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues63 View Post
    The authors of the four gospels are unknown.



    See above.



    So the stories go.
    Mathew , Mark, Luke and John. They are very well known

  2. #552
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    55,311
    Thanks
    3001

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    I’m going to go ahead and agree with Ian.
    You better. Then you can post odd cartoons about me when your argument falls apart.

  3. #553
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    55,311
    Thanks
    3001

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
    Hey aboutenough. How's it going?

    I'm gonna have to go ahead and ask where Jesus' tomb is. You're under the impression that words on a page are true just because they're words on a page. I would think the son of God would be more intelligent than the New Testament's authors make him out to be. If he were so intelligent and had magical powers, he should've created paper and actually, you know, wrote the New Testament himself and wouldn't rely on people who are less intelligent than he is to write his story for him. Why doesn't Jesus Christ magically appear to people whenever they doubt his existence? That'd corroborate the New Testament. Oh and if you could stop trolling the thread, that would be great.



    But there's a problem with that argument, aboutenough. Jesus wasn't resurrected. Supernatural events can't be investigated and you have to accept them on faith. You rely on people claiming to be witnesses, yet there is no evidence those "witnesses" even existed. Where are their tombs? What are their names?



    So basically you're saying he has a birth certificate now.

    ....yyyeeaaaah.
    One problem. The whole idea of courts is based on witnesses when a person goes to trial. You just decided to throw that out based on a hunch none of it is true. No court in the land would accept your feeble attempt of dismissing witnesses.

  4. #554
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    55,311
    Thanks
    3001

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to have to go ahead and laugh at you there. Oh, and I just recently started doing Hitori puzzles. Before I was sticking with Kakuro, but the two of them together are even better. They're quite a bit more challenging than these kindergarten critical thinking exercises you give me, so I have better things to do with my time. So if you could, you know, leave the forum and stop wasting everyone's time, that would be great.
    You are on the same page as Ian. Name calling, cartoons and lack of substance in your argument. Go back to your games, your wasting my time.

  5. #555
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    55,311
    Thanks
    3001

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
    Okay, I'm going to have to go ahead and call you on your Argumentum ad Martyrdom fallacy. Just because someone died for something doesn't mean the cause they died for was true. If a bunch of mathematicians believed 2+2=6, and a bunch of other mathematicians tortured and killed them for it, would that prove 2+2=6?

    https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_martyrdom



    Oh, and if you could stop making those False Consensus Effect biases, that would be great. You're always assuming that other people think like you do.


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_consensus_effect
    All the Disciples were put to death but one, John, he was boiled in hot oil and survived and put on the Island of Patmos for the rest of his life. To you they all died for a lie, to me they saw Christ live, die and rise back to life as he said he would. You have to wonder why the Disciples would die for a lie, Chew on that awhile

  6. #556
    Veteran Member Michael J's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,368
    Thanks
    5220

    From
    My mother's womb, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Mathew , Mark, Luke and John. They are very well known
    Where are their tombs?
    Thanks from Friday13

  7. #557
    Veteran Member Michael J's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,368
    Thanks
    5220

    From
    My mother's womb, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    One problem. The whole idea of courts is based on witnesses when a person goes to trial.
    Okay, I'm going to have to go ahead and post some corrections. The judge always assumes the witnesses are making material claims, not supernatural ones. Also, the witnesses must always identify themselves. There is no way to identify those witnesses because...well, there is no historical evidence that they existed.

    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    You just decided to throw that out based on a hunch none of it is true.
    If you could actually read my words, that would be great. I know you're uneducated and have a low vocabulary, but try your best. Do you have any idea how easy it is to find inconsistencies in eye witness testimony?

    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    No court in the land would accept your feeble attempt of dismissing witnesses.
    Oh and one more big correction: No court in the land would accept testimony from witnesses who make supernatural claims and can't even identify themselves. If you could go ahead and admit that you don't know anything about the legal system, that would be great. You make the same circular arguments: People claiming to be witnesses say Christ was resurrected, Christ was resurrected because people claiming to be witnesses say he was. The conclusion is assumed to be true in the premise. You can't do that when formulating an argument.
    Thanks from Friday13 and Panzareta

  8. #558
    Veteran Member Michael J's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,368
    Thanks
    5220

    From
    My mother's womb, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    You are on the same page as Ian. Name calling, cartoons and lack of substance in your argument. Go back to your games, your wasting my time.
    Okay, I'm gonna have to go ahead and call you on another one of your logical fallacies. The one you made is an Argument by Assertion:

    Premise 1: You are on the same page as Ian. Name calling, cartoons and lack of substance in your argument. Go back to your games, your wasting my time.
    Premise 2: You are on the same page as Ian. Name calling, cartoons and lack of substance in your argument. Go back to your games, your wasting my time.
    Premise 3: You are on the same page as Ian. Name calling, cartoons and lack of substance in your argument. Go back to your games, your wasting my time.
    -----
    Conclusion: You are on the same page as Ian. Name calling, cartoons and lack of substance in your argument. Go back to your games, your wasting my time.

    You just make blind assertions from out of nowhere. It's the kind of stuff middle school children do.

    ...yyyeaaahhh.

    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    cartoons
    What cartoons did I post, Bryan Fischer?

    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    lack of substance in your argument.
    This is a code name for "asking uncomfortable questions that weaken aboutenough's stupid arguments." The individual who makes logical fallacies is the one who doesn't have substance in his or her argument. Who do you think that is?

  9. #559
    DEEP STATE CEO Blues63's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    9,347
    Thanks
    6753

    From
    SPECTRE HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Mathew , Mark, Luke and John. They are very well known

    *SIGH* But as I've told you previously, the authorship was unknown and these names were simply attributed to the books without any surety. You really have no experience in ancient texts and their history, do you?

    The best we can say for three of them is that they share similarities in narrative from a common source known as 'Q', and this text was written sometime in the first cent. CE after the destruction of the Temple. John's gospel is rather different to other three and even they have anomalies among them, such as the interpolation of the resurrection in Mark; the differing lineages of Christ and the confused dates for his birth (4 BCE or 6CE)-all of which I've related to you on previous occasions.

    'John's' gospel seems to be telling another story entirely.

    You really should read the Jerusalem Bible (Student Edition) as opposed to the KJV, as it highlights the discrepancies and anomalies within the narrative(s) for the layperson.
    Last edited by Blues63; 13th May 2018 at 11:14 PM.
    Thanks from Friday13 and Michael J

  10. #560
    Veteran Member Michael J's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,368
    Thanks
    5220

    From
    My mother's womb, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    All the Disciples were put to death but one, John, he was boiled in hot oil and survived and put on the Island of Patmos for the rest of his life.
    How do you know that happened?

    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    To you they all died for a lie, to me they saw Christ live, die and rise back to life as he said he would.
    This is another Argumentum ad Martyrdom fallacy.

    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    You have to wonder why the Disciples would die for a lie, Chew on that awhile
    This error in reasoning is a Homunculus Fallacy. You just repeat the same argument in an infinite regress after I contradicted it. You'll go around and around in an endless loop until your stamina runs out.

    https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/...nculus_Fallacy
    Last edited by Michael J; 13th May 2018 at 11:55 PM.
    Thanks from Friday13

Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Separation of church and state.
    By Rev. Hellh0und in forum Current Events
    Replies: 173
    Last Post: 11th November 2012, 07:03 AM
  2. Separation of church and state
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 204
    Last Post: 1st November 2009, 04:22 PM
  3. Separation of Church and State
    By Tick in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 19th September 2008, 02:24 AM
  4. Separation of church and state
    By Jack Flash in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 163
    Last Post: 10th April 2008, 11:19 AM
  5. Separation of Church and State
    By Jack Flash in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 30th January 2008, 02:18 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed