Members banned from this thread: Spookycolt


Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 224
Thanks Tree227Thanks

Thread: I agree with Trump on Israel

  1. #11
    Flibbertigibbet Wonderer's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2014
    Posts
    24,476
    Thanks
    16362

    From
    Missouri
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    He did the right thing for all the wrong reasons.
    This was all about HIM!
    As is much (if not all) of what he does. But I'm not one to cut off my nose to spite my face. When he does stuff with which I agree, I can acknowledge it.
    Thanks from bajisima and HCProf

  2. #12
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    45,503
    Thanks
    29872

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    It's the only real democracy in the ME and we gain nothing by playing nice with the Arabs.
    Station American troops in Israel, have combined military operations and stop pretending we are neutral brokers.

    Then again, I agreed with Hitler on his love of dogs.
    I get your point, but you're promoting a permanent stalemate, and that will be costly. If Israel wanted to devastate the major cities of those countries that present a threat, it would be far less costly to Israel (and the U.S.) than the status quo. Obviously, slaughtering tens of millions for economics is an abhorrent idea - but if we're going to sustain a stalemate, it should be accompanied with unceasing efforts to peacefully resolve the stalemate, however futile it may seem.

    And Trump's bullheaded move benefits no one. It presents Israel in a negative light, bolsters the case for the hardline Arab theocrats, and gains the U.S. and Israel no material benefit whatsoever.

  3. #13
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    36,939
    Thanks
    34492

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    It's the only real democracy in the ME and we gain nothing by playing nice with the Arabs.
    Station American troops ins Israel, have combined military operations and stop pretending we are neutral brokers.

    Then again, I agreed with Hitler on his love of dogs.

    There could be multiple threads dedicated to the question of whether Israel can simultaneously be a "Jewish state" and a "real democracy", but we are historical allies with Israel and there has been no peace process for which the US could mediate since the turn of the century. I suppose there's no point in pretending otherwise.

    So, we've chosen sides. The next question is whether (or when) our faithful ally Israel will drag us into another ME war.
    Thanks from Babba

  4. #14
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    21,137
    Thanks
    11116

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    There could be multiple threads dedicated to the question of whether Israel can simultaneously be a "Jewish state" and a "real democracy", but we are historical allies with Israel and there has been no peace process for which the US could mediate since the turn of the century. I suppose there's no point in pretending otherwise.

    So, we've chosen sides. The next question is whether (or when) our faithful ally Israel will drag us into another ME war.
    Israel doesn't need the US to defend themselves. They are brutal fighters out of necessity. They have had conflict with all of the bordering Countries. I think Israel, if push came to shove, would give the US a run for their money.
    Thanks from pragmatic and Wonderer

  5. #15
    the "good" prag pragmatic's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    31,166
    Thanks
    19295

    From
    between Moon and NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    It's the only real democracy in the ME and we gain nothing by playing nice with the Arabs.
    Station American troops in Israel, have combined military operations and stop pretending we are neutral brokers.

    Then again, I agreed with Hitler on his love of dogs.

    Not sure that is such a great idea...

  6. #16
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    63,494
    Thanks
    20244

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderer View Post
    As is much (if not all) of what he does.
    I disagree.
    His usual MO is to do the wrong thing for all the wrong reasons.
    Thanks from NightSwimmer

  7. #17
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    63,494
    Thanks
    20244

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Not sure that is such a great idea...
    Why not? (we get attacked no matter where our troops are.)
    Pull them all out of the ME except for those staitioned offshore for spec-ops and those in Israel working with the IDF.

  8. #18
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    36,939
    Thanks
    34492

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    Israel doesn't need the US to defend themselves. They are brutal fighters out of necessity. They have had conflict with all of the bordering Countries. I think Israel, if push came to shove, would give the US a run for their money.

    They're quite welcome, so far as I'm concerned, to go it alone, if they want to go to war against Iraq. Fighting real soldiers might prove to be somewhat different from being brutal with the neighbors.

  9. #19
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    63,494
    Thanks
    20244

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    I get your point, but you're promoting a permanent stalemate, and that will be costly. If Israel wanted to devastate the major cities of those countries that present a threat, it would be far less costly to Israel (and the U.S.) than the status quo. Obviously, slaughtering tens of millions for economics is an abhorrent idea - but if we're going to sustain a stalemate, it should be accompanied with unceasing efforts to peacefully resolve the stalemate, however futile it may seem.

    And Trump's bullheaded move benefits no one. It presents Israel in a negative light, bolsters the case for the hardline Arab theocrats, and gains the U.S. and Israel no material benefit whatsoever.
    There will never be a stable peace in the ME.
    They like to kill each other over there....It's Tradition!

    We have no business being anywhere in the ME except for Israel....imo.

  10. #20
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    21,137
    Thanks
    11116

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    They're quite welcome, so far as I'm concerned, to go it alone, if they want to go to war against Iraq. Fighting real soldiers might prove to be somewhat different from being brutal with the neighbors.
    They have fought more Countries than Palestine. They have a citizens army where all are required to serve and train. I think they are prepared to go it alone.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...volving_Israel

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 70% of Americans agree with President Trump
    By Spookycolt in forum Current Events
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 19th November 2017, 02:44 PM
  2. Finally Something I Agree With Trump
    By HayJenn in forum Current Events
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11th November 2017, 11:49 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 19th December 2016, 11:21 AM
  4. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 8th October 2016, 09:38 AM
  5. Israel, Hamas Agree to Free Gilad Shalit in Prisoner Swap
    By jackalope in forum Asia & Middle East
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18th October 2011, 08:27 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed