Members banned from this thread: CEngelbrecht and Idiocracat


Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 267
Thanks Tree304Thanks

Thread: Trump supporters: It turns out they're garbage human beings

  1. #11
    Veteran Member Panzareta's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    33,870
    Thanks
    20723

    From
    On a happy trail
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 stringer View Post
    I think it's very appropriate. We'll agree on some things, and disagree on some things. Healthy minds.
    I don't know about that. You seem to be giving the OP some credence.
    Thanks from Friday13

  2. #12
    Veteran Member Panzareta's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    33,870
    Thanks
    20723

    From
    On a happy trail
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 stringer View Post
    Much of what you say is right on. However, diversity isn't a problem. The problem is being forced to accept something that we don't want to. I don't care if two guys want to get married. I do care when you target someone simply because they disagree and then you try to destroy their livelihood. That's un-American.
    Then you should not be a supporter of Trump who has destroyed many lives and livelihoods for mere greed.
    Thanks from Dragonfly5 and Friday13

  3. #13
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    65,557
    Thanks
    37113

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 stringer View Post
    I do care when you target someone simply because they disagree and then you try to destroy their livelihood. That's un-American.
    Whose livelihood is being destroyed based on their beliefs?
    Thanks from Friday13

  4. #14
    Senior Member vikingbeast's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2013
    Posts
    11,717
    Thanks
    6430

    From
    Banned Camp Segregation Unit
    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    The New York Times has been bending over backwards for months, trying to give Trump supporters the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, there is no benefit to be had. The very nicest thing you can say about them is that they are naive, gullible, and/or willfully ignorant.

    So, since we need a subject to discuss: I keep hearing that we have to suck up to Trump supporters, make them feel heard and important. Can anybody tell me why? Why should I make someone feel heard and important when they have repeatedly stated that all democrats are mentally ill and should probably be shot?

    Further, as near as I can tell, they want this to be a White Christian nation. Black people are not welcome here, nor are brown people, nor are LGBTQ and life would be just peachy if women lost their right to vote, as well as their right to privacy (which is the true bottom line of the abortion issue, it's none of your fucking business what happens in my doctor's office).

    Anyone who supports tearing children from their mothers as a valid means of blackmail to get the wall built is nobody I ever want to meet face-to-face.

    Yes, our country is incredibly polarized. But I'll be damned if I will give an inch to people who have not one drop of sympathy, empathy, compassion or class.



    The Times finally gets to the bottom of Trump supporters: It turns out they're garbage human beings
    8.jpg
    Thanks from Panzareta, CEngelbrecht and Friday13

  5. #15
    Shut up and vote Addiction Solitaire Champion, Double Deuce Champion, Queen Jewels Champion, Ray Ray Shuffle Champion, Twins Champion, Blow Up: Arcade Champion, Bunch - Time Trial Champion, Znax Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Sobics School Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Makos Champion, Dino Drop Champion, Flower Frenzy Champion, Some Puzzle Champion, Funny Bubbles Champion, CubeZ Champion, Dinky Smash Champion, Fun Fun Animals Champion, Fruit Fabriek Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Rainbow Monkey RunDown Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Crime Puzzle Champion Blueneck's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    49,706
    Thanks
    27814

    From
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    Wow. I wouldn't let this kind of thing go by if it were posted by a righty, so it's only fair to give a lefty thread the same treatment.

    This OP quotes the Daily Kos, which is itself "reporting" on an op-ed in the New York Times. Here's the original: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/01/o...ly-values.html

    The Kos article doesn't even name the writer of the opinion piece from which it cherrypicks. He's Matthew Schmitz. He's identified as an editorial writer for First Things, which is a conservative Catholic journal.

    The Kos article uses none of language of the original, which characterizes these "garbage" people as having a value system between that of red Republicans and blue Democrats--he calls them "purple" values. Schmitz does everything he can to sympathize with those voters. His view of them is clinical, not judgmental. The NYT headlines labels their views "nuanced."

    The central point of the original article is that Trump's supporters are defined by socio-economic class. Here's what it actually says: The Kos article takes this objective view and labels people "garbage" and impute racism to them, even though the article itself says that such people include "white, black, and Hispanic" people. What unites them is socio-economic class--they are working class and tend to be rural.

    The Kos article also suggests that we should ignore such people and that the navel-gazing we see in publications like NYT and WashPo is counter productive--just write those people off, they are garbage.

    This runs counter to liberal values. Liberals are supposed to see our whole country as one (albeit big, fractious) FAMILY. We can't afford to write off or devalue anyone. Let so-called conservatives and Trumpists do that. Bigotry looks good on them. But this Kos article is bigotry, pretty clearly.
    When was the last time the NYT did an expose on the forgotten, hard working Democrats of America?

    I just Googled the bolded and all I got was results that criticized Dems for not being "working class " enough.

    What the fuck do they think we do all day, sit around eating bon bons?

    Liberals DO have values and they tend to be far more inclusive and not generated by a "what's in it for me" attitude.

    I think this poor, forgotten white dude drama is enough already. I live in Appalachia and I know how these people think. They are incredibly petty and petulant even towards each other if they think there is favoritism that doesn't include them at their jobs, as consumers, medical patients. They're always seeing their glass as half empty compared to someone who's glass is half full and they harbor a lot of resentment.

    I've seen even the smart ones say they don't want the minimum wage to go up because they had to work to get the extra .50 an hour and others would be getting to start.

    I've seen people brag about buying a really nice twin size headboard and frame for $10 at a yard sale when they had no use for it because they slept in a king size bead. Or buy every last one of something on sale at the grocery store and never eat it.

    What they claim are their values, really aren't a lot of the time. They have just adopted a collective view of themselves to justify all the whining and demands for equal treatment when what they really want is more.

    And all the stuff they take credit for that they DO do, is more common among liberals than anyone knows. Liberals pull together in communities when there are disasters (CA wildfires for example) and contribute to GoFundMe pages and help sick kids and vets and all the rest of it.

    I've been hearing this values crap since Bush and I'm sick of it. This is just the term people use when they vote to fuck over people because of the narrative in their heads that says "they don't deserve as much as me".
    Thanks from BDBoop, Panzareta, Friday13 and 1 others

  6. #16
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    37,079
    Thanks
    32030

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 stringer View Post
    Once again we see the democrats supporting lawlessness. Election day is going to be so great.
    Trump has had a consistent 45% approval rating since his election. I shouldn't have to spell out to you what that means.

    But if you need help...I'm here for you.
    Thanks from Friday13

  7. #17
    Wawa Skittletits BDBoop's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    43,665
    Thanks
    39132

    From
    Sometimes I get cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by OHjulie View Post
    Trump supporters are in it for spite:

    That is all that matters to them.
    It’s the reason they voted the way they did.
    It’s the reason their support is steadfast through affairs and cabinet implosions and human rights disasters and wanton ignorance.
    It’s the reason they will keep themselves tethered to him even if he is proven to have leveraged our very nation with the Russian government.

    The story, they say, is that Trump supporters see his Presidency as a big F*ck You to his predecessor, to the identity politics that they feel targeted them, and to an ever-diversifying world that they see as a threat. They want someone to stick it to the world on their behalf and this President does that.

    https://johnpavlovitz.com/2018/07/06...ote-for-spite/
    I love John.

  8. #18
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    65,557
    Thanks
    37113

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueneck View Post
    When was the last time the NYT did an expose on the forgotten, hard working Democrats of America?

    I just Googled the bolded and all I got was results that criticized Dems for not being "working class " enough.

    What the fuck do they think we do all day, sit around eating bon bons?

    Liberals DO have values and they tend to be far more inclusive and not generated by a "what's in it for me" attitude.

    I think this poor, forgotten white dude drama is enough already. I live in Appalachia and I know how these people think. They are incredibly petty and petulant even towards each other if they think there is favoritism that doesn't include them at their jobs, as consumers, medical patients. They're always seeing their glass as half empty compared to someone who's glass is half full and they harbor a lot of resentment.

    I've seen even the smart ones say they don't want the minimum wage to go up because they had to work to get the extra .50 an hour and others would be getting to start.

    I've seen people brag about buying a really nice twin size headboard and frame for $10 at a yard sale when they had no use for it because they slept in a king size bead. Or buy every last one of something on sale at the grocery store and never eat it.

    What they claim are their values, really aren't a lot of the time. They have just adopted a collective view of themselves to justify all the whining and demands for equal treatment when what they really want is more.

    And all the stuff they take credit for that they DO do, is more common among liberals than anyone knows. Liberals pull together in communities when there are disasters (CA wildfires for example) and contribute to GoFundMe pages and help sick kids and vets and all the rest of it.

    I've been hearing this values crap since Bush and I'm sick of it. This is just the term people use when they vote to fuck over people because of the narrative in their heads that says "they don't deserve as much as me".
    And yet they are our countrymen. We have to live with them and this is a democracy so they get to vote. Calling them "garbage" does nothing but make liberals as guilty of bigotry as any racist, sexist fuck from The Handmaiden's Tale. We're liberals--we can't write off anyone.

  9. #19
    Wawa Skittletits BDBoop's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    43,665
    Thanks
    39132

    From
    Sometimes I get cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueneck View Post
    When was the last time the NYT did an expose on the forgotten, hard working Democrats of America?

    I just Googled the bolded and all I got was results that criticized Dems for not being "working class " enough.

    What the fuck do they think we do all day, sit around eating bon bons?

    Liberals DO have values and they tend to be far more inclusive and not generated by a "what's in it for me" attitude.

    I think this poor, forgotten white dude drama is enough already. I live in Appalachia and I know how these people think. They are incredibly petty and petulant even towards each other if they think there is favoritism that doesn't include them at their jobs, as consumers, medical patients. They're always seeing their glass as half empty compared to someone who's glass is half full and they harbor a lot of resentment.

    I've seen even the smart ones say they don't want the minimum wage to go up because they had to work to get the extra .50 an hour and others would be getting to start.

    I've seen people brag about buying a really nice twin size headboard and frame for $10 at a yard sale when they had no use for it because they slept in a king size bead. Or buy every last one of something on sale at the grocery store and never eat it.

    What they claim are their values, really aren't a lot of the time. They have just adopted a collective view of themselves to justify all the whining and demands for equal treatment when what they really want is more.

    And all the stuff they take credit for that they DO do, is more common among liberals than anyone knows. Liberals pull together in communities when there are disasters (CA wildfires for example) and contribute to GoFundMe pages and help sick kids and vets and all the rest of it.

    I've been hearing this values crap since Bush and I'm sick of it. This is just the term people use when they vote to fuck over people because of the narrative in their heads that says "they don't deserve as much as me".
    The "DESERVE" word is really getting a workout.
    Thanks from the watchman and Friday13

  10. #20
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    65,557
    Thanks
    37113

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    The "DESERVE" word is really getting a workout.
    Strangely, it was used only once in the thread before this post.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trump supporters vs ideal human beings
    By FrankCoil82 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31st July 2016, 06:40 AM
  2. Mega sense in human beings possible
    By phoebeeB in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25th May 2011, 06:43 AM
  3. Human Beings and the Natural World
    By TortoiseDream in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 28th April 2010, 05:32 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed