Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36
Thanks Tree30Thanks

Thread: Richard Painter - 2020

  1. #11
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    50,728
    Thanks
    36264

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    That is unlikely, as he switched his party designation to Democrat in order to mount a primary challenge against Tina Smith.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Painter

    On the other hand, since he was a Republican until this year, Smith (with a substantial background in state politics) will probably win the primary, at least, in which case Painter could switch back to Republican in order to attempt to primary Trump. But I think the party-switching might make him a tad untrustworthy for partisan purposes, such that someone else would be more likely to succeed in the primary effort.

    Either way, if someone does try to primary Trump, I would switch sides and assist in the attempt, since getting Trump out is more important than whether a Democrat or Republican ultimately prevails.
    If he switches back, Ian, he would remind me of Joe Lieberman, who finally was rejected by both parties.

    Switching back and forth does not indicate loyalty.

  2. #12
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,780
    Thanks
    32861

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    If he switches back, Ian, he would remind me of Joe Lieberman, who finally was rejected by both parties.
    Lieberman, however, upon losing the 2006 Democratic primary in Connecticut, ran as a third-party candidate in the general election (which CT permits - not all states do) and won. He announced his retirement in 2011 and thus did not run again in 2012. I do not recall him running as a Republican, however, and in the 2006 general election he received Republican as well as Democratic support.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    Switching back and forth does not indicate loyalty.
    Correct, which was (part of) my point.

  3. #13
    Penny for your thots Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    87,830
    Thanks
    24452

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA


    Wow. He's so... lifelike?
    Last edited by Macduff; 9th July 2018 at 11:57 AM.

  4. #14
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    50,728
    Thanks
    36264

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Lieberman, however, upon losing the 2006 Democratic primary in Connecticut, ran as a third-party candidate in the general election (which CT permits - not all states do) and won. He announced his retirement in 2011 and thus did not run again in 2012. I do not recall him running as a Republican, however, and in the 2006 general election he received Republican as well as Democratic support.



    Correct, which was (part of) my point.
    http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...star-lieberman

  5. #15
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    13,302
    Thanks
    3267

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeRain View Post
    If he primaries Trump in 2020, Id throw my support behind him and, if he won, Id probably vote for him in the general because I cant think of anyone better to be President than a former White House ETHICS attorney. We need to fumagate the White House and I can think of no one better qualified.
    TennesseeRain,

    Hmmm, "Dick Painter for President" does have that certain ring to it....
    Thanks from pragmatic

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    10,049
    Thanks
    1669

    From
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    TennesseeRain,

    Hmmm, "Dick Painter for President" does have that certain ring to it....
    Richard Smoker is his running mate.

  7. #17
    Veteran Member ptif219's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    68,103
    Thanks
    4447

    Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeRain View Post
    you have the intelligence of gnat shit, troll
    I state facts democrats always do the same. Hat GOp and Hate Christians but love killing babies and all forms of perversion and immorality..

  8. #18
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    26,927
    Thanks
    5078

    Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeRain View Post
    If he primaries Trump in 2020, Id throw my support behind him and, if he won, Id probably vote for him in the general because I cant think of anyone better to be President than a former White House ETHICS attorney. We need to fumagate the White House and I can think of no one better qualified.
    Aim low, you going to hit low.

  9. #19
    Undercovfefe Agents TennesseeRain's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    84,749
    Thanks
    54735

    From
    In the Witness Protection Program
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post


    Wow. He's so... lifelike?
    he is smart as hell and is a decent man. I can see why Republicans would reject him.
    Thanks from MaryAnne and NightSwimmer

  10. #20
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    50,728
    Thanks
    36264

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeRain View Post
    he is smart as hell and is a decent man. I can see why Republicans would reject him.
    Richard is smart,has ethics, and would make a great Senator to replace Al, because he has the smarts,the attitude and thorough dislike of corruption Franken had.

    President, no. We need a younger person. I do not care if they are male or female.

    Gillibrand is another no. I would not trust her across the street. I let Sherrod Brown know how I felt,too.

    But that is the first time,ever I disagreed with him. His vote gave us the ACA.
    Thanks from BDBoop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 19th June 2018, 07:41 PM
  2. Professor Painter of Minnesota.
    By MaryAnne in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12th August 2017, 11:49 AM
  3. Republican Painter: It's time to impeach Trump
    By DemoWhip in forum Current Events
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 3rd August 2017, 05:18 AM
  4. Richard Poplawski to Be Put Down
    By godlessheathen in forum Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30th June 2011, 01:02 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed