Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 262
Thanks Tree401Thanks

Thread: American Kids Should Learn Other Languages

  1. #1
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    68,598
    Thanks
    50483

    From
    So. Md.

    American Kids Should Learn Other Languages

    This piece asks why some Americans are so offended by hearing other languages spoken here in the US - especially Spanish! I've been watching this show on Netflix called "The Horn". It's all about helicopter rescues on and around the Matterhorn. I hear German, French and Italian spoken and most of them speak English as well. Why is it so important to some Americans that we only speak one language?

    I don't remember this, but wtf?

    But xenophobia runs deep among far-right wingnuts, who see the use of Spanish, Mandarin and other foreign languages in public as a threat to the English language. In 2012ís Republican presidential primary, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich ran an attack ad in South Carolina that lambasted Mitt Romney for being proficient in French. According to Gingrichís ad, Romneyís French-speaking skills meant that he didnít deserve the GOPís nomination (which, of course, Romney received anyway before losing to President Obama in the general election).
    Here's Why Right-Wingers Are So Threatened by Hearing Foreign Languages in the Trump Era | The Smirking Chimp

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    70,346
    Thanks
    34209

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    This piece asks why some Americans are so offended by hearing other languages spoken here in the US - especially Spanish! I've been watching this show on Netflix called "The Horn". It's all about helicopter rescues on and around the Matterhorn. I hear German, French and Italian spoken and most of them speak English as well. Why is it so important to some Americans that we only speak one language?

    I don't remember this, but wtf?



    Here's Why Right-Wingers Are So Threatened by Hearing Foreign Languages in the Trump Era | The Smirking Chimp
    Of course, the ability to speak multiple languages has always been the mark of an educated person. I think Thomas Jefferson spoke something like 5 languages. Why on earth would any American be upset or frightened by hearing a foreign language? that makes no sense at all.
    Thanks from The Man, Wonderer, Babba and 1 others

  3. #3
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    36,936
    Thanks
    31842

    From
    SWUSA
    Id much rather have them learn American civics and how the American economy works.
    Thanks from The Man, Trumpet, Wonderer and 1 others

  4. #4
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    95,520
    Thanks
    73212

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    Why is it so important to some Americans that we only speak one language?
    An undeserved feeling of superiority is one reason.

    "I'm kind of a big deal. If you want to speak to me, learn my language. I'm not going to stoop so low as to learn yours."
    Thanks from Hollywood, BigBob, The Man and 6 others

  5. #5
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46,174
    Thanks
    28202

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    Id much rather have them learn American civics and how the American economy works.
    Or science and math, everybody speaks English these days. Even in working with China, they learn English. I dont mind if they taught languages really early like in elementary school, since kids are more sponges at that point. But in high school, these kids need to double down on other things. Plus some schools now use block scheduling which means longer periods and less classes. We do 4 classes a day here from grades 9-12. So that leaves room for math, science, English and maybe History. Some kids take arts, music, language or computers but if you are on track for college it makes it harder to fit all that in.
    Thanks from The Man, BigLeRoy, Trumpet and 1 others

  6. #6
    New Member BigBob's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    424
    Thanks
    395

    From
    My house
    When I went to school it was mandatory you take a language to learn as part of the high school program. That was 4 years of the language.
    Thanks from The Man, jacobfitcher and Wonderer

  7. #7
    The Un-Holy One The Man's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    38,522
    Thanks
    23495

    From
    Toronto
    Agreed, as someone whose four year old son already knows words from three different tongues (English, Russian, and mom's Portuguese )

    Hopefully both our boys grow up polyglots. They'll need it in the ever globalizing world we are living in.
    Thanks from Wonderer, Hollywood and Babba

  8. #8
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46,174
    Thanks
    28202

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Agreed, as someone whose four year old son already knows words from three different tongues (English, Russian, and mom's Portuguese )

    Hopefully both our boys grow up polyglots. They'll need it in the ever globalizing world we are living in.
    I would think lots of young kids today with the internet and YouTube would learn English though. I know when my kids were teens, just playing video games or watching videos, they all were speaking English. I remember a Japanese kid saying he was playing the video games just to learn English. In my limited travels, it seems most under 30 or 35 speak English very well. Older people not so much. The internet has made our world smaller.
    Thanks from The Man

  9. #9
    The Un-Holy One The Man's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    38,522
    Thanks
    23495

    From
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    I would think lots of young kids today with the internet and YouTube would learn English though. I know when my kids were teens, just playing video games or watching videos, they all were speaking English. I remember a Japanese kid saying he was playing the video games just to learn English. In my limited travels, it seems most under 30 or 35 speak English very well. Older people not so much. The internet has made our world smaller.
    Sure. In Russia, English is the most common foreign language taught in schools

    I had it too.

    Only problem is, most English taught there is based on the BRITISH dialect. When I came to Canada with what I learned back there, I didn't speak like anyone here. Said "rubbish" instead of "garbage", etc haha

  10. #10
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10,624
    Thanks
    11141

    From
    Work
    In the US Spanish shouldn't even be considered a second language. It should be taught starting in kindergarten and kids should just be expected to become proficient in it. Then when they get to high school they can pick some language that they'll probably never use, like French.

    When I was in Holland even the garbage men spoke 3 languages.
    Thanks from Dittohead not!, Babba and Blueneck

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 104
    Last Post: 28th July 2017, 06:26 PM
  2. Syrian kids will learn Russian in schools
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31st May 2014, 01:39 PM
  3. Nebraska will teach kids American exceptionalism ...
    By sedan in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10th December 2012, 10:03 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th July 2012, 04:55 AM
  5. Learn Italian and other Languages
    By feline in forum Education
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17th March 2007, 08:11 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed