Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What services should taxpayers (Gov) pay for?

  1. #1
    Chad750

    What services should taxpayers (Gov) pay for?

    In light of the information that 11 states are now in Bankruptcy, and given the current programs that are being proposed by our legislature, I was curious to know what everyone thinks we should pay for with our taxes?

    This seems to be a very important issue so what do you think?

  2. #2
    Chad750

    Re: What services should taxpayers (Gov) pay for?

    Well I wasnt quick enough with my selections to make it a poll so I guess I will have to half ass it lol

    1. defense
    2. Social Security
    3. Welfare
    4. Healthcare
    5. Highways
    6. Medicare
    7. Everything
    8. Nothing
    9. defense, Social Security, Medicare
    10. Who care we can just print more money anyway.

    You get the idea, where do you want your taxes going?

  3. #3
    wingrider

    Re: What services should taxpayers (Gov) pay for?

    check the articles of the constitution... only those things which are listed there is what government should pay for... the main one being defense ... most of the ones you have listed are social programs that should not be a government program but rather left to charities... I would kinda go along with the higway one but again that really is a state issue .. it was Eisenhaour that started the fed program on interstate

  4. #4
    freethinkr

    Re: What services should taxpayers (Gov) pay for?

    Quote Originally Posted by wingrider View Post
    check the articles of the constitution... only those things which are listed there is what government should pay for... the main one being defense ... most of the ones you have listed are social programs that should not be a government program but rather left to charities... I would kinda go along with the higway one but again that really is a state issue .. it was Eisenhaour that started the fed program on interstate
    I think he's speaking of all government, not just federal.

  5. #5
    anonnymous

    Re: What services should taxpayers (Gov) pay for?

    Pretty damn soon none of it will matter. Once our creditors stop funding our spending.

  6. #6
    wingrider

    Re: What services should taxpayers (Gov) pay for?

    Quote Originally Posted by freethinkr View Post
    I think he's speaking of all government, not just federal.
    but all of those programs on the list are federal... thats what I was going by..

  7. #7
    C-101

    Re: What services should taxpayers (Gov) pay for?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chad750 View Post
    Well I wasnt quick enough with my selections to make it a poll so I guess I will have to half ass it lol

    1. defense
    2. Social Security
    3. Welfare
    4. Healthcare
    5. Highways
    6. Medicare
    7. Everything
    8. Nothing
    9. defense, Social Security, Medicare
    10. Who care we can just print more money anyway.

    You get the idea, where do you want your taxes going?
    Let's see, how about defense, highways, and education.

    Welfare, no. Medicare, no. Medicaid, no. Social Security, no. So on and so forth.

    The amazing thing is when you get down to it, the government spends relatively few dollars on the essentials when compared to their ever-growing social experiment entitlement programs.

  8. #8
    nickcuse

    Re: What services should taxpayers (Gov) pay for?

    Quote Originally Posted by C-101 View Post
    Let's see, how about defense, highways, and education.

    Welfare, no. Medicare, no. Medicaid, no. Social Security, no. So on and so forth.

    The amazing thing is when you get down to it, the government spends relatively few dollars on the essentials when compared to their ever-growing social experiment entitlement programs.
    huh? isn't defense the largest single part of the budget?

    EDIT: nope, i'm wrong. its at least second, next to medicare/medicaid, and equal to ss:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal...(United_States)

  9. #9
    C-101

    Re: What services should taxpayers (Gov) pay for?

    Quote Originally Posted by nickcuse View Post
    huh? isn't defense the largest single part of the budget?
    Nope. As you can see, essentials total about 31% of the US federal budget, (defense + mandatory) while 61% falls under the discretionary spending category. The contrast will become sharper as the years go by, as the entitlement programs can only grow as the population grows unless Congress by some miracle reforms or removes the programs.


  10. #10
    nickcuse

    Re: What services should taxpayers (Gov) pay for?

    Quote Originally Posted by C-101 View Post
    Nope.

    i know i know.

Similar Threads

  1. Getting charged for emergency services
    By Dr Sampson Simpson in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 3rd September 2010, 01:07 PM
  2. Paying for Government Services (2nd try)
    By lakeman in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 29th November 2007, 11:20 AM
  3. Paying for Government Services
    By lakeman in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th November 2007, 01:17 PM
  4. Would You Cut Social Services Already In Place?
    By Distressed American in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 28th July 2007, 12:15 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed