Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 144

Thread: Shouldn't republican governors lead by example?

  1. #1
    Trumpaloompa Tormenter Cicero's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    36,825
    Thanks
    23803

    From
    Virginia

    Shouldn't republican governors lead by example?

    Of late we have heard, a lot, about newly elected republican governors "leading the charge" for fiscal responsibility. Does this now mean that these governors will REFUSE assistance from FEMA following a disaster? It seems to me that it should mean exactly that thing. Don't get me wrong, I genuinely believe that people who need help should get help. That's because I'm one of those "Libruls". Conservatives, however, have long advocated personal responsibility... but have been slow to apply these principles to themselves in the manner that they insist they must be applied to everyone else.

    I only ask because we are in the middle of a budget discussion which will shape the way the government responds TO events like tornadoes, floods, and other disasters. I would suggest that the right has a perfect opportunity to model how their ideas would work... by practicing what they preach. Refuse federal aid after disasters. Let's see if the population of these states will be thanking them for their wisdom or cursing them for their foolish parsimony.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    20,209
    Thanks
    10

    We should sticky this thread and update it as events happen and gauge their responses. Thoughts?

  3. #3
    Trumpaloompa Tormenter Cicero's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    36,825
    Thanks
    23803

    From
    Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    We should sticky this thread and update it as events happen and gauge their responses. Thoughts?
    I think it would be a great idea.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    20,209
    Thanks
    10

    Done.

  5. #5
    No mercy for losers Addiction Solitaire Champion, Double Deuce Champion, Queen Jewels Champion, Ray Ray Shuffle Champion, Twins Champion, Blow Up: Arcade Champion, Bunch - Time Trial Champion, Znax Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Sobics School Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Makos Champion, Dino Drop Champion, Flower Frenzy Champion, Some Puzzle Champion, Funny Bubbles Champion, CubeZ Champion, Dinky Smash Champion, Fun Fun Animals Champion, Fruit Fabriek Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Rainbow Monkey RunDown Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Crime Puzzle Champion Blueneck's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    46,710
    Thanks
    23666

    From
    Ohio
    Here's an example of how our new governor, John Kasich, sees things like salaries:

    Preliminary numbers submitted by the Kasich team to the state Office of Budget Management show that the new governorís chief of staff, Beth Hansen, will be paid $170,000 in salary, 38 percent more than the $122,990 that Mr. Stricklandís chief of staff, John Haseley, has been paid. Ms. Hansen served as Mr. Kasichís campaign manager.

    The new communications director, Scott Milburn, who worked on Mr. Kasichís campaign and previously served as press secretary to GOP Gov. Bob Taft, would be paid $120,000, 35 percent more than the $89,003 that the current communications director receives.

    And in a new position, Jai Chabria, Mr. Kasichís former office partner with Lehman Brothers in Columbus and another campaign aide, will be paid $145,000 before fringe benefits as special assistant to the governor.

    Mr. Kasichís pay will be $141,708.
    Overall, he actually spends less that the previous governor:

    Counting fringe benefits, the total salaries for the draft payroll for the governorís office submitted to the Office of Budget Management by Mr. Kasich was $5.9 million, down from nearly $6.3 million this year under Mr. Strickland. The salary numbers of the governors themselves were not included in the comparisons.

    The overall cost savings results in part from the Kasich draft having fewer total positions, 69 compared to 77 under Mr. Strickland. A number of positions have been combined under the Kasich plan.
    But I think how he does it is an example of what he has in store for the entire state. More money to the top people, jobs created for his friends and former business associates, fewer jobs (with more job duties) and less money for everyone else.

  6. #6
    Trumpaloompa Tormenter Cicero's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    36,825
    Thanks
    23803

    From
    Virginia
    Let's look at North Dakota first. Apparently FEMA is responding to floods in North Dakota? Is taking FEMA aid REALLY a sign of personal responsibility? " Dalrymple said he also is pressing for a presidential emergency declaration so all available resources can be in place before the Red River crests." Sounds like a conservative republican leading the charge to public largesse at the federal level. As a "Librul" I think that everyone who needs help should get it, but... that's because I'm a "Librul".
    Breaking News : FEMA sends team to North Dakota (Wahpeton, ND and Breckenridge, Minn.)

  7. #7
    No mercy for losers Addiction Solitaire Champion, Double Deuce Champion, Queen Jewels Champion, Ray Ray Shuffle Champion, Twins Champion, Blow Up: Arcade Champion, Bunch - Time Trial Champion, Znax Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Sobics School Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Makos Champion, Dino Drop Champion, Flower Frenzy Champion, Some Puzzle Champion, Funny Bubbles Champion, CubeZ Champion, Dinky Smash Champion, Fun Fun Animals Champion, Fruit Fabriek Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Rainbow Monkey RunDown Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Crime Puzzle Champion Blueneck's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    46,710
    Thanks
    23666

    From
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Let's look at North Dakota first. Apparently FEMA is responding to floods in North Dakota? Is taking FEMA aid REALLY a sign of personal responsibility? " Dalrymple said he also is pressing for a presidential emergency declaration so all available resources can be in place before the Red River crests." Sounds like a conservative republican leading the charge to public largesse at the federal level. As a "Librul" I think that everyone who needs help should get it, but... that's because I'm a "Librul".
    Breaking News : FEMA sends team to North Dakota (Wahpeton, ND and Breckenridge, Minn.)
    They should take personal responsibility for the fact God is obviously punishing them for outlawing abortion.

  8. #8
    Join, or Die nonsqtr's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    32,903
    Thanks
    4667

    From
    Vertiform City
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Let's look at North Dakota first. Apparently FEMA is responding to floods in North Dakota? Is taking FEMA aid REALLY a sign of personal responsibility? " Dalrymple said he also is pressing for a presidential emergency declaration so all available resources can be in place before the Red River crests." Sounds like a conservative republican leading the charge to public largesse at the federal level. As a "Librul" I think that everyone who needs help should get it, but... that's because I'm a "Librul".
    Breaking News : FEMA sends team to North Dakota (Wahpeton, ND and Breckenridge, Minn.)
    I don't understand. Why would any governor refuse federal aid? If nothing else, the locals can get low interest loans to rebuild.

  9. #9
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,770
    Thanks
    283

    From
    Cary
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Of late we have heard, a lot, about newly elected republican governors "leading the charge" for fiscal responsibility. Does this now mean that these governors will REFUSE assistance from FEMA following a disaster? It seems to me that it should mean exactly that thing. Don't get me wrong, I genuinely believe that people who need help should get help. That's because I'm one of those "Libruls". Conservatives, however, have long advocated personal responsibility... but have been slow to apply these principles to themselves in the manner that they insist they must be applied to everyone else.

    I only ask because we are in the middle of a budget discussion which will shape the way the government responds TO events like tornadoes, floods, and other disasters. I would suggest that the right has a perfect opportunity to model how their ideas would work... by practicing what they preach. Refuse federal aid after disasters. Let's see if the population of these states will be thanking them for their wisdom or cursing them for their foolish parsimony.
    I think a person will do what he or she thinks is right. Thatís what I like about Conservatives. Yes, we may have some Liberal views, some rep and dem views but when it comes down to it we sleep at night. I have my problems with reps and dems and I wonít side with them if I think they are wrong. A con that bends to please a dem or rep is not a con at all.

  10. #10
    Trumpaloompa Tormenter Cicero's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    36,825
    Thanks
    23803

    From
    Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    I don't understand. Why would any governor refuse federal aid? If nothing else, the locals can get low interest loans to rebuild.
    Because it's socialism and it violates the rule of personal responsibility.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Obama helps governors to help himself
    By Politico in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th August 2010, 02:13 AM
  2. Dem governors point finger at D.C.
    By Politico in forum Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11th July 2010, 06:59 AM
  3. Premiers and Governors meet
    By AgentM in forum World Politics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21st February 2010, 08:32 AM
  4. Democrat Governors want 1 trillion
    By Six in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2nd January 2009, 06:23 PM
  5. Who makes better Presidents - Governors or Senators?
    By spud438 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 9th December 2007, 07:31 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed