Members banned from this thread: TennesseeRain and Mayor Snorkum


Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 273
Thanks Tree219Thanks

Thread: Why Republicans Have Trouble with Women's Votes

  1. #241
    Senior Member Kontrary's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,712
    Thanks
    3018

    From
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Its more the male mentality I am thinking of. If a young man feels a girl is "safe" and wont get pregnant is he more likely to take advantage of her? I don't know, but speaking with a teacher here she says the males in her class are indicating that this might be the case. They think girls will be "easier" and less "inhibited" and will like their advances. I know its caveman style at best but if that is what they are thinking, we may have to address more education or parental involvement.
    I just dont recognize this....boys still risk a pregnancy which can mean a baby they dont want/arent ready for. Thats not a difficult thing to understand.
    Thanks from Cicero

  2. #242
    Senior Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    15,237
    Thanks
    5071

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by highway234 View Post
    Do boys really refrain from rape because they worry the victim might get pregnant? i'd like to see empirical evidence for that.
    Yes according to some on the extreme right. I have heard several "preachers" and "experts" who say exactly this. They have this theme where "its natural for boys and its up to the women to stop them" crap. They have been ranting and raving about how Obama and the "radical left handing out birth control like candy" will force boys to not be able to help themselves. It will be a free for all and lead to gang rapes and what not. Scary stuff. Normally I would laugh it off but they have a lot of followers out there....

    Perkins: Obama to Blame for Rape Dispatches from the Culture Wars
    Thanks from highway234 and scout

  3. #243
    Senior Member Kontrary's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,712
    Thanks
    3018

    From
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    Women generally do like security and look for resources to help them maintain their security.

    Big government is their friend.
    Yea cause men dont like security, or resources to help them maintain their security
    Thanks from Vortex, Babba and Cicero

  4. #244
    Shhhhhh.... Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    46,565
    Thanks
    12936

    From
    Washington
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Yes according to some on the extreme right. I have heard several "preachers" and "experts" who say exactly this. They have this theme where "its natural for boys and its up to the women to stop them" crap. They have been ranting and raving about how Obama and the "radical left handing out birth control like candy" will force boys to not be able to help themselves. It will be a free for all and lead to gang rapes and what not. Scary stuff. Normally I would laugh it off but they have a lot of followers out there....

    Perkins: Obama to Blame for Rape Dispatches from the Culture Wars
    They don't only say it about "boys", evidently even grown men can't control these instincts and women should just put up with it.

    Pat Robertson: "He cheated on you, well, he's a man."
    Thanks from bajisima, Cicero and Vortex

  5. #245
    Semantic Secret Service Cicero's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    25,539
    Thanks
    8478

    From
    Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    I am not saying to curtail the availability but I worry about the old "boys will be boys" mentality coming back full strength. Like you say parents and educators will need to do a better job but I know a lot of parents of boys just don't care. In case anyone hasn't noticed, todays young males are a bit more aggressive than they used to be and angrier. I just don't want to see rapes and assaults skyrocket because the boys are carefree leaving the girls guilty that they didn't protect themselves. Young males in particular tend to have a "pack mentality" and do things to be cool.
    Let's just stop for a moment.

    Birth control has NOTHING to do with rape or boys being "more aggressive." It simply doesn't.
    Rapists aren't likely to know, or care, whether the woman they are raping is "on the pill."

    What the argument about birth control is really about is control. Men wanting to control women. Christians wanting to control promiscuity. Women wanting control of their own bodies.

    IF I can see this fact, as a man, then women SHOULD be able to see it as well.
    Thanks from Vortex

  6. #246
    Senior Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    15,237
    Thanks
    5071

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    They don't only say it about "boys", evidently even grown men can't control these instincts and women should just put up with it.

    Pat Robertson: "He cheated on you, well, he's a man."
    Exactly. Around here the big thing with the young boys is getting the girl "on the pill" to date you because of course she must be easy. Now those same boys apparently are assuming "every girl is on the pill because its free.

  7. #247
    Semantic Secret Service Cicero's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    25,539
    Thanks
    8478

    From
    Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    If you are a parent at this school you should jerk you kid(s) out immediately - the issues you discuss are parental and custodial in nature, what are you teaching your children and what are they being taught.

    I know of no male who thinks birth control equals victim and that a female on birth control deserves to be assaulted or raped.

    The thinking reflected in your post is scarey as all heck and it hasn't a thing to do with birth control.
    I heartily concur.

    If my nieces were in a school, where the teacher said such things, I would be horrified. I would certainly make sure my sister was aware of it.

  8. #248
    Semantic Secret Service Cicero's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    25,539
    Thanks
    8478

    From
    Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    Women generally do like security and look for resources to help them maintain their security.

    Big government is their friend.
    IF ignorance is bliss then you must be orgasmic.
    Thanks from TennesseeRain and Vortex

  9. #249
    The Crazy Boomer Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    40,534
    Thanks
    12302

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Exactly. Around here the big thing with the young boys is getting the girl "on the pill" to date you because of course she must be easy. Now those same boys apparently are assuming "every girl is on the pill because its free.
    I agree that males don't need more excuses not to be just as responsible about BC and diseases as females are. And it's unfortunate that so many misunderstand what women are asking for as far as BC. The whole issue came up because some employers don't want the health insurance offered to their employees to cover BC. Women aren't getting free BC anymore than than anyone is getting free prescriptions. This misunderstanding came about because of the right distorting the whole issue and screeching that the sluts just want free BC.
    Thanks from Vortex and Cicero

  10. #250
    Senior Member Kontrary's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,712
    Thanks
    3018

    From
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Exactly. Around here the big thing with the young boys is getting the girl "on the pill" to date you because of course she must be easy. Now those same boys apparently are assuming "every girl is on the pill because its free.
    That sounds like the arguments they made in the 60's and 70's against birth control. If boys are thinking that, someone is teaching them that...culture or closer ties (like friends, teachers, parents, church etc). It also indicates that girls are supposed to "be hard to get" instead of "easy"...but no such rule exists for the boys? They get to be "easy" and thats a good thing? Those ideals would have to have been formed before they have a girlfriend they try to talk into going on the pill so she will be "easy".
    Thanks from Cicero

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed