Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
Thanks Tree18Thanks

Thread: Life comes at you fast...

  1. #11
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    18,050
    Thanks
    9669

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    I can remember working at an exclusive store when I was young. They actually sold furs.

    The owner got plastered and hit on almost every woman there. We just laughed at him and stepped away.
    The holiday parties I attend now are far different from the ones I attended back in the day. They seem to be more eloquent or something. I have been thinking about sexual harassment a lot since all this has surfaced. What is considered sexual harassment today than it was back then, even the acts are different. I remember men telling me something like, "he could put a sparkle in my eye and spring in my step if I just gave him a hour" and I would laugh and joke back saying he was too tame for me. LOL Never, do I remember anyone exposing their junk at me or anyone else, or grope, grab, or really touch me inappropriately. I also worked my way through college as a bartender when in my 20's...guys would say stuff, but since I made sure their glasses were never empty, I let a lot of it go. I most definitely did not give them an opportunity of being alone with me. I knew that would create a awkward situation for me. I am not sure what I would have done if one of them whipped out his package, probably would have hosed him down with tonic water. LOL
    Thanks from boontito and Puzzling Evidence

  2. #12
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    45,360
    Thanks
    35059

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    Reported...you said lubricated!! Many companies have moved away from a open bar these days for liability reasons such as drunk driving accidents after the party. I guess it is not the 80's anymore, where women sat on the bosses lap while wearing a Santa suit...for a Kodak moment. Office parties used to be quite wild back in the day.
    Just went to a big company party for my husband - open bar. Also the company picked up the tab for anyone who wanted to stay at the hotel it was being held at - because yeah, they didn't want the liability of drunk drivers.
    Thanks from Friday13

  3. #13
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    18,050
    Thanks
    9669

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Just went to a big company party for my husband - open bar. Also the company picked up the tab for anyone who wanted to stay at the hotel it was being held at - because yeah, they didn't want the liability of drunk drivers.
    My husband has a party this year at the Rock Hall. I have attended parties there before as well as weddings. It is a blast of a venue. They are doing drink tickets then the rest is on you to purchase. From what I have seen over the last few years, people don't get that polluted and staggering around drunk anymore, even the younger ones. His company invites a lot of major clients and it is not really a good idea to get too stupid in front of them. LOL

  4. #14
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    45,360
    Thanks
    35059

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    My husband has a party this year at the Rock Hall. I have attended parties there before as well as weddings. It is a blast of a venue. They are doing drink tickets then the rest is on you to purchase. From what I have seen over the last few years, people don't get that polluted and staggering around drunk anymore, even the younger ones. His company invites a lot of major clients and it is not really a good idea to get too stupid in front of them. LOL
    I do know a few people that got really hammered. It was a company only event.

    I'm always entertained because I don't drink

  5. #15
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    43,363
    Thanks
    27986

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    It wasn't specifically about "sexual harassment fears."

    Here's the actual memo:

    Hello all,

    We invite you and a guest to join us at Vox Media’s holiday party on December 12 at Freehold. Details are in the invite - please click to RSVP by Wednesday, December 6th.

    A note on alcohol at this event: This year, at the request of many of you, we will ramp up the food and cut down on the drinks. There will be more passed hors d’oeuvres to keep everyone well-fed. And instead of an open bar, each attendee will receive two drink tickets with which they can get alcoholic drinks if they choose. After that only non-alcoholic drinks will be available.

    We recognize that even though alcohol isn’t always the reason for unprofessional behavior, creating an environment that encourages overconsumption certainly contributes to it. We hope that you all appreciate the spirit of this change and we look forward to celebrating with you!

    Sincerely, The Experiential Team
    Thanks from Friday13

  6. #16
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    88,657
    Thanks
    64529

    From
    out of nowhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    Maybe they should try having some good character. Alcohol is no excuse.
    Many religious people argue every day that abstaining from alcohol is in fact a sign of good character.

    I don't know. Seems they could've gone either way but made a responsible choice. Doesn't really matter as the decision wasn't made, and isn't being criticized, based on character or morals. This was a decision made by either HR or company lawyers.

  7. #17
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    88,657
    Thanks
    64529

    From
    out of nowhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    My husband has a party this year at the Rock Hall. I have attended parties there before as well as weddings. It is a blast of a venue. They are doing drink tickets then the rest is on you to purchase. From what I have seen over the last few years, people don't get that polluted and staggering around drunk anymore, even the younger ones. His company invites a lot of major clients and it is not really a good idea to get too stupid in front of them. LOL
    Yeah. Being the stumbling drunk at the office party these days comes with a bigger social stigma than it used to. Plus, you can very quickly end up on YouTube now too.

  8. #18
    Retired Admin Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    83,624
    Thanks
    22362

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    Many religious people argue every day that abstaining from alcohol is in fact a sign of good character.

    I don't know. Seems they could've gone either way but made a responsible choice. Doesn't really matter as the decision wasn't made, and isn't being criticized, based on character or morals. This was a decision made by either HR or company lawyers.
    Vox was arguing from a misrepresentation of the Pence rule. It wasn't because he wasn't able to control himself and would sexually assault any woman he was alone with. It was to protect his and her reputation. Rumors couldn't be started of some kind of interoffice affair because he eliminated any opportunity for it. He didn't put himself in a situation with a woman that could be misread by others. You can have the highest character possible, but if someone spends a lot of time behind closed doors with a woman who isn't his wife, or is out having drinks with her, then people start to talk. People who want to attack him with rumor mongering or even envious coworkers who want to smear her reputation by implying that any advancement she made was because of sexual favors. Good character doesn't protect people from vicious rumors. The Pence rule protects all parties involved from that. And it's also an assurance to Mrs. Pence. She objectively knows that he isn't messing around on her. It's not just an article of trust. Plus, she's spared the humiliation of rumors that her husband is cheating.
    The Vox people on the other hand, actually don't trust their staff to combine alcohol and women.
    Thanks from Puzzling Evidence

  9. #19
    Senior Member Loki's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10,050
    Thanks
    3760

    From
    East coast USA
    Open Bar ?
    Lol a scandal waiting to happen.
    Every time, no exceptions- get that many together, add open bar, one of the folks that have alcohol weakness will commit an infraction.

  10. #20
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    88,657
    Thanks
    64529

    From
    out of nowhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    The Vox people on the other hand, actually don't trust their staff to combine alcohol and women.
    That's bending the circumstances to fit your argument. They don't trust or distrust their staff. Why don't they have a handgun party and leave weapons and ammo around the break room every second Tuesday? Is it because they don't trust their staff? A bar will sell a bottle of beer to anyone who comes in the door. Do they do that because they trust every single person who walks in to combine alcohol with women or whatever else they plan to interact with that night? It was an HR or legal decision to reduce the risk of something happening. Maybe they have their eye on Mel from purchasing based on past behavior. As convenient as it is for your argument, highly doubtful that they looked at their staff as a whole and decided they weren't trustworthy with alcohol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 86
    Last Post: 29th January 2017, 02:50 PM
  2. Choosing life and giving your life
    By mrmike in forum Current Events
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 18th February 2015, 08:35 AM
  3. Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life -
    By Jaya Jagannath in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 9th December 2013, 05:50 AM
  4. Atheist life versus religous life.
    By Zarathustra in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 160
    Last Post: 6th November 2007, 07:11 AM
  5. Death Penalty or Life in Jail? This is for your life
    By TenGig in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 13th June 2007, 09:31 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed