Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
Thanks Tree31Thanks

Thread: Furious Koch Brothers Sell Paul Ryan on eBay

  1. #11
    Veteran Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    18,896
    Thanks
    12957

    From
    My own world
    Quote Originally Posted by a777pilot View Post
    After the NOV elections, the Republicans ought to elect Newt Gingrich as the Speaker of the House. He has the experience and works well with Trump.
    Wouldn't he actually have to be an elected Representative to do that?
    Thanks from Friday13

  2. #12
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    41,964
    Thanks
    44162

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    Wouldn't he actually have to be an elected Representative to do that?
    And the GOP would have to still have a majority in the House of Representatives as well. Hope springs eternal in the right wing soul....
    Thanks from Friday13

  3. #13
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    38,922
    Thanks
    37119

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    Wouldn't he actually have to be an elected Representative to do that?

    No. The Speaker need not be a member of Congress, but the minority party does not get to choose the Speaker.
    Thanks from a777pilot, Blueneck and Friday13

  4. #14
    Member a777pilot's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,084
    Thanks
    251

    From
    Flower Mound, TX (In the basement)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    And the GOP would have to still have a majority in the House of Representatives as well. Hope springs eternal in the right wing soul....
    No, he would not. The members of the House can elect anyone they please as speaker. However, the chances of that actually happening would be on the same level as Hillary telling the truth.

  5. #15
    the "good" prag pragmatic's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    31,373
    Thanks
    19528

    From
    between Moon and NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by a777pilot View Post
    No, he would not. The members of the House can elect anyone they please as speaker. However, the chances of that actually happening would be on the same level as Hillary telling the truth.
    Maybe in theory. But it is unlikely that any Democrats are going to vote for Gingrich as Speaker.

    Which is sorta why the Party with the Majority rules the roost.

  6. #16
    Veteran Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    18,896
    Thanks
    12957

    From
    My own world
    Quote Originally Posted by a777pilot View Post
    No, he would not. The members of the House can elect anyone they please as speaker. However, the chances of that actually happening would be on the same level as Hillary telling the truth.
    Funny because someone in another thread a while back said they hoped Hillary would become the majority leader of the House and I thought that was strange. Now hearing you say this I get why they said that about Hillary. I don't think anybody not elected to the House should be engaged as a leader or minority leader regardless of party, especially old work horses already having once seen their place in the sun.
    Thanks from Blueneck and Friday13

  7. #17
    Flibbertigibbet Wonderer's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2014
    Posts
    26,278
    Thanks
    17549

    From
    Missouri
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    Funny because someone in another thread a while back said they hoped Hillary would become the majority leader of the House and I thought that was strange. Now hearing you say this I get why they said that about Hillary. I don't think anybody not elected to the House should be engaged as a leader or minority leader regardless of party, especially old work horses already having once seen their place in the sun.
    I don't believe the Majority (or Minority) leader spot can go to a non-House member. Just the Speakership. (Now I'm going to go look to be sure.)
    Thanks from Blueneck

  8. #18
    Shut up and vote Addiction Solitaire Champion, Double Deuce Champion, Queen Jewels Champion, Ray Ray Shuffle Champion, Twins Champion, Blow Up: Arcade Champion, Bunch - Time Trial Champion, Znax Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Sobics School Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Makos Champion, Dino Drop Champion, Flower Frenzy Champion, Some Puzzle Champion, Funny Bubbles Champion, CubeZ Champion, Dinky Smash Champion, Fun Fun Animals Champion, Fruit Fabriek Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Rainbow Monkey RunDown Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Crime Puzzle Champion Blueneck's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    49,683
    Thanks
    27782

    From
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by a777pilot View Post
    After the NOV elections, the Republicans ought to elect Newt Gingrich as the Speaker of the House. He has the experience and works well with Trump.
    Wouldn't Gingrich have to first occupy a seat in the House in order to be elected speaker?

    Never mind. Shoulda kept reading.

  9. #19
    Shut up and vote Addiction Solitaire Champion, Double Deuce Champion, Queen Jewels Champion, Ray Ray Shuffle Champion, Twins Champion, Blow Up: Arcade Champion, Bunch - Time Trial Champion, Znax Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Sobics School Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Makos Champion, Dino Drop Champion, Flower Frenzy Champion, Some Puzzle Champion, Funny Bubbles Champion, CubeZ Champion, Dinky Smash Champion, Fun Fun Animals Champion, Fruit Fabriek Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Rainbow Monkey RunDown Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Crime Puzzle Champion Blueneck's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    49,683
    Thanks
    27782

    From
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by a777pilot View Post
    No, he would not. The members of the House can elect anyone they please as speaker. However, the chances of that actually happening would be on the same level as Hillary telling the truth.
    Does he get a vote?
    Thanks from Friday13

  10. #20
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    38,922
    Thanks
    37119

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueneck View Post
    Does he get a vote?
    No. He, or she, would not be allowed to vote.
    Thanks from Blueneck and Friday13

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26th November 2016, 03:05 PM
  2. Koch Brothers Will Not
    By MaryAnne in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3rd March 2016, 04:22 AM
  3. Koch brothers
    By Isalexi in forum Current Events
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 23rd April 2015, 08:58 AM
  4. Koch Brothers in serious hot water in NC
    By BDBoop in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 10th October 2014, 08:17 AM
  5. Evil Koch Brothers At It Again
    By zam-zam in forum Current Events
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10th June 2014, 08:05 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed