Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
Thanks Tree19Thanks

Thread: Factions of the Right

  1. #1
    Moderator libertariat720's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,040
    Thanks
    2182

    From
    ohio

    Factions of the Right

    So recent discussions here have got me thinking about just how many little factions there are on the right at the moment. I actually don't see the same thing on the left. I see centrists and progressives over there. Here's my breakdown:

    You have the Neo-cons like Lindsey Graham and John McCain.

    Libertarian types like Rand Paul and Mike Lee.

    "Moderates" like Reince Preibus and Paul Ryan. They are actually more in line with the neo-cons come to think about it.

    And the Nationalists like Trump and Bannon.

    Remember all of the "never trumpers" are still out there. They just fell in line because Trump is now the president. And polls showed that they did actually end up voting for him. That was one of the main factors in the election I think that gets ignored, the high percentage of Republicans who "came home". Right now, there are rumors that there is an internal power struggle between Reince Preibus and his crew of "moderates" and Bannon's "National populism". All this and Trump was a registered Democrat up until September of 2009! Can you believe that?

    So the question is, who prevails? Where does congress draw the line, and where or when does Trump compromise. The great thing about executive orders is that they are relatively weak though. Trump can't rule from his desk, he needs congress's help. What he does on foreign policy though is anyone's guess. So far, bad.

    I actually have faith in my more libertarian senators like Rand Paul and Mike Lee that they won't vote based solely on party lines. But other than that? No faith.

    I have a feeling that this Trump presidency will usher in and cement a National populist wing in the republican party for a long time.

  2. #2
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    35,756
    Thanks
    37857

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by libertariat720 View Post
    So recent discussions here have got me thinking about just how many little factions there are on the right at the moment. I actually don't see the same thing on the left. I see centrists and progressives over there. Here's my breakdown:

    You have the Neo-cons like Lindsey Graham and John McCain.

    Libertarian types like Rand Paul and Mike Lee.

    "Moderates" like Reince Preibus and Paul Ryan. They are actually more in line with the neo-cons come to think about it.

    And the Nationalists like Trump and Bannon.

    Remember all of the "never trumpers" are still out there. They just fell in line because Trump is now the president. And polls showed that they did actually end up voting for him. That was one of the main factors in the election I think that gets ignored, the high percentage of Republicans who "came home". Right now, there are rumors that there is an internal power struggle between Reince Preibus and his crew of "moderates" and Bannon's "National populism". All this and Trump was a registered Democrat up until September of 2009! Can you believe that?

    So the question is, who prevails? Where does congress draw the line, and where or when does Trump compromise. The great thing about executive orders is that they are relatively weak though. Trump can't rule from his desk, he needs congress's help. What he does on foreign policy though is anyone's guess. So far, bad.

    I actually have faith in my more libertarian senators like Rand Paul and Mike Lee that they won't vote based solely on party lines. But other than that? No faith.

    I have a feeling that this Trump presidency will usher in and cement a National populist wing in the republican party for a long time.
    Trump is ignoring his populist promises from the campaign and focusing exclusively on his nationalist policies.

    You'll notice that President Trump often talks about "workers" but it is almost always in the vein of protecting American workers from abuse by foreigners. Especially since the Trump virtually never speaks about wages. And he never spoke about wealth inequality, financial security provided by programs like Medicare and Social Security, let alone worker protections or labor unions. One might add job security, affordable education for children and retirement security generally to the list of the undiscussed. The real theme is one Trump articulated clearly yesterday in his National Prayer Breakfast speech: "We have to be tough. It's time we're going to be a little tough, folks. We're taking advantage of by every nation in the world virtually. It's not going to happen anymore. It's not going to happen anymore."
    It Was Never Populism. It's Nationalism
    Thanks from EnigmaO01 and libertariat720

  3. #3
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    42,228
    Thanks
    30255

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Paul Ryan is no moderate. He is worse than Mitch. Mitch wants to look good,so he will be moderate.

    Ryan is an Ayn Rand fan. One of the worst of Ayn's fantasies.

    Funny that Ryan grew up on SS when his father died.Ayn ended up on SS? Both hated it.
    Thanks from EnigmaO01 and One

  4. #4
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    55,182
    Thanks
    10077

    From
    By the wall
    There are just as many factions on the left, the democrats just suppress them with hate though. If you speak out against anything the liberalist progressives (who currently run the party) you will be demonized and run out of the party like the Blue Dogs were.

    So they all shut up and go along with it.

    You can see that on this forum. Rarely will you ever see a lefty speak out against their own party but those of us on the right have no problem finding fault with ours, such as the OP showed in his example with Trump and foreign policy. You will never hear a leftist here complain that they are doing anything wrong even if they think there is a problem.
    Thanks from libertariat720

  5. #5
    Moderator libertariat720's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,040
    Thanks
    2182

    From
    ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    There are just as many factions on the left, the democrats just suppress them with hate though. If you speak out against anything the liberalist progressives (who currently run the party) you will be demonized and run out of the party like the Blue Dogs were.

    So they all shut up and go along with it.

    You can see that on this forum. Rarely will you ever see a lefty speak out against their own party but those of us on the right have no problem finding fault with ours, such as the OP showed in his example with Trump and foreign policy. You will never hear a leftist here complain that they are doing anything wrong even if they think there is a problem.
    I'm inclined to agree with you.

    The progressives on the left think the centrists are why they lost and are even more determined to go further left. Now they are being more aggressive about things because they think the situation is more urgent than ever with Trump in office, who isn't really a true conservative. He's a Nationalist that has Republican policies.

  6. #6
    Moderator libertariat720's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,040
    Thanks
    2182

    From
    ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    Trump is ignoring his populist promises from the campaign and focusing exclusively on his nationalist policies.



    It Was Never Populism. It's Nationalism
    From his first speech announcing his run he appealed to populism by way of nationalism.

  7. #7
    In the Human Network Babylon's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,351
    Thanks
    3708

    From
    Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by libertariat720 View Post
    So recent discussions here have got me thinking about just how many little factions there are on the right at the moment. I actually don't see the same thing on the left. I see centrists and progressives over there. Here's my breakdown:

    You have the Neo-cons like Lindsey Graham and John McCain.

    Libertarian types like Rand Paul and Mike Lee.

    "Moderates" like Reince Preibus and Paul Ryan. They are actually more in line with the neo-cons come to think about it.

    And the Nationalists like Trump and Bannon.

    Remember all of the "never trumpers" are still out there. They just fell in line because Trump is now the president. And polls showed that they did actually end up voting for him. That was one of the main factors in the election I think that gets ignored, the high percentage of Republicans who "came home". Right now, there are rumors that there is an internal power struggle between Reince Preibus and his crew of "moderates" and Bannon's "National populism". All this and Trump was a registered Democrat up until September of 2009! Can you believe that?

    So the question is, who prevails? Where does congress draw the line, and where or when does Trump compromise. The great thing about executive orders is that they are relatively weak though. Trump can't rule from his desk, he needs congress's help. What he does on foreign policy though is anyone's guess. So far, bad.

    I actually have faith in my more libertarian senators like Rand Paul and Mike Lee that they won't vote based solely on party lines. But other than that? No faith.

    I have a feeling that this Trump presidency will usher in and cement a National populist wing in the republican party for a long time.
    There is no Right or Left..

  8. #8
    One
    One is offline
    10 Year Survivor One's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,901
    Thanks
    6378

    From
    ----> X <----
    Quote Originally Posted by libertariat720 View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with you.

    The progressives on the left think the centrists are why they lost and are even more determined to go further left. Now they are being more aggressive about things because they think the situation is more urgent than ever with Trump in office, who isn't really a true conservative. He's a Nationalist that has Republican policies.
    Yes, the left has gone too far to the left. But on the other hand,the right is on track to make the same mistakes. All you have to do is read some of the comments from the trump supporters here to see the truth in that statement.

    As for trump being a conservative, I agree 100% with you on that.

  9. #9
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    55,182
    Thanks
    10077

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by libertariat720 View Post
    From his first speech announcing his run he appealed to populism by way of nationalism.
    Pretty much, it's how FDR actually stayed in office so long which people do not really think about. There have been a few presidents that won office the same way Trump did.

    It's funny, if you go back and read old papers from say the 19th century it is almost a carbon copy of what people are saying about Trump, sometimes even worse.

    People tend to forget history and consider the times they are living in as the absolute worse it's ever been and that's fairly silly.

  10. #10
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    55,182
    Thanks
    10077

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    Yes, the left has gone too far to the left. But on the other hand,the right is on track to make the same mistakes. All you have to do is read some of the comments from the trump supporters here to see the truth in that statement.

    As for trump being a conservative, I agree 100% with you on that.
    I haven't really seen any gung ho Trump supporters here, only those of us who debate the liberals on their ridiculous remarks.

    I also don't remember anyone claiming Trump is a conservative, hell even I have said many times that he is more liberal than Hillary is.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The GOF (Grand Old Factions)
    By vikingbeast in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28th July 2015, 07:27 AM
  2. Multi-Party Politics Through Big Tent Party Factions
    By Suppiluliuma in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23rd January 2015, 07:45 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed