Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 71
Thanks Tree48Thanks

Thread: Third Party?

  1. #41
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    58,720
    Thanks
    28745

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Utter bullshit.
    Hardly. There seems to be a contest between the Democrats and Republicans about who will compromise the least.
    Thanks from boontito and bajisima

  2. #42
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48,153
    Thanks
    34130

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Sanders has always been like that though. He used to be a member of the Liberty Union party and then the Peoples Party which used to go after both republicans and democrats in Vermont. His true ties are still with the Peoples party in Vermont which is why he remains an indie. Truth be told, I don't understand why the DNC allowed him to run. I think they feared if they said no he would run third party and mess up the election like Nader. I do think based on what I read, his supporters are trying to get the Peoples Party on the national stage or at least the Democratic Socialist Party on ballots. We have had them up here on state and local elections and I know they are aiming for national status.

    Democratic Socialists make headway in U.S. after Trump's win | Reuters
    Thank you for coming to the conclusion I have held all along. That is why I feel that Tom Perez needs to be dumped out of the DNC,along with Ellison,a Bernie backer.

    Neither one represent the Democratic Party. And to think Biden backed Perez.

    I want Democrats running the party,not far left Socialists. I reject them.

  3. #43
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48,153
    Thanks
    34130

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Chipps View Post
    I read the article and I'm not impressed. The writer seemed to think it was a good thing that Bill Clinton moved the Demo party to the right. He never mentioned labor.

    Right now the American working man has no representation. We need a labor party. The Demos have gone too far right in their quest for campaign money.

    But as long as it takes millions of dollars to get elected we will continue to have crappy government.
    And that WAS the basis of the Democratic Party. Needs to be again.

  4. #44
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48,153
    Thanks
    34130

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Hardly. There seems to be a contest between the Democrats and Republicans about who will compromise the least.
    I disagree,Ian. The main base of the Democratic Party has always been about compromise. Problem is, you have to have some one to negotiate with. A few smart Republicans are beginning to realize this.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  5. #45
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    43,792
    Thanks
    26149

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Utter bullshit.

    Our leaders compromise far more than we have ever had.

    Remember caning or duels?

    They don't happen anymore.

    Remember the Civil War?

    That was a big one.

    What do we have now......an argument about raising the debt ceiling?

    lol
    We don't even have that. We have the leaders of both parties going on the news and giving their version of the story. They don't even sit down together. At least with a duel or even a full blown argument, they are together arguing their points. They don't even talk to each other nowadays. Its all done by the news. That's not compromise.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  6. #46
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    61,555
    Thanks
    11208

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    We don't even have that. We have the leaders of both parties going on the news and giving their version of the story. They don't even sit down together. At least with a duel or even a full blown argument, they are together arguing their points. They don't even talk to each other nowadays. Its all done by the news. That's not compromise.
    How many examples would you like.

    Obama wanted unemployment benefits extended, the right wanted Bush tax cuts extended, they compromised and it happened.

    You think that because they fight on a couple big issue things that they don't compromise but even the most recently divided congress passed far more legislation than we ever did in the beginning.

    What do you think "pork" is in a bill?

    Its a compromise.

    I think the founders would roll over in their grave if they saw how much legislation gets rapid fired through our current congress.

  7. #47
    Swamper chaos's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    3,320
    Thanks
    1501

    From
    Cyberia
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterPill View Post
    I don't see why a third party wouldn't also try and stay in power by any means necessary.
    It's difficult for Bob Schneider to make a linear argument when his premise is based on total bullshit. Anyone who paid attention to Ross Perot knows that we would not be in this mess if he had been elected president. The establishment wants us to believe that a third party candidate won't work in our 2 party system but that's because they will say and do anything to hold onto power.

    I'm surprised to see those here agreeing with Schneider.


    Usually when people are sad, they don't do anything. They just cry over their condition. But when they get angry, they bring about a change.
    ~Malcolm X

  8. #48
    New Member
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    456

    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    He was only stating fact in relation to Bill. I didn't get the impression that he thought it was a good idea.

    I agree that working people need more representation. But working within the Democratic party is the better way to go about that.

    Yes, we need campaign finance reform.
    I don't know if there is any room in the Democratic party for working people.

    Obama was pushing trade deals that would further weaken that part of the economy seen by working folks. Democrats ,just like the Repubs but quieter, have been lowering tax rates on the top since the end of WWII.

    That we don't have European style healthcare right now shows how both political parties put the welfare of the insurance industry ahead of the welfare of the people.

  9. #49
    Human Bean KnotaFrayed's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    14,226
    Thanks
    11759

    From
    Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Mr.Knot,

    While I appreciate your long winded diatribe, this issue is that the two major parties will always win the open primary. Ergo, the third party will not be represented or even have a chance to present their views during the general election.

    Actually, this was not so much a means of eliminating third parties, but rather, to ensure that the Democrat maintain a majority in the state legislature, and in the House, and especially the Senate. By eliminating all competition at the primary level, the Democrats in absolute power in Sacramento pretty much pick and choose who will be in office. Ironically, very similar to Venezuela.
    I have quite a few relatives and friends in California who would dispute your claims, but as you just confessed, it was NOT a means of eliminating third parties.



    Mission - Open Primaries



    California's modified "open primary" law does NOT apply to Presidential elections.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_p..._United_States

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonpar...lanket_primary

    Jill Stein and Gary Johnson were of what MAIN political party?

    https://ballotpedia.org/Jill_Stein_p...campaign,_2016

    https://ballotpedia.org/Gary_Johnson...campaign,_2016

    Neither Gary Johnson or Jill Stein won, why? Because they were Third Party candidates?

    https://ballotpedia.org/Ballot_acces...ial_candidates


    It's a bit more complex than some people (perhaps those that are too lazy to read very much?) like to portray it.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tial_elections

  10. #50
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    12,226
    Thanks
    3000

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotaFrayed View Post
    I have quite a few relatives and friends in California who would dispute your claims, but as you just confessed, it was NOT a means of eliminating third parties.



    Mission - Open Primaries



    California's modified "open primary" law does NOT apply to Presidential elections.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_p..._United_States

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonpar...lanket_primary

    Jill Stein and Gary Johnson were of what MAIN political party?

    https://ballotpedia.org/Jill_Stein_p...campaign,_2016

    https://ballotpedia.org/Gary_Johnson...campaign,_2016

    Neither Gary Johnson or Jill Stein won, why? Because they were Third Party candidates?

    https://ballotpedia.org/Ballot_acces...ial_candidates


    It's a bit more complex than some people (perhaps those that are too lazy to read very much?) like to portray it.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tial_elections
    Mr. Knot,

    Please, please, please, please, please take reading comprehension class before making such foolish posts.

    I never said the open primaries were a way of eliminating third parties. I said it was a way of ensuring that a third party would never reach the general election and as such, there was no reason for them to even place themselves on the primary ballot.

    As for your links, please, the reading comprehension thing. I clearly stated national elections are not subject to open primaries.

    hates it when my friends look foolish....
    Last edited by Kallie Knoetze; 11th August 2017 at 08:54 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15th July 2016, 07:42 PM
  2. Replies: 223
    Last Post: 2nd March 2015, 01:30 PM
  3. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 13th August 2014, 09:21 PM
  4. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 2nd November 2010, 01:03 AM
  5. Third Party Founding-National Use Your Fu__ing Head Party
    By Devil505 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 4th March 2009, 04:30 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed