Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 68 of 68
Thanks Tree49Thanks

Thread: Shirley Chisolm: The American Hero We Forgot

  1. #61
    Veteran Member Panzareta's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    33,216
    Thanks
    20181

    From
    On a happy trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    I'll look her up but I have to say the wild and liberated Ms Victoria Woodhull rocks my world. How did she get so liberated in the 1800's?
    Lotta Crabtree too. Plus she was the richest self made woman in the world besides being the most famous. She also smoked cigars, wore pants as her everyday attire and scoffed at critics.
    Thanks from Minotaur and Madeline

  2. #62
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,280
    Thanks
    32305

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Helen Keller, the blind deaf woman who fought for better working conditions for women.

  3. #63
    Chaos in fourteen lines Minotaur's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20,941
    Thanks
    17162

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Panzareta View Post
    Lotta Crabtree too. Plus she was the richest self made woman in the world besides being the most famous. She also smoked cigars, wore pants as her everyday attire and scoffed at critics.
    There are so many amazing women in history that it is uplifting. I was naming someone who ran for President but if we expand this I agree about Lotta Crabtree and now PACE's interesting female Gertrude Bell who I just looked up and now want to be. My inspiration was always Edna St. Vincent Millay. I left a hint of that under my Avatar "Chaos in fourteen lines". That is one of her writings. Other writings brought tears to my eyes knowing she could be speaking today as she was so far ahead of her time. Chaos only showed her wit while other poems show her liberated mindset.
    Thanks from Panzareta and Madeline

  4. #64
    Chaos in fourteen lines Minotaur's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20,941
    Thanks
    17162

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    There are others like her. Not sure how they found the wisdom, or the guts.

    Virginia Wolf, for one.
    Virginia Wolf was like her. Good call.
    Thanks from Madeline

  5. #65
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    28,667
    Thanks
    20565

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    The raw physical courage of this era feminist is just astonishing, not to mention, they risked personal and professional banishment.

    And usually for more than just women's rights. They all have said, correctly, that all struggles to end oppression are connected.

    I will assume this to be true. We have a regional 'white guy' county organizer for the D party. An ex-'Madmen' type, I'll guess he's in his mid-70s. He told this story a couple of times. His aunt (or great?) went out and voted in the first election after women got the vote and she came home and her HUSBAND BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF HER--for voting.
    Last edited by cpicturetaker12; 17th September 2017 at 07:58 AM.
    Thanks from Madeline

  6. #66
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    28,667
    Thanks
    20565

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    No, you weren't. Voting for her as a powerful act.

    You're a good egg, sir.
    At 20, ( the voting age changed that year), I was aready smart enough, sadly, to know that a middle aged 'ugly' black woman with a speech impediment had less than ZERO chance of winning. It didn't matter how brilliant or how qualified she was.

    I'm not sure I ever had the luxury of naivete of youth!

  7. #67
    Veteran Member Panzareta's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    33,216
    Thanks
    20181

    From
    On a happy trail
    Quote Originally Posted by cpicturetaker12 View Post
    At 20, ( the voting age changed that year), I was aready smart enough, sadly, to know that a middle aged 'ugly' black woman with a speech impediment had less than ZERO chance of winning. It didn't matter how brilliant or how qualified she was.

    I'm not sure I ever had the luxury of naivete of youth!
    Yeah and just eight years later you had to be a B actor in order to win.

  8. #68
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,280
    Thanks
    32305

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by cpicturetaker12 View Post
    I will assume this to be true. We have a regional 'white guy' county organizer for the D party. An ex-'Madmen' type, I'll guess he's in his mid-70s. He told this story a couple of times. His aunt (or great?) went out and voted in the first election after women got the vote and she came home and her HUSBAND BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF HER--for voting.
    UK women won the right to vote before American women did. I did not know they endured torture, etc. to accomplish this. The final blow was dealt by a suffragette who went to some fancy racing event and suicided by throwing herself under the Prince's horse at full gallop.

    Emily Wilding Davison.

    If you haven't seen it, "Suffragette" is an astonishing movie, and reasonably accurate.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Similar Threads

  1. RIP Delmer Berg An American Hero.
    By Dangermouse in forum Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2nd March 2016, 05:28 PM
  2. My idea of an American hero
    By heirtothewind in forum Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4th November 2014, 09:30 AM
  3. A real American hero dies
    By JackDallas in forum Warfare
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10th March 2014, 10:19 PM
  4. Hero of the American worker
    By John J in forum Current Events
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13th August 2010, 10:15 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed