Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 168
Thanks Tree66Thanks

Thread: Moderates and conservatives understand their opponents; liberals don't

  1. #51
    Penny for your thots Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    87,802
    Thanks
    24445

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA

  2. #52
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    50,702
    Thanks
    36252

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets View Post
    Careful, you may turn blue and get an urge for a Scooby snack!!

    I have been blue for a long time. You should know that! I prefer common sense.
    Thanks from Idiocracat and Jets

  3. #53
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    50,702
    Thanks
    36252

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    Come on Mcduff! One Speaker out of hundreds of Colleges?

  4. #54
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    53,910
    Thanks
    41624

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets View Post
    It's a perception issue and it's doesn't matter whether it's fact or fiction. If conservatives don't feel they are wanted by academic institutions because of how others view their politics, that tends to lessen their motivation for applying. Especially if they feel they have to keep their politics under wrap with their liberal staff members.

    Jmo
    It's not easy to get a Phd - it usually involves several years and a lot of hard work. So if conservatives do not choose to do that because of "perception", then I would say they were not serious contenders to teach at universities in the first place.

    When my dad got his PHd, he interviewed with several universities to see which one was the best "fit" for him. Nothing stopping more right leaning people from doing the same.

    And most majors at any given school aren't really geared towards political views to begin with.

  5. #55
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    53,910
    Thanks
    41624

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    Come on Mcduff! One Speaker out of hundreds of Colleges?
    Or a handful of students out of millions that go to college?

  6. #56
    Veteran Member Dr Sampson Simpson's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22,012
    Thanks
    12262

    Quote Originally Posted by Ęthelfrith View Post
    There's an amusement value that you whined about someone ignoring a study and you ignored one as soon as you realised it didn't fit your bias. God bless!
    Yup, we know he didn't read it, he doesn't read anything, that's obvious.

    And the OP was not just a study (actually, if he actually read people's posts, this was already addressed) but an article of someone putting their spin on the results. which is largely what my posts were addressing. Also the fact that your argument was made in response to the flow of the thread and directly related to what other people have been posting.


    One of the articles was titled "Want to End Rabid Partisanship? Reform American Academia"
    Thanks from Ęthelfrith

  7. #57
    DEEP STATE CEO Blues63's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    9,693
    Thanks
    7128

    From
    SPECTRE HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    It's not easy to get a Phd - it usually involves several years and a lot of hard work. So if conservatives do not choose to do that because of "perception", then I would say they were not serious contenders to teach at universities in the first place.
    The workload is incredible and one needs to fund it.

    When my dad got his PHd, he interviewed with several universities to see which one was the best "fit" for him. Nothing stopping more right leaning people from doing the same.
    And most majors at any given school aren't really geared towards political views to begin with.
    Non academics have this suspicious belief that the sciences are infused with left wing politics, and the humanities focus upon identity politics. Both are incorrect perceptions.

  8. #58
    Veteran Member Dr Sampson Simpson's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22,012
    Thanks
    12262

    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    Come on Mcduff! One Speaker out of hundreds of Colleges?
    What do you expect? Dishonesty is all he has. Copy and paste articles with no argument is all he has. He can't argue the merits of his position. THis is the typical deflection of "liberals are meanies." God it is so pathetic, how do people think copy and pasting stuff is all you need to do to argue your point?

  9. #59
    Penny for your thots Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    87,802
    Thanks
    24445

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sampson Simpson View Post
    Yup, we know he didn't read it, he doesn't read anything, that's obvious.

    And the OP was not just a study (actually, if he actually read people's posts, this was already addressed) but an article of someone putting their spin on the results. which is largely what my posts were addressing. Also the fact that your argument was made in response to the flow of the thread and directly related to what other people have been posting.


    One of the articles was titled "Want to End Rabid Partisanship? Reform American Academia"
    How is it that you constantly whine about deflections except the one time someone actually tries to do it?
    There is nothing to read in your posts. It's all factless bloviating. If you want to be treated like a grown up with a serious argument, then present a serious argument.

  10. #60
    Penny for your thots Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    87,802
    Thanks
    24445

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sampson Simpson View Post
    What do you expect? Dishonesty is all he has. Copy and paste articles with no argument is all he has. He can't argue the merits of his position. THis is the typical deflection of "liberals are meanies." God it is so pathetic, how do people think copy and pasting stuff is all you need to do to argue your point?
    How the fuck do you complain that other people don't have factual arguments and then whine about them providing links to support facts?
    You are terrible at this.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Liberals opponents celebrate Margaret Thatchers death.
    By meridian5455 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 11th April 2013, 11:26 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 9th November 2012, 07:14 AM
  3. Very important for liberals & moderates to get out & vote on 11/6
    By Devil505 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20th September 2012, 09:25 AM
  4. Conservatives Still Outnumber Moderates, Liberals
    By meridian5455 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26th March 2012, 01:16 PM
  5. Dream Election for moderates and liberals
    By liberalman in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16th February 2008, 07:29 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed