Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 359
Thanks Tree273Thanks

Thread: What Is It That Makes You Conservative?

  1. #1
    Flibbertigibbet Wonderer's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2014
    Posts
    26,350
    Thanks
    17569

    From
    Missouri

    What Is It That Makes You Conservative?

    My apologies if this is duplicative of other discussions, but I was recently asked what it is that makes me a conservative and thought it might be an interesting discussion to have here. So, for those PH'ers who right-identify ( ) - why?
    Thanks from Jets and pragmatic

  2. #2
    We choose both. Amelia's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    45,963
    Thanks
    27979

    From
    Wisconsin
    I _used_ to be conservative in the sense of preferring that changes take place slowly. Wary of unintended consequences. Wary of people taking a mile when I give them an inch.

    I _used_ to be an active member of a socially conservative, paternalistic religion, and honored those traditions even though my inclinations were more liberal. I even, sad to say, let them lead me into making offensive, condescending statements about such things as gay marriage -- I don't think I was ever actively unkind about it, but I still cringe at some of the condescending, non-inclusive things I said.


    Hmmmm ....

    And I used to have neo-con leanings militarily/internationally.


    So, if I ever had to explain what made me "conservative" at the most conservative times in my life -- that would have been it.
    Last edited by Amelia; 19th October 2017 at 09:36 AM.

  3. #3
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    42,077
    Thanks
    44304

    From
    Nashville, TN
    I was an Eisenhower/Goldwater/Nixon/Ford conservative, then along came Jerry Falwell and Trickle Down and the Southern Strategy and the GOP went flying away from me. The current rendition of the GOP incorporates the worst of the Dixiecrats and the old GOP and none of the good...they only care about deficits when a Democrat is President and have sold their souls to the oligarchs.
    Thanks from Eve1, Wonderer, Babba and 7 others

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    18,897
    Thanks
    12958

    From
    My own world
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    I was an Eisenhower/Goldwater/Nixon/Ford conservative, then along came Jerry Falwell and Trickle Down and the Southern Strategy and the GOP went flying away from me. The current rendition of the GOP incorporates the worst of the Dixiecrats and the old GOP and none of the good...they only care about deficits when a Democrat is President and have sold their souls to the oligarchs.
    Right on!!
    Thanks from DemoWhip

  5. #5
    Flibbertigibbet Wonderer's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2014
    Posts
    26,350
    Thanks
    17569

    From
    Missouri
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    I was an Eisenhower/Goldwater/Nixon/Ford conservative, then along came Jerry Falwell and Trickle Down and the Southern Strategy and the GOP went flying away from me. The current rendition of the GOP incorporates the worst of the Dixiecrats and the old GOP and none of the good...they only care about deficits when a Democrat is President and have sold their souls to the oligarchs.
    While I appreciate the response, I'm asking specifically about ideology, not party.

    What was it that made you "conservative" previously?
    Thanks from pragmatic

  6. #6
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    42,077
    Thanks
    44304

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderer View Post
    While I appreciate the response, I'm asking specifically about ideology, not party.

    What was it that made you "conservative" previously?
    The definition of conservative has changed in the last 50 years...check this 1968 Republican Party Platform and compare it to todays GOP, the GOP in 1968 would be at most, moderate today. Trump's version is more like the George Wallace Party than the Nixon Party. I have never been a conservative by todays metric.

    Republican Party Platforms: Republican Party Platform of 1968
    Thanks from labrea, Panzareta and MaryAnne

  7. #7
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    30,691
    Thanks
    3910

    The desire to run the country in the black.

    An intentional decision to limit social spending and connect it structurally to running the country in the black.

    An intentional decision to leverage what is of value to increase the country's net worth so we can spend money on social and defense priorities without straining to do so.

    In other words, a functional approach to governance.

  8. #8
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    42,077
    Thanks
    44304

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    The desire to run the country in the black.

    An intentional decision to limit social spending and connect it structurally to running the country in the black.

    An intentional decision to leverage what is of value to increase the country's net worth so we can spend money on social and defense priorities without straining to do so.

    In other words, a functional approach to governance.
    Good luck with that, that metric left the Republican Party in 1980. Your GOP is setting up a massive increase in the deficit with this new so called tax reform bill that will gut revenues and increase spending hugely. Trickle down Redux.
    Thanks from Davocrat

  9. #9
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    61,666
    Thanks
    11226

    From
    By the wall
    Intelligence.

    Basically there are two philosophies at work here.

    Liberals want everyone to be equal,

    Conservatives want everyone to have an equal chance.

    Liberals believe everyone should end up in the same place and if it takes the government to ensure that than so be it.

    Conservatives believe it should be up to the individual to either fail or succeed based on their motivation.

    That is essentially the difference.
    Thanks from Pureinheart, Bronwyn and Enigma32

  10. #10
    Flibbertigibbet Wonderer's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2014
    Posts
    26,350
    Thanks
    17569

    From
    Missouri
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    The definition of conservative has changed in the last 50 years...check this 1968 Republican Party Platform and compare it to todays GOP, the GOP in 1968 would be at most, moderate today. Trump's version is more like the George Wallace Party than the Nixon Party. I have never been a conservative by todays metric.

    Republican Party Platforms: Republican Party Platform of 1968
    Again, you're conflating party and ideology.

    And while definitions due tend to morph over time (particularly in the political arena) I'm not talking about Trump or today's Republican party.

    What was it that made you "conservative" back in the day? What principles did you embrace?
    Thanks from kmiller1610

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Conservative group pulls 'conservative' award from HANNITY
    By cpicturetaker12 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21st July 2017, 02:30 PM
  2. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 9th November 2016, 03:55 AM
  3. Makes my Conservative heart beat louder
    By kmiller1610 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 209
    Last Post: 9th August 2015, 02:23 PM
  4. What makes a Conservative ?
    By Loki in forum Political Ideologies
    Replies: 158
    Last Post: 14th June 2014, 05:08 PM
  5. This Makes Me Sad
    By Alias in forum Current Events
    Replies: 276
    Last Post: 9th September 2011, 06:55 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed