Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
Thanks Tree44Thanks

Thread: Inside a Private Prison: Blood, Suicide and Poorly Paid Guards

  1. #1
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    35,280
    Thanks
    28005

    From
    On a hill

    Inside a Private Prison: Blood, Suicide and Poorly Paid Guards

    By TIMOTHY WILLIAMSAPRIL 3, 2018

    JACKSON, Miss. — On the witness stand and under pressure, Frank Shaw, the warden of the East Mississippi Correctional Facility, could not guarantee that the prison was capable of performing its most basic function.

    Asked if the guards were supposed to keep inmates in their cells, he said, wearily, “They do their best.”

    According to evidence and testimony at a federal civil rights trial, far worse things were happening at the prison than inmates strolling around during a lockdown: A mentally ill man on suicide watch hanged himself, gang members were allowed to beat other prisoners, and those whose cries for medical attention were ignored resorted to setting fires in their cells.

    So many shackled men have recounted instances of extraordinary violence and neglect in the prison that the judge has complained of exhaustion.

    The case, which has received little attention beyond the local news media, provides a rare glimpse into the cloistered world of privately operated prisons, at a time when the number of state inmates in private facilities is increasing and the Trump administration has indicated that it will expand their use.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/03/u...son-abuse.html

  2. #2
    res
    res is offline
    Member
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,569
    Thanks
    1102

    But greed is good...
    Thanks from BigBob

  3. #3
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    35,280
    Thanks
    28005

    From
    On a hill


    The state’s contract with Management & Training Corporation is particularly economical. Mississippi pays the company just $26 a day — or about $9,500 a year — for each minimum-security inmate. That is far less than the $15,000 a year neighboring Alabama spends per inmate, and only 13 percent of what New York, which spends more than any other state, pays per inmate.
    Thats what its all about, economy and profit.
    Thanks from Friday13, Babba, Madeline and 1 others

  4. #4
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    35,280
    Thanks
    28005

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    But greed is good...
    Doesnt seem to be working well for the average guy, and thats what most of us are, average.
    Thanks from BigBob and Friday13

  5. #5
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,815
    Thanks
    32870

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    Thats what its all about, economy and profit.
    Not even economy; just profit. Prisons involve a public custodial responsibility, and are not a proper function for privatization.

  6. #6
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    61,666
    Thanks
    11226

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    By TIMOTHY WILLIAMSAPRIL 3, 2018

    JACKSON, Miss. — On the witness stand and under pressure, Frank Shaw, the warden of the East Mississippi Correctional Facility, could not guarantee that the prison was capable of performing its most basic function.

    Asked if the guards were supposed to keep inmates in their cells, he said, wearily, “They do their best.”

    According to evidence and testimony at a federal civil rights trial, far worse things were happening at the prison than inmates strolling around during a lockdown: A mentally ill man on suicide watch hanged himself, gang members were allowed to beat other prisoners, and those whose cries for medical attention were ignored resorted to setting fires in their cells.

    So many shackled men have recounted instances of extraordinary violence and neglect in the prison that the judge has complained of exhaustion.

    The case, which has received little attention beyond the local news media, provides a rare glimpse into the cloistered world of privately operated prisons, at a time when the number of state inmates in private facilities is increasing and the Trump administration has indicated that it will expand their use.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/03/u...son-abuse.html
    More liberal love for criminals.

    This is what creates the problems.

    Sorry they don't get a comfy couch and cable.

    Don't want to risk this then don't commit crimes.

    Not rocket science.

  7. #7
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    61,666
    Thanks
    11226

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Not even economy; just profit. Prisons involve a public custodial responsibility, and are not a proper function for privatization.
    Prisons should be a place of survival.

    The only function of guards is to make sure they don't get past the fence.

  8. #8
    New Member BigBob's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    430
    Thanks
    399

    From
    My house
    That spookycolt has a problem understanding what prison is for and has no compassion for those who have been sentenced there and has no clue what guards are supposed to do it would be my thought he should go for a day and see just what it is like.
    Thanks from Dragonfly5 and Friday13

  9. #9
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,815
    Thanks
    32870

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    More liberal love for criminals.

    This is what creates the problems.
    More conservative love for evil. That is what creates the problems.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Sorry they don't get a comfy couch and cable.
    No one talks about those except people like

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Don't want to risk this then don't commit crimes.
    Please point out the statute that prescribes as a sentence for any crime any of the things complained of. The guards "do their best" to keep the folks in their cells? Really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Not rocket science.
    No, not rocket science. Unlike rocket science, the concept of prison actually has a moral dimension to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Prisons should be a place of survival.
    And rehabilitation. Otherwise you get back someone worse than when you put him in, because he won't have had any choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    The only function of guards is to make sure they don't get past the fence.
    Wrong. Prison is not supposed to be an amoral Escape from New York scenario.
    Thanks from Leo2, OldGaffer, Friday13 and 1 others

  10. #10
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    61,666
    Thanks
    11226

    From
    By the wall
    And rehabilitation. Otherwise you get back someone worse than when you put him in, because he won't have had any choice.
    Nope, nope, nope...prison is a place of punishment, not rehabilitation.

    Period.

    You want to get better go find God and do it.....don't ask the state to make you better, we are there to punish you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 46 Georgia prison guards sentenced for transporting drugs
    By Southern Dad in forum Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19th August 2017, 06:56 PM
  2. South Korean robot prison guards
    By meridian5455 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th May 2012, 07:11 AM
  3. Can Private Security Guards Act As Cops?
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24th March 2009, 01:56 PM
  4. Arnold and the prison guards
    By Blueneck in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 8th September 2008, 04:05 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed