Members banned from this thread: Pragmatist


Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 160
Thanks Tree132Thanks

Thread: The one-sided code of conduct

  1. #41
    #walkaway orangecat's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,048
    Thanks
    611

    From
    oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    I see people in the old thread claiming it goes both ways.

    It doesn't.
    I disagree.

  2. #42
    #walkaway orangecat's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,048
    Thanks
    611

    From
    oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    The issue is currently the anti-trump crowd is looking at people who are not mouth foaming over every stupid thing trump does as a rabid trump supporter. this thread is so hypocritical by the op it's not even funny.
    This^^^

    I've been accused of fauning over and apologizing for trump multiple times just because I'm not expressing the outrage-du-jour.

  3. #43
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,356
    Thanks
    34030

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    But the danger then becomes can anyone with a D after their name win? Will voters be so eager to rid themselves from Trump that an equally bad celebrity could win a dem primary? I dont know the answer.
    Potentially, sure. These days, that danger always exists. I do find it unlikely we find someone as bad as him again in either party. But you never know ... people do all kinds of stupid things based on raw, unfiltered emotion, including voting.
    Thanks from bajisima, MaryAnne and labrea

  4. #44
    Wawa Skittletits BDBoop's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    44,168
    Thanks
    39839

    From
    Tweet Tweet
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Interesting article.

    Certainly red meat for the Left.
    No. Itís a canyon-sized fault of the left, which the left has yet to deal with.

  5. #45
    Wawa Skittletits BDBoop's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    44,168
    Thanks
    39839

    From
    Tweet Tweet
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkady View Post
    What happened to Franken was absurd. It really was just an attempt to shame the conservatives into applying some standards, no matter how low, by way of the left enforcing high standards, in a draconian way, on their own. That was a strategic blunder. You can't shame the right into doing anything, because they have no sense of shame.

    I'm particularly disgusted by the "last straw" in the Franken case. Basically, he was accused of trying to hug and kiss someone after a TV appearance. People hug and kiss casual acquaintances all the time in show biz, it's customary behavior, and there was no sign Franken forced himself on anyone, but in the context of the left looking for one of its own to sacrifice to show its purity, that was enough to end his Senate career.

    Anyway, the one thing we can thank Trump for is the fact that he made conservative hypocrisy --long obvious to anyone who looked at it honestly-- so comically obvious that even right-wingers can't miss it. To see Evangelical conservatives lining up behind Trump, the very avatar of the seven deadly sins, after they spent years pretending to be scandalized by minor vulgarity or a little marital infidelity by Democrats, just shows how soulless such people really are.
    Freakin Amen. There are false equivalencies all over the damn map, and we — we don’t even wait to hear from the right. We just pull the trigger, and end careers.

    The only way I’m going to stop being angry at Kristin whoever is if she sincerely apologizes. I’m not even sure I will then.
    Thanks from Arkady

  6. #46
    Wawa Skittletits BDBoop's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    44,168
    Thanks
    39839

    From
    Tweet Tweet
    Quote Originally Posted by orangecat View Post
    I disagree.
    On what basis? We’ve spent the last 16 months watching Trump break every government ethic known to man. Go ahead and convince me that Obama could have done the same without an impeachment panel being formed immediately.

  7. #47
    Member Arkady's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,334
    Thanks
    3279

    From
    Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Freakin Amen. There are false equivalencies all over the damn map, and we ó we donít even wait to hear from the right. We just pull the trigger, and end careers.

    The only way Iím going to stop being angry at Kristin whoever is if she sincerely apologizes. Iím not even sure I will then.
    This, I think, is part of a broader strategic error the left makes. Basically, the left is so introspective that they're ready to form a circular firing squad at the drop of a hat, while the right's instinct is to form up ranks and defend each other. Any wonder why the right wins disproportionately?

    For example, consider Bill and Hillary Clinton. As much as they're attacked from the right, they're attacked very nearly as much from the left. Lefty columnists are still thrashing Bill Clinton, 20 years later, about a consensual sexual affair. If Bill Clinton were a Republican, the GOP would have practically deified him, by this point. The nation did much better on his watch than on Reagan's in pretty much every measurable way. The economy grew faster, incomes grew faster, poverty actually declined, as did crime rates and deficit, the stock market did better, inflation was lower, and so on. Reagan's middling performance is enough for Republicans to treat him as almost beyond question. They've literally tried to put his face on money and on Mt. Rushmore. And they happily ignore the long list of very serious scandals that plagued his crooked administration. By comparison, Democrats treat Clinton as a bit of an embarrassment. The result is that marginally politically involved people look at the parties and see the Republicans acting proud of their past, while even Democrats seem to think Democrats suck. So of course it's hard to convince people to vote Democrat.
    Thanks from BDBoop and labrea

  8. #48
    Wawa Skittletits BDBoop's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    44,168
    Thanks
    39839

    From
    Tweet Tweet
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkady View Post
    This, I think, is part of a broader strategic error the left makes. Basically, the left is so introspective that they're ready to form a circular firing squad at the drop of a hat, while the right's instinct is to form up ranks and defend each other. Any wonder why the right wins disproportionately?

    For example, consider Bill and Hillary Clinton. As much as they're attacked from the right, they're attacked very nearly as much from the left. Lefty columnists are still thrashing Bill Clinton, 20 years later, about a consensual sexual affair. If Bill Clinton were a Republican, the GOP would have practically deified him, by this point. The nation did much better on his watch than on Reagan's in pretty much every measurable way. The economy grew faster, incomes grew faster, poverty actually declined, as did crime rates and deficit, the stock market did better, inflation was lower, and so on. Reagan's middling performance is enough for Republicans to treat him as almost beyond question. They've literally tried to put his face on money and on Mt. Rushmore. And they happily ignore the long list of very serious scandals that plagued his crooked administration. By comparison, Democrats treat Clinton as a bit of an embarrassment. The result is that marginally politically involved people look at the parties and see the Republicans acting proud of their past, while even Democrats seem to think Democrats suck. So of course it's hard to convince people to vote Democrat.
    I know they're just kids. But they're not stupid, and god willing, they will age. Hopefully the upcoming generations will aim us in a new direction.

  9. #49
    Shiny Purple Member namvet69's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,973
    Thanks
    5223

    From
    Englewood, Fl
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    Another mindless partisan dependent class tyope posting foolish stuff. Are you too delusional like namvet to think your ilk has the high road? that would be in contradiction to past conversations we had.
    For anyone to defend what's going on in America under Trump is treasonous. Take the Dreamers and the yes I will, No I won't back and forth by Trump to cause great pain for them. And then we have the separation of kids from their parents.

    They are held in cold buildings and there have been reports of kids kept in cells like cages. Some sleep on the floor and with adults they don't even know. This separation will haunt these kids for their lifetime. These are formative years and they will be emotionally scarred by this experience.

    This is unAmerican. And the response by trump is to blame Democrats for this cruelty. I'm outraged and any decent human being should be too. I'm very proud of my "Ilk" and i see caring for our fellow human beings going the way of yesterday's news. Hellhound, Oh, sorry, Reverend Hellhound LOL If you have something to say to me, have balls enough to address it to me directly.
    Thanks from BDBoop and labrea

  10. #50
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47,102
    Thanks
    29098

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Potentially, sure. These days, that danger always exists. I do find it unlikely we find someone as bad as him again in either party. But you never know ... people do all kinds of stupid things based on raw, unfiltered emotion, including voting.
    I have a friend who to this day is peeved with me because she declared "that GW was and would go down in history as the worst president ever in the US." I tried to tell her you never know, voters are weird and I think with social media we tend to focus less and less on issues and more on crap.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. China Seeks "Code of Conduct" on The Internet
    By excalibur in forum Current Events
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11th October 2015, 03:23 PM
  2. Two-sided brutality
    By The Man in forum Europe & Russia
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 6th February 2012, 05:45 PM
  3. maritime security code of conduct
    By tomkent45 in forum World Politics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15th July 2011, 07:54 AM
  4. Intelligence, A 3 Sided Sword
    By prodigy4u in forum Education
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29th September 2006, 05:53 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed