Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54
Thanks Tree44Thanks

Thread: what do the citizens want?

  1. #31
    Veteran Member bonehead's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    15,310
    Thanks
    5688

    From
    south
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    Does that logic apply to elementary education too? Is it worthless to educate people if we allow everyone to get an education?

    I realize some people are really worried that their degree won't be as special, but I think you are overlooking the up side to having a more highly educated population.
    I find that idea very good. if you want a college education from a prestigious university - it's on your nickel. if you want an education from a public university, help will be provided as long as you have the qualifications. I would also apply that to technical and trade schools. no citizens in America should be barred from an education based solely on ability to pay. it's an investment in our future, not an expense.
    Thanks from Madeline and Blueneck

  2. #32
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    53,994
    Thanks
    41707

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    Does that logic apply to elementary education too? Is it worthless to educate people if we allow everyone to get an education?

    I realize some people are really worried that their degree won't be as special, but I think you are overlooking the up side to having a more highly educated population.
    The problem I have with "free" college education is that a lot of kids drop out of college before their 4 years is up. I would much prefer that we address the huge student debt problem.

  3. #33
    Veteran Member bonehead's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    15,310
    Thanks
    5688

    From
    south
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    The problem I have with "free" college education is that a lot of kids drop out of college before their 4 years is up. I would much prefer that we address the huge student debt problem.
    I see no reason that that cannot be addressed in the same bill as the afore mentioned education bill - for public colleges and universities, tech schools and trade schools.

  4. #34
    Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,171
    Thanks
    701

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    Does that logic apply to elementary education too? Is it worthless to educate people if we allow everyone to get an education?

    I realize some people are really worried that their degree won't be as special, but I think you are overlooking the up side to having a more highly educated population.
    Elementary education is a foundation, but college is the end game, so there's a difference.
    If college degrees were as ubiquitous as high school diplomas they'd be worth as little to employers who would then discriminate between candidates by demanding advanced degrees. Furthermore, if government makes plenty of money available for tuition guess what happens to the cost of higher education? Well it's already happening, and now we've got short sighted people who want to make college even more expensive?

  5. #35
    One
    One is offline
    10 Year Survivor One's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10,150
    Thanks
    7769

    From
    ----> X <----
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto Throttle View Post
    What "liberal" citizens (and wannabe citizens) want is free stuff, they want others to pay for it, and they want to be free from the consequences of their bad choices.
    But the real purpose of government is to make laws, enforce laws, and resolve disputes regarding laws.
    When it comes to making laws, our legislators have apparently gotten the notion that the purpose of making law is to ensure the indispensability of government. It would be nice if our legislators would try rescinding unnecessary laws and revising bad or ineffective laws. And could they possibly simplify the law? That would be OK. And unfortunately the other two branches of government have tried to get in on the fun of making laws when that's entirely outside their proper function.
    I think I'm a Constitutional originalist, but I'm sure someone will claim otherwise.
    You've been fed too much propaganda. We all, through taxes, pay for government sponsored programs. So it's just as much my taxes paying for those programs, as it is 'other peoples' money.
    Thanks from Madeline

  6. #36
    Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,171
    Thanks
    701

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    You've been fed too much propaganda. We all, through taxes, pay for government sponsored programs. So it's just as much my taxes paying for those programs, as it is 'other peoples' money.
    To the beneficiaries of those programs it's "other people's money". The democrat play is to buy votes by offering generous programs, the bulk paid for by a small minority.

  7. #37
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    38,985
    Thanks
    37193

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto Throttle View Post
    To the beneficiaries of those programs it's "other people's money". The democrat play is to buy votes by offering generous programs, the bulk paid for by a small minority.

    The Republican play, meanwhile, is to allow the small minority that owns 99% of the wealth to pay less in taxes, and shift those taxes to the majority.
    Thanks from Blueneck

  8. #38
    One
    One is offline
    10 Year Survivor One's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10,150
    Thanks
    7769

    From
    ----> X <----
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto Throttle View Post
    To the beneficiaries of those programs it's "other people's money". The democrat play is to buy votes by offering generous programs, the bulk paid for by a small minority.
    See, that's what I'm talking about..too much propaganda. Those benefits are there for us all. So, yes, it's just as much my money as anyone elses. Why do you feel it's ok to determine how MY money is spent?
    Thanks from Madeline

  9. #39
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,814
    Thanks
    32690

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    can you narrow that down to three? the top three in your opinion.
    For 330 million people?

    Arrrgh!

    Lol.

    Law and order, infrastructure, health care.

    Can't do much for citizens unless they are living.

  10. #40
    Shut up and vote Addiction Solitaire Champion, Double Deuce Champion, Queen Jewels Champion, Ray Ray Shuffle Champion, Twins Champion, Blow Up: Arcade Champion, Bunch - Time Trial Champion, Znax Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Sobics School Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Makos Champion, Dino Drop Champion, Flower Frenzy Champion, Some Puzzle Champion, Funny Bubbles Champion, CubeZ Champion, Dinky Smash Champion, Fun Fun Animals Champion, Fruit Fabriek Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Rainbow Monkey RunDown Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Crime Puzzle Champion Blueneck's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    49,705
    Thanks
    27814

    From
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto Throttle View Post
    What "liberal" citizens (and wannabe citizens) want is free stuff, they want others to pay for it, and they want to be free from the consequences of their bad choices.
    But the real purpose of government is to make laws, enforce laws, and resolve disputes regarding laws.
    When it comes to making laws, our legislators have apparently gotten the notion that the purpose of making law is to ensure the indispensability of government. It would be nice if our legislators would try rescinding unnecessary laws and revising bad or ineffective laws. And could they possibly simplify the law? That would be OK. And unfortunately the other two branches of government have tried to get in on the fun of making laws when that's entirely outside their proper function.
    I think I'm a Constitutional originalist, but I'm sure someone will claim otherwise.
    Wisconsites just gave 2 billion in tax dollars to a Chinese company to build a factory there and Trump was there bragging about it. He's going to create a whole new dept. of the military, the "Space Force".

    Smaller government my ass. Bush created a whole new dept. (DHS) and whole new Medicare benefit to supply prescription drugs to the elderly.

    Republicans grow the government more than Democrats do, it's a fact. You're rooting for the wrong team.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20th October 2013, 10:01 PM
  2. Men -- the new second class citizens
    By meridian5455 in forum Civil Rights
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 28th July 2013, 04:24 AM
  3. The US should not assasinate it's own citizens
    By Muninn in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 276
    Last Post: 12th August 2012, 09:15 AM
  4. Citizens or everyone?
    By Conservative15 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 5th June 2009, 11:16 AM
  5. we're all global citizens now!
    By nonsqtr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13th February 2009, 06:26 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed