Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 72
Thanks Tree22Thanks

Thread: why black kids just can't "get over" being exposed to racial slurs.

  1. #31
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,417
    Thanks
    32653

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    not if it's true.
    That is exactly the same assertion actual white racists used to justify the claim that blacks were inherently inferior. You are using racist language right there.

    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    There can be an argument made that the majority of whites fall into the category of the "closet racist". Hell, I'd venture to say that the majority of American's could fall into that category.
    And how, exactly, do you make those arguments? And how in the world can you claim they are not themselves racist?

  2. #32
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,417
    Thanks
    32653

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    so the true victims of racism are whites? Is that what you're saying.
    I said nothing of the kind, nor did I imply. There is no way to get that from what I wrote.

  3. #33
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,827
    Thanks
    44417

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    That is exactly the same assertion actual white racists used to justify the claim that blacks were inherently inferior. You are using racist language right there.


    And how, exactly, do you make those arguments? And how in the world can you claim they are not themselves racist?
    you don't know what you're talking about.

  4. #34
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,827
    Thanks
    44417

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    I said nothing of the kind, nor did I imply. There is no way to get that from what I wrote.
    yeah, actually you did. You're making up some bs argument in order to make whites the victims - aren't you?

  5. #35
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,417
    Thanks
    32653

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    yeah, actually you did. You're making up some bs argument in order to make whites the victims - aren't you?
    No. You may be reading that, but that is not what I wrote.

  6. #36
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,417
    Thanks
    32653

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    you don't know what you're talking about.
    Yes, I do. I read the words you write, and you are demonstrating the same attitude that you excoriate.

  7. #37
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,827
    Thanks
    44417

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    No. You may be reading that, but that is not what I wrote.
    ok, if you say so.

  8. #38
    The Un-Holy One The Man's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    38,517
    Thanks
    23487

    From
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    That is exactly the same assertion actual white racists used to justify the claim that blacks were inherently inferior. You are using racist language right there.


    And how, exactly, do you make those arguments? And how in the world can you claim they are not themselves racist?
    I believe most people are inherently bigoted.

    After all, it did not take Hitler very long, to convince most of the German public to jump on board with his hatred of Jews, did it?

    With skilled propaganda, probably any nation can be driven to that point...

  9. #39
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,827
    Thanks
    44417

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Yes, I do. I read the words you write, and you are demonstrating the same attitude that you excoriate.
    actually, what said is that there can be an argument made that the majority of American's can fall into the category of "closet racist". I didn't single out whites. The only reason why I even mentioned them was to respond to your argument about some vague narrative you claim to be out there that claims whites are all racist. Again, you don't appear to have the first clue what you're talking about.

  10. #40
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    13,243
    Thanks
    3255

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    so, first things first. Being subjected to racism is a traumatic event for kids growing up black in America. It doesn't matter if they grew up in a time after Jim Crow, or when whites could rape, murder, or demoralize them with impunity. The life, in of itself, is a traumatic event. And like any other traumatic event it leaves them with a form of PTSD. That said. It can also be a traumatic event for anyone witnessing it who doesn't happen to be black. We hear stories all the time of friends who went shopping with their African American friends and were shocked to see how they were treated. Or stories about being in a car when their African American friends were stopped by the police. Or see videos of cops shooting an African American unarmed youth. These events are traumatic to behold regardless of what race you happen to be. Even, believe or not, for the perpetrators of racism and/or bigotry.

    That's right.

    Bet, you weren't expecting that angle were you? But, think about it. What sort of person does it take to treat another human being in a demoralizing manner simply because of their race? That sort of person has to have suffered some sort of trauma in the past. Deep inside, they must know that the person they're dehumanizing is a fellow human being. Just like them. It's not officially recognized as a mental illness. But, it sure as hell has all the markers of one. Anyone that would treat a another human being with that kind of cruelty has to be suffering from a severe lack of respect for themselves.

    Among the wors of these is the so-called "closet racist". This is a person who , by all outward appearances, doesn't appear to be racist. But, deep inside, they nonetheless secretly identify with the hardcore racist. Deep inside they hear the call of racism lurking somewhere deep beneath the surface. Just waiting for the right movement to reveal itself (typically, with plausible deniability). Or they might even let it all out in privacy. Or among those who think the way they do. Who can assure them that they really aren't racist. It's an inner racial turmoil eating away at them....

    To be continued. Cuz, we have to get back to the topic at hand.

    So many of these things are the obstacles that black kids in American have to navigate in their quest to be treated as equals; in their quest to become "whole". More often than not they are vulnerable to the majority population. Who, although mostly sympathetic, lacks a true understanding of their plight. Even among those who think they do.

    Black parents invariably have to have that "talk" with their kids. Usually, at an early age, because kids see and hear things that they need a guiding hand to explain, at a very early age. Because, except only in very rare cases , sooner or later, their kids are going to encounter racial slurs, racial resentments, racial animus, or just plain straight up racial hatred. All parents do their best to prepare their kids for this real world. Sure enough. And each child is unique in their own right.

    But, no matter how much parents try to prepare their kids, no one can really be prepared for when it's first happens. Nor, can anyone explain what it feels like to anyone that hasn't experienced it. You think you might know. But , you don't. You have no Earthly fucking clue. Nor can you know what it's like to have to be aware each and every moment that it might happen, if only in the corner of your mind. Or how it feels to have let your guard down and to be hit with racism, a racial slur, racial animus , resentment, or hate, unexpectedly. Especially, when it is coming from that so-called "close racist". Who has succeeded in convincing you they understand. Because, like vicious, vindictive snakes in the grass, they've waited for the right time , and the right circumstances, to strike.
    The Watchman,

    You make some interesting points. While I agree there is still racism out there, to a minor degree, I do agree that black youth do grow up with a sense that they are not trusted.

    But could it be the public persona of the black youth is contributing to that? I mean, consider, the music they listen to is generally nothing but misogynistic and violent, and glorifies criminals and criminal activities. A rap star beats someone up and goes to jail, his sales increase. You see scene after scene from the news of groups of black youth rioting and looting in malls, following rap concerts, in the stands after sporting events, in the hallways of schools, etc. You see utube videos of groups of black youths participating in the "knockout" game where they think it's funny to sucker punch an old lady to see if they can knock them out. In fact, go on Utube and you will find hundreds of videos of black kids violently fight, very few of other race kids fighting.

    The thing is, until black parents and society starts teaching it is not o.k. to resolve differences with violence, society will continue to look at black youth as something that should be held in suspicion.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 14th November 2017, 04:37 PM
  2. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 1st March 2017, 12:59 AM
  3. Replies: 281
    Last Post: 13th November 2016, 12:34 AM
  4. Replies: 57
    Last Post: 14th July 2015, 02:01 PM
  5. Black Chamber of Commerce President blasts "marxist," "brownshirt" Obama
    By (R)IGHTeous 1 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 1st May 2011, 10:31 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed