Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 72
Thanks Tree22Thanks

Thread: why black kids just can't "get over" being exposed to racial slurs.

  1. #41
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,900
    Thanks
    44536

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I believe most people are inherently bigoted.

    After all, it did not take Hitler very long, to convince most of the German public to jump on board with his hatred of Jews, did it?

    With skilled propaganda, probably any nation can be driven to that point...
    and look who we have as president. A stone cold racist.
    Thanks from The Man

  2. #42
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    13,257
    Thanks
    3260

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I believe most people are inherently bigoted.

    After all, it did not take Hitler very long, to convince most of the German public to jump on board with his hatred of Jews, did it?

    With skilled propaganda, probably any nation can be driven to that point...
    Mr. Man,

    Correction, all people are inherently bigoted.

  3. #43
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,598
    Thanks
    32734

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    After all, it did not take Hitler very long, to convince most of the German public to jump on board with his hatred of Jews, did it?
    True, but there was a long history of European antisemitism, so he was activating a specific, latent hatred that was already there.
    Thanks from The Man

  4. #44
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,598
    Thanks
    32734

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    actually, what said is that there can be an argument made that the majority of American's can fall into the category of "closet racist". I didn't single out whites.
    Actually, you did. Among other things, you wrote:

    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    There can be an argument made that the majority of whites fall into the category of the "closet racist".
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    The only reason why I even mentioned them was to respond to your argument about some vague narrative you claim to be out there that claims whites are all racist. Again, you don't appear to have the first clue what you're talking about.
    Apparent, I do, since I was not making a vague narrative at all, but responding to an exact quote you made.

  5. #45
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,900
    Thanks
    44536

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Actually, you did. Among other things, you wrote:



    Apparent, I do, since I was not making a vague narrative at all, but responding to an exact quote you made.
    uh, you're a lawyer - right? So, you'd know the difference between saying that an argument can be made and embracing that argument as true.

    Right?

    You'd know that as a lawyer.

    Am I right?

  6. #46
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    26,863
    Thanks
    5062

    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    not if it's true. There can be an argument made that the majority of whites fall into the category of the "closet racist". Hell, I'd venture to say that the majority of American's could fall into that category.
    Many just prefer to associate with people like themselves that doesn't make someone a racist.

  7. #47
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,807
    Thanks
    32688

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    I am not willing to buy into that ... the idea that white people are inherently racist, or born that way. That is itself a racist presumption.
    Obviously, no belief regarding race is genetically linked. But all kids are shaped by their environment, and yes, all white kids have an impact due to the white patriarchy, just as all other kids do. Mitigating and counterbalancing that impact is on their parents, and it isn't easy.

    You can, and likely do, raise non-racist kids.

    But raising kids who have no attitudes, beliefs or bias based on race is impossible, IMO.
    Last edited by Madeline; 15th February 2018 at 01:33 PM.

  8. #48
    Shitposting Rank 4 Missle Command Champion johnflesh's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    21,524
    Thanks
    11765

    From
    Colorado
    The only thing about racism (with regard to the OP) is that I'll never truly understand what it's like. I've seen it inflicted on my friends, co-workers and past roommates, and even if I can tell its wrong, I don't feel it like they do.

    I can sympathize and empathize, but can never really know how it feels.
    Thanks from boontito

  9. #49
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    13,257
    Thanks
    3260

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by johnflesh View Post
    The only thing about racism (with regard to the OP) is that I'll never truly understand what it's like. I've seen it inflicted on my friends, co-workers and past roommates, and even if I can tell its wrong, I don't feel it like they do.

    I can sympathize and empathize, but can never really know how it feels.
    Mr. Flesh,

    Growing up and experiencing it, and experiencing it randomly over my adult years, it is something I've expected will happen and just deal with it.

  10. #50
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,598
    Thanks
    32734

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    uh, you're a lawyer - right? So, you'd know the difference between saying that an argument can be made and embracing that argument as true.
    Yes. And there is also such a thing as using such language to make that argument, as well, and in the context of your posts you are doing exactly that.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 14th November 2017, 04:37 PM
  2. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 1st March 2017, 12:59 AM
  3. Replies: 281
    Last Post: 13th November 2016, 12:34 AM
  4. Replies: 57
    Last Post: 14th July 2015, 02:01 PM
  5. Black Chamber of Commerce President blasts "marxist," "brownshirt" Obama
    By (R)IGHTeous 1 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 1st May 2011, 10:31 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed