Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 72
Thanks Tree22Thanks

Thread: why black kids just can't "get over" being exposed to racial slurs.

  1. #61
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,827
    Thanks
    44417

    From
    becoming more and more
    oh, and btw, I'm taking "the other side" right there in the OP. Not to mention in several comments on this very thread.
    Maybe you're not really seeing what you think you're seeing.

  2. #62
    Veteran Member Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    21,828
    Thanks
    9421

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    Quote Originally Posted by fenrir View Post
    I'm white. I've experienced racism at the hands of mexicans and blacks. I eventually grew out of it realizing somewhere along the way that there are both good and bad with all races and ethnicities.

    Here's the part where you tell me all about white privilege. Then I'll mention the fact I'm the bastard son of a teen aged mother from the poorest of poor folk here in the us and a high school dropout for boot. {exhale} {inhale}

    Then you'll preach to me about being the recipient of white privilege just in case I've already forgotten that already. {exhale} {again}

    There, that should just about cover it.

    Nope, that DOESN'T cover it....not by a mile. The only thing I ever read from you these days is how bad liberals are and how tearfully good people like yourself are. Listen, not all liberals are what you pretend them to be. They mostly don't even know who you are until YOU make a big stink about how bad meany-poo-poo-head liberals and their supreme goddess Hillary "Cankles" Hilldabeast are in the first place. It goes both ways, you know; If you had treated Obama with any kind of respect, maybe....just maybe when your guy got elected, they would remember how classy you acted when it was their turn. Well, here you are.....Trump has the reins and you can't even enjoy it due to Trump derangement syndrome. Well....well....the chickens have come home to roost and now, you know how it feels to be spit on. Almost as bad (not quite) as Mohammad Ali Being refused service after wining a gold medal in the Olympics.

    Of course, not all Liberals were mean to you. Some of them stood up for you, even at the expense of themselves becoming a target and ending up quickly, an outcast of the islands (book reference). Maybe we aren't all as fair-minded as we think we are, as we imagine ourselves when ask for everyone to "all just get along" [Rodney King after L.A's finest "served and protected" the living shit out of him]. Oh, hey....sorry to hear that you had a hard life, join the frick'n club.

    Take your own self-righteous advice.

  3. #63
    Veteran Member Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    21,828
    Thanks
    9421

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    oh, and btw, I'm taking "the other side" right there in the OP. Not to mention in several comments on this very thread.
    Maybe you're not really seeing what you think you're seeing.
    It's not a matter of seeing, maybe every once in a while, you should listen.
    Last edited by Puzzling Evidence; 16th February 2018 at 11:41 AM.

  4. #64
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,827
    Thanks
    44417

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    Nope, that DOESN'T cover it....not by a mile. The only thing I ever read from you these days is how bad liberals are and how tearfully good people like yourself are. Listen, not all liberals are what you pretend them to be. They mostly don't even know who you are until YOU make a big stink about how bad meany-poo-poo-head liberals and their supreme goddess Hillary "Cankles" Hilldabeast are in the first place. It goes both ways, you know; If you had treated Obama with any kind of respect, maybe....just maybe when your guy got elected, they would remember how classy you acted when it was their turn. Well, here you are.....Trump has the reins and you can't even enjoy it due to Trump derangement syndrome. Well....well....the chickens have come home to roost and now, you know how it feels to be spit on. Almost as bad (not quite) as Mohammad Ali Being refused service after wining a gold medal in the Olympics.

    Of course, not all Liberals were mean to you. Some of them stood up for you, even at the expense of themselves becoming a target and ending up quickly, an outcast of the islands (book reference). Maybe we aren't all as fair-minded as we think we are, as we imagine ourselves when ask for everyone to "all just get along" [Rodney King after L.A's finest "served and protected" the living shit out of him]. Oh, hey....sorry to hear that you had a hard life, join the frick'n club.

    Take your own self-righteous advice.
    well, at least , he/she is making a legitimate contribution to the actual topic.

  5. #65
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,827
    Thanks
    44417

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    It's not a matter of seeing, maybe every once in a while, you should listen.
    gonna comment on the actual topic any time soon?

  6. #66
    Veteran Member Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    21,828
    Thanks
    9421

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    gonna comment on the actual topic any time soon?
    I have, are you? You keep hammering home the same song. Time to flip the 8 track.

  7. #67
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,827
    Thanks
    44417

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    I have, are you? You keep hammering home the same song. Time to flip the 8 track.
    so, what? If that's the case why haven't you learned to just ignore it and move on? Something brings you these threads every single time to bitch about them. Why is that? What compels you to try to shut down only these specific types of threads? I don't see you on any other types of threads whining about the topic itself. Just the ones I start on race. Why? Do you even know?

  8. #68
    Veteran Member Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    21,828
    Thanks
    9421

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    well, at least , he/she is making a legitimate contribution to the actual topic.
    Take out "liberal and conservative" and replace it with "black and white." Truth is truth, it applies across the board.

    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    so, what? If that's the case why haven't you learned to just ignore it and move on? Something brings you these threads every single time to bitch about them. Why is that? What compels you to try to shut down only these specific types of threads? I don't see you on any other types of threads whining about the topic itself. Just the ones I start on race. Why? Do you even know?
    I am posting in this thread, as a way to DISAGREE with some of what you are saying. I have noticed that you only cover black white issues and you are always on the same side in the blame game. How would that look to you? The name of this forum is "Racism." I am actually quite on topic with what I am saying. Offer us some words of balance, sometime. It's a bad reflection on your intention.
    Last edited by Puzzling Evidence; 17th February 2018 at 03:53 AM.

  9. #69
    res
    res is offline
    Member
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,569
    Thanks
    1102

    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    so, first things first. Being subjected to racism is a traumatic event for kids growing up black in America. It doesn't matter if they grew up in a time after Jim Crow, or when whites could rape, murder, or demoralize them with impunity. The life, in of itself, is a traumatic event. And like any other traumatic event it leaves them with a form of PTSD. That said. It can also be a traumatic event for anyone witnessing it who doesn't happen to be black. We hear stories all the time of friends who went shopping with their African American friends and were shocked to see how they were treated. Or stories about being in a car when their African American friends were stopped by the police. Or see videos of cops shooting an African American unarmed youth. These events are traumatic to behold regardless of what race you happen to be. Even, believe or not, for the perpetrators of racism and/or bigotry.

    That's right.

    Bet, you weren't expecting that angle were you? But, think about it. What sort of person does it take to treat another human being in a demoralizing manner simply because of their race? That sort of person has to have suffered some sort of trauma in the past. Deep inside, they must know that the person they're dehumanizing is a fellow human being. Just like them. It's not officially recognized as a mental illness. But, it sure as hell has all the markers of one. Anyone that would treat a another human being with that kind of cruelty has to be suffering from a severe lack of respect for themselves.

    Among the wors of these is the so-called "closet racist". This is a person who , by all outward appearances, doesn't appear to be racist. But, deep inside, they nonetheless secretly identify with the hardcore racist. Deep inside they hear the call of racism lurking somewhere deep beneath the surface. Just waiting for the right movement to reveal itself (typically, with plausible deniability). Or they might even let it all out in privacy. Or among those who think the way they do. Who can assure them that they really aren't racist. It's an inner racial turmoil eating away at them....

    To be continued. Cuz, we have to get back to the topic at hand.

    So many of these things are the obstacles that black kids in American have to navigate in their quest to be treated as equals; in their quest to become "whole". More often than not they are vulnerable to the majority population. Who, although mostly sympathetic, lacks a true understanding of their plight. Even among those who think they do.

    Black parents invariably have to have that "talk" with their kids. Usually, at an early age, because kids see and hear things that they need a guiding hand to explain, at a very early age. Because, except only in very rare cases , sooner or later, their kids are going to encounter racial slurs, racial resentments, racial animus, or just plain straight up racial hatred. All parents do their best to prepare their kids for this real world. Sure enough. And each child is unique in their own right.

    But, no matter how much parents try to prepare their kids, no one can really be prepared for when it's first happens. Nor, can anyone explain what it feels like to anyone that hasn't experienced it. You think you might know. But , you don't. You have no Earthly fucking clue. Nor can you know what it's like to have to be aware each and every moment that it might happen, if only in the corner of your mind. Or how it feels to have let your guard down and to be hit with racism, a racial slur, racial animus , resentment, or hate, unexpectedly. Especially, when it is coming from that so-called "close racist". Who has succeeded in convincing you they understand. Because, like vicious, vindictive snakes in the grass, they've waited for the right time , and the right circumstances, to strike.
    I've seen your other posts in this thread talking about the part I've put in bold. This is the only part of your post I wouldn't necessarily agree with.

    I don't think it takes a traumatic experience in a child's life to turn them racist. There are many examples of this in history and I think Hannah Arendt covers it very well in her book "The Banality of Evil". She takes the example of Adolph Eichmann, but you could also take Herman Goering, Erich Ludendorff, Heinrich Himmler, Reinhard Heydrich and many other prominent Nazis.

    Himmler for example had a very ordinary life as a chicken farmer until he joined the Nazis and rose through their ranks working in their "secret service" detail.

    For her portrayal of Adolph Eichmann as an ordinary pencil pusher, with which I wholeheartedly agree, Arendt was ostracised by the Jewish community, even though she herself fled Germany in the 1930s as she was Jewish.

    It's a good book, little tiring, but good.
    Thanks from Puzzling Evidence

  10. #70
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,827
    Thanks
    44417

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    Take out "liberal and conservative" and replace it with "black and white." Truth is truth, it applies across the board.



    I am posting in this thread, as a way to DISAGREE with some of what you are saying. I have noticed that you only cover black white issues and you are always on the same side in the blame game. How would that look to you? The name of this forum is "Racism." I am actually quite on topic with what I am saying. Offer us some words of balance, sometime. It's a bad reflection on your intention.
    so, to be clear. You're upset over your perceptions that I don't "cover" racism against white people enough?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 14th November 2017, 04:37 PM
  2. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 1st March 2017, 12:59 AM
  3. Replies: 281
    Last Post: 13th November 2016, 12:34 AM
  4. Replies: 57
    Last Post: 14th July 2015, 02:01 PM
  5. Black Chamber of Commerce President blasts "marxist," "brownshirt" Obama
    By (R)IGHTeous 1 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 1st May 2011, 10:31 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed