View Poll Results: have you noticed a change in racial attitudes since trump got elected

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • yeah, it's subtle but it's there.

    5 25.00%
  • yeah, it's pretty obvious.

    8 40.00%
  • no, not at all.

    5 25.00%
  • maybe.

    1 5.00%
  • other.

    1 5.00%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 98
Thanks Tree44Thanks

Thread: have you noticed a change in racial attitudes since trump?

  1. #61
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,172
    Thanks
    313

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    seriously? These things really need to be explained to you?
    If it were a simple matter, then you wouldn't mind answering the question -- instead of acting incredulous that it needs to be explained. So I'll ask again:

    How is racial identity different from racism as applied to a personal opinion?

    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    People aren't stigmatized simply because they have an opinion. It depends on the opinion.
    So, there is a social sanction for having an opinion?

    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    Using your logic it would make people pedophiles if they stigmatize people who think it's ok to rape kids. Surely, you must know these things.
    Except that I am not asking about pedophilia. Pedophilia is not an element of an individual's identity. Race is.

  2. #62
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    21,243
    Thanks
    3326

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    Of course there are. In fact, from the perspective of social science, most people identify with their own race.

    The question now is how is this different from racism -- or are they the same thing?

    And if society stigmatizes a person for having an opinion, how is that different from what racists do?
    Yes, people identify most with people they most closely resemble. In group preferences can't be altered.

    These are essentially the same, or at least come from the same place. If the only difference being that someone labelled racist doesn't keep that preference to themselves.

    The racists are stigmatizing people simply for who they are, not what they've done.

  3. #63
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,172
    Thanks
    313

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    Yes, people identify most with people they most closely resemble. In group preferences can't be altered.

    These are essentially the same, or at least come from the same place. If the only difference being that someone labelled racist doesn't keep that preference to themselves.

    The racists are stigmatizing people simply for who they are, not what they've done.
    I'm not talking about a willful action -- since I have already said that willful actions are subject to moral judgment.

    I'm talking about stigmatizing people for having an opinion that most people do not care to have.

  4. #64
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,827
    Thanks
    44417

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    If it were a simple matter, then you wouldn't mind answering the question -- instead of acting incredulous that it needs to be explained. So I'll ask again:

    How is racial identity different from racism as applied to a personal opinion?



    So, there is a social sanction for having an opinion?



    Except that I am not asking about pedophilia. Pedophilia is not an element of an individual's identity. Race is.
    your argument is absurd on it's face. What's more is I think you know it is. You can't possibly be this confused about how opinions work. Some opinions are acceptable in society. Others aren't. Individual opinions are judged on an individual basis. That's where things get a little more complicated. Opinions, generally speaking, most certainly are linked to ones identity. Not just opinions on race. But instead, most, if not all opinions. That's one of the things that typically separates opinions from facts. This really isn't that complicated.

  5. #65
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,827
    Thanks
    44417

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    I'm not talking about a willful action -- since I have already said that willful actions are subject to moral judgment.

    I'm talking about stigmatizing people for having an opinion that most people do not care to have.
    what specific opinions are you referring to?

  6. #66
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    21,243
    Thanks
    3326

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    I'm not talking about a willful action -- since I have already said that willful actions are subject to moral judgment.

    I'm talking about stigmatizing people for having an opinion that most people do not care to have.
    Yes, agreed, actions have consequences...

    If the stigmatization is nothing more than an ingrained preferences not outwardly expressed, well, there's nothing that can change.

    It seems that, to some, even the presence of that preference is an evil that must be snuffed out.

  7. #67
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,172
    Thanks
    313

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    your argument is absurd on it's face. What's more is I think you know it is. You can't possibly be this confused about how opinions work.
    What argument is that? I asked a question.

    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    Some opinions are acceptable in society. Others aren't. Individual opinions are judged on an individual basis. That's where things get a little more complicated. Opinions, generally speaking, most certainly are linked to ones identity. Not just opinions on race. But instead, most, if not all opinions. That's one of the things that typically separates opinions from facts. This really isn't that complicated.
    So, racial identity and racism? Same or not?

  8. #68
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,172
    Thanks
    313

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    Yes, agreed, actions have consequences...

    If the stigmatization is nothing more than an ingrained preferences not outwardly expressed, well, there's nothing that can change.

    It seems that, to some, even the presence of that preference is an evil that must be snuffed out.
    Are you saying people ought not identify with their own race?

  9. #69
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,827
    Thanks
    44417

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    What argument is that? I asked a question.



    So, racial identity and racism? Same or not?
    don't understand the question. If you're referring to "white pride" , yes, that's racist. If you're referring to other forms or racial identity, it would depend on the motivation behind it.

  10. #70
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    49,901
    Thanks
    15022

    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    Do you know what his grades were? Being a part of academia doesn't make you brilliant. What you do with it , is what matters.
    Yeah that's right it's what you do with it. He went on to be president. And by the way, do you know the fucking grades of any of the presidents?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 248
    Last Post: 24th December 2016, 10:39 AM
  2. strange thing I noticed about trump supporters since he won.
    By the watchman in forum Political Humor
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 14th November 2016, 12:35 AM
  3. No one noticed?? Trump political director resigned 2 days ago!!
    By cpicturetaker12 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21st October 2016, 07:48 PM
  4. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 14th October 2016, 06:20 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26th February 2014, 06:46 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed