Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 88
Thanks Tree52Thanks

Thread: lessons in cultural sensitivity.

  1. #21
    Senior Member Sparta's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    21,474
    Thanks
    8646

    From
    Connecticut
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    Who said I did?
    You can't spend 10 minutes of your life constructing a straw man for me and get all indignant when it happens to you

  2. #22
    Veteran Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    18,891
    Thanks
    12952

    From
    My own world
    Quote Originally Posted by GoaTlOver View Post
    Is that how you accepted Bill Clinton?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    You can't spend 10 minutes of your life constructing a straw man for me and get all indignant when it happens to you
    I did not. I asked a question that was based in your support for Trump who is culturally insensitive which is the topic of this thread. GoaTIover asks me why I accepted Bill Clinton. I don’t and didn’t. That’s not a straw man argument that’s a fact and an answer to a straight forward question. Stubborn facts, they keep getting in the way of your reasoning for making dumb ass decisions.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Sparta's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    21,474
    Thanks
    8646

    From
    Connecticut
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    I did not. I asked a question that was based in your support for Trump who is culturally insensitive which is the topic of this thread. GoaTIover asks me why I accepted Bill Clinton. I don’t and didn’t. That’s not a straw man argument that’s a fact and an answer to a straight forward question. Stubborn facts, they keep getting in the way of your reasoning for making dumb ass decisions.
    Yeah you did, and it's pretty exhausting having to explain it to you. I never voiced support for Trump, I'm a card carrying Democrat (despite my better judgement) and your post about my supposed GOP support is out of left field and completely unrelated to anything I've posted.

    I said white people throwing other white people on their sword has become a laughably dignity free exercise in virtue signaling.

  4. #24
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,806
    Thanks
    32686

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    I think given your extreme left views on socialism most would lump you in with being a liberal. Your comment however did not come off like you were talking about most liberals being "self aware" that they hold prejudice views but more like they held prejudice views period. I know everybody holds prejudice views not just liberals and not just white liberals. No matter what color you are, you have racist views, even if you are of mixed race. The only difference is peoples reaction in society. Being self aware that you hold them and not being in denial that you don't hold them makes all the difference in the world. It forces you to double check your reaction to situations and question decisions before they are final. Ask yourself I'm I doing this because it's the right thing to do or am I making this decision through biased goggles?

    I'll give you an example. I asked myself if I would have judged this kid as being born a pychopath based on what I know of him had he been black and the answer was yes. Pretty sure that this then was not based on the kids race. I go through the same mental check list in my head with every shooting, I wonder how many conservatives or extreme liberals (you) stand back and think like that? Do you see a black man convicted of a crime and automatically think he is innocent? I think you are trying to hard. If convicted I assume he is guilty regardless of his color until I am shown hard evidence.
    95% of felony convictions in America result from plea deals
    In Ohio, you can be arrested for embezzlement and plead out to murder, and it's all good. NOBODY -- not judges, prosecutors or defense lawyers -- makes ANY pretense that the pleas accepted are truthful.

    When the defendant is poor and black, I ASSUME the criminal justice he or she received was so slapdash, or even racist, that the odds the conviction lines up with the facts are barely above zero.

    I don't think the average person in America who is white and middle class has ANY FUCKING IDEA just how pernicious and systemic racism actually is in our country. I don't have that luxury because (1) I was raised in extreme urban poverty and (2) I have been a lawyer since 1989. That's a very unusual resume, and I don't expect others to "take my word for it" that things are this bad.

    I get frustrated by liberals who cling to their ignorance because they don't want to dirty their hands improving this revolting system, and because they KNOW it benefits them and even though they get cheap thrills condemning racism in others, they are 100% unwilling to risk losing their own white privilege.

    In my view, our justice system for the poor is just window dressing for a new form of slavery, and those of us privileged to be outside the horror show are complicit in ignoring what goes on.

    Obviously, we have a different justice system for the wealthy, and that isn't perfect either. But it's capable of producing just results a good 90%+ of the time, which makes it among the world's finest.
    Last edited by Madeline; 26th February 2018 at 06:53 AM.
    Thanks from the watchman and GoaTlOver

  5. #25
    Veteran Member Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    21,828
    Thanks
    9421

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    I think that being "overly sensitive" to racial issues is actually a form of racism. I believe that white people who constantly put other white people down are not really defending minorities, rather they are attempting to score brownie points and/or get laid. I believe that minorities who make disparaging, racist comments to whites because they think that they have a pass, are themselves racist, not "reverse racist" that's yet another misguided attempt at social superiority. I think white people who do not understand how badly blacks and others still suffer at the hands of white people who abuse their power, should every once in a while, shut up and listen.

    Furthermore and in conclusion, if I meet someone....regardless of their nationality, color, religion, etc....if they try to put me in some kind of group that I view myself to not be a part of, it makes me not want to be their friend. Why you ask? I don't like people who judge me by my color, my nationality, my religion, my "hood" or my even my weight or height. It is exceedingly impolite to pigeonhole people that way. It's most of the time unnecessary and unproductive.
    Last edited by Puzzling Evidence; 26th February 2018 at 07:39 AM.
    Thanks from One and GoaTlOver

  6. #26
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,806
    Thanks
    32686

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    I think that being "overly sensitive" to racial issues is actually a form of racism. I believe that white people who constantly put other white people down are not really defending minorities, rather they are attempting to score brownie points and/or get laid. I believe that minorities who make disparaging, racist comments to whites because they think that they have a pass, are themselves racist, not "reverse racist" that's yet another misguided attempt at social superiority. I think white people who do not understand how badly blacks and others still suffer at the hands of white people who abuse their power, should every once in a while, shut up and listen.

    Furthermore and in conclusion, if I meet someone....regardless of their nationality, color, religion, etc....if they try to put me in some kind of group that I view myself to not be a part of, it makes me not want to be their friend. Why you ask? I don't like people who judge me by my color, my nationality, my religion, my "hood" or my even my weight or height. It is exceedingly impolite to pigeonhole people that way. It's most of the time unnecessary and unproductive.
    Again, you are looking at individuals' expressions of racism, etc. I certainly don't consider it a waste of time to examine your own conduct (including how you react to others) on race issues. There's an enormous gap between any two American strangers of different races because in this country, that's the most significant data we can have about one another. Not age, gender, apparent class, etc.

    Race. Americans are coocoo for cocoa puffs on the issue to a degree that probably is only rivaled by South Africa.

    But individual racism/reactions is not the most severe threat to the well-being of Americans. It doesn't begin to rival the harm done by institutional racism.

    IMO, institutional racism is the greatest wealth generator in this country, and drives the ever-growing income inequality that is blighting ALL our lives.

  7. #27
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,806
    Thanks
    32686

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by GoaTlOver View Post
    Seriously...you?!? I am not trying to be mean or disrespectful here, but let's face it...you are probably one of the most closed minded, set in her ways people at this site.
    Lolololololol.

    *Gigglesnort*

  8. #28
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,806
    Thanks
    32686

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    Who said I did?
    Your posts over the last year or so? Just guessing.....

  9. #29
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,828
    Thanks
    44417

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    I think that being "overly sensitive" to racial issues is actually a form of racism.
    oh, bullshit. That's not a form of racism. It it were having a fking fit every time someone says the word "race" would be racist. Most certainly, telling African American's they're being "overly sensitive" about race would be.
    Last edited by the watchman; 26th February 2018 at 08:21 AM.

  10. #30
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,806
    Thanks
    32686

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    I did not. I asked a question that was based in your support for Trump who is culturally insensitive which is the topic of this thread. GoaTIover asks me why I accepted Bill Clinton. I don’t and didn’t. That’s not a straw man argument that’s a fact and an answer to a straight forward question. Stubborn facts, they keep getting in the way of your reasoning for making dumb ass decisions.
    You cannot possibly expect to fight to the death for a Hillary Clinton presidency -- so as to avoid the "disaster" of a Sanders presidency! -- and be taken seriously as a Bill Clinton opponent.

    For a second.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cultural appropriation
    By Amelia in forum Civil Rights
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 14th March 2017, 12:19 AM
  2. Replies: 67
    Last Post: 16th October 2014, 01:55 PM
  3. Media "sensitivity" regarding AIDS
    By Robert Urbanek in forum Journalism
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 23rd May 2014, 05:12 PM
  4. Cultural genocide
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th May 2013, 12:41 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed