Members banned from this thread: WisconsinCheeseNip


Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 218
Thanks Tree84Thanks

Thread: wtf is "identity politics"?

  1. #31
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    22,720
    Thanks
    13785

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by libertariat720 View Post
    Am I wrong?
    Am I wrong about you?

    Churchill died a long time ago, what's your "excuse" for the here and now, young person?

    Oh... and I forgot the crucible point from your "What do I do for a hangover?" thread: Tomato...

    Have the worst hangover in the world... then take two bites of a tomato, (Salsa, menudo as suggested) and in less than 5 minutes you will feel fine, more than fine...

    I was actually worried about you, even though I feel you set "fuck-weasel" threads and are a poster child of the "MEEEEEE" generation.

    Thx

  2. #32
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    22,720
    Thanks
    13785

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    Am I wrong about you?

    Churchill died a long time ago, what's your "excuse" for the here and now, young person?

    Oh... and I forgot the crucible point from your "What do I do for a hangover?" thread: Tomato...

    Have the worst hangover in the world... then take two bites of a tomato, (Salsa, menudo as suggested) and in less than 5 minutes you will feel fine, more than fine...

    I was actually worried about you, even though I feel you set "fuck-weasel" threads and are a poster child of the "MEEEEEE" generation.

    Thx
    And just a "dumb kid" all around...



    Stop being a damnably-dumb kid, you can improve your situation!

    Thx
    Last edited by Thx1138; 19th February 2018 at 06:31 PM.

  3. #33
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    22,720
    Thanks
    13785

    From
    aMEEErica
    "Science" is what you want!



    And finish your degree your parents paid for!

    Thx

  4. #34
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,827
    Thanks
    44417

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by libertariat720 View Post
    You obviously did not read my post saying that the differences between groups are not nearly as large as the difference within groups.

    That would make your assertion just plain dumb.
    bet that made more sense in your head than in this post.
    Thanks from Thx1138 and ATLglock

  5. #35
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    65,461
    Thanks
    37004

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    aren't political parties a "group"?
    Isn't American a "group".
    And so what if people vote according to what's best for a group they personally identify with? What's wrong with that? So what if politicians cater to the needs and concerns of particular groups? What's wrong with that? Seems to me all the objections to so-called "identity politics" is code speak used to diminished the concerns of historically disenfranchised groups ( women, minorities, immigrants). Seems to me identifying with a particular group is perfectly acceptable so long as that group has all the power, at least for those that belong to the group in power.
    Actually, I'd say that white identity politics is the worst sort.

    What's wrong with identity politics is that it divides us. It separates us into factions that have a hard time compromising and getting along in a single country. It shouldn't surprise anyone that our greatest (for the moment) external enemy is doing everything it can to exacerbate divisions between Americans.

    When a group is truly disempowered, identity politics makes sense because they need to band together in order to achieve some sort of power. And when the facts on the ground really indicate that such a group has real, practical disadvantages based on their group, identity politics may be the only kind that make sense. But as a permanent feature of politics, it's a problem. It can (and it currently does) prevent the wider res publica from achieving just about any goal.
    Thanks from johnflesh, HCProf, Friday13 and 1 others

  6. #36
    Shitposting Rank 4 Missle Command Champion johnflesh's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    21,458
    Thanks
    11707

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    Actually, I'd say that white identity politics is the worst sort.

    What's wrong with identity politics is that it divides us. It separates us into factions that have a hard time compromising and getting along in a single country. It shouldn't surprise anyone that our greatest (for the moment) external enemy is doing everything it can to exacerbate divisions between Americans.

    When a group is truly disempowered, identity politics makes sense because they need to band together in order to achieve some sort of power. And when the facts on the ground really indicate that such a group has real, practical disadvantages based on their group, identity politics may be the only kind that make sense. But as a permanent feature of politics, it's a problem. It can (and it currently does) prevent the wider res publica from achieving just about any goal.
    Well stated.
    Thanks from Rasselas and HCProf

  7. #37
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    45,485
    Thanks
    18088

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    Nor did Churchill...

    Good, but of course you are prepared to paint someone else as a "lush."

    Typical GOP...

    And you are so young, why are you so gullible as well?

    Thx
    What is wrong with being a lush?????????????
    Thanks from Puzzling Evidence

  8. #38
    Senior Member libertariat720's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    8,085
    Thanks
    2595

    From
    ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    bet that made more sense in your head than in this post.
    Ah, so you refute the claim that differences between groups are not as large as differences within groups?

    Or you probably don't understand what that even means.

  9. #39
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,417
    Thanks
    32653

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    What is wrong with being a lush?????????????
    Want to see some before/after pics?
    Thanks from Thx1138 and Puzzling Evidence

  10. #40
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    30,660
    Thanks
    3899

    Because the left in the US is comprised of many smaller groupings of people and it has succeeded in shaping laws to give those groups special protections, it seeks to expand its reach by creating new groups of similar qualities.

    So the protections of Gay people has expanded to include not only actual victims, but those who imagine themselves to be victims because they have an unverifiable desire to be their opposite gender or a neutral gender or no gender at all. Identity politics is at the heart, focused on the amplification of outrage and the concentration of voting blocks. It's all about being "special" and "uniquely disadvantaged." And while there are people who are truly "special" and "uniquely disadvantaged," the idea of making oneself into a victim through the use of imagination alone is the leveraging principle here. More voters, from thin air, is the aim. And with an increasing limitation on illegal immigrants, they are going to have to get them from somewhere.
    Last edited by kmiller1610; 19th February 2018 at 11:44 PM.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th August 2017, 07:31 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18th July 2017, 06:59 PM
  3. Hillary Clinton: "Politics Has to Play Some Role in This"
    By Babba in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 13th April 2016, 11:46 AM
  4. "Political identity is fair game for hatred"
    By Dittohead not! in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 8th December 2015, 10:41 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16th July 2012, 05:12 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed