Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
Thanks Tree22Thanks

Thread: Air Pollution Worse In Poor, Black Neighborhoods

  1. #11
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    22,720
    Thanks
    13785

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    It isn't necessary to solve all the problems to have a positive impact. Anyone can move the needle locally, and it's hugely rewarding. The payoff in human capital can be enormous.
    If I ran the circus... my first priority here would be to replace the most egregious polluters "upwind."

    Depressed areas are inherently more toxic, so the will needs to be found to renovate those situations.

    The poor have always gotten the shitty end of the deal here, I don't believe it's racism, but "poorism."

    If we get our shit together in a holistic sense, then that's less money for annual "storms of the century" etc, California can produce all the fresh water they could ever use.

    If it costs me less here, then I can apply more resources over there where they are needed...

    Thx
    Thanks from BitterPill and Madeline

  2. #12
    Ignorance Is Virtue BitterPill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    10,614
    Thanks
    7231

    From
    SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    If I ran the circus... my first priority here would be to replace the most egregious polluters "upwind."

    Depressed areas are inherently more toxic, so the will needs to be found to renovate those situations.

    The poor have always gotten the shitty end of the deal here, I don't believe it's racism, but "poorism."

    If we get our shit together in a holistic sense, then that's less money for annual "storms of the century" etc, California can produce all the fresh water they could ever use.

    If it costs me less here, then I can apply more resources over there where they are needed...

    Thx
    I agree that economic factors should be considered more heavily than race.

    Other than that, you are a man with a plan.

    Well done!
    Last edited by BitterPill; 26th February 2018 at 08:21 PM.
    Thanks from Thx1138 and Madeline

  3. #13
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    22,720
    Thanks
    13785

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterPill View Post
    A man with a plan.

    Well done!
    You're from Southern Cal, I'm from West Covina...

    I'm seriously considering sending this vid to the Gov.



    One would like to believe that they are aware of this, but it won't hurt and let's go ahead and make certain.

    They are doing this in Ethiopia... it really doesn't matter so much the amount of precipitation, it's what is done with that water when it does rain.

    Does a fair proportion run off, (like in So. Cal, I remember that "LA River" overflowing on the few days of rain, two or three we got.)

    And even back then I saw what was running out to water the ocean: money...

    If we ever got our shit in one sock we could be a fresh water exporter...

    There are supposed to be something like an average of 29 wars going on at any one time in the world over fresh water.

    Thx
    Thanks from BitterPill and Madeline

  4. #14
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,806
    Thanks
    32686

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterPill View Post
    I think you should change 'black' to 'minorities' in the title for accuracy's sake. Otherwise, what you describe is a common urban problem.
    Point taken.
    Thanks from BitterPill and Thx1138

  5. #15
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,806
    Thanks
    32686

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Point taken.
    BTW, the title of this thread is the title of the article, which is why I used it. But I admit, I am not as aware of poor Latino communities as I should be. Cleveland has a mostly Latino neighborhood, but it's mainly Puerto Rican and not poor.

    Which I know, is not at all true of most cities.
    Thanks from BitterPill and Thx1138

  6. #16
    Ignorance Is Virtue BitterPill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    10,614
    Thanks
    7231

    From
    SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    BTW, the title of this thread is the title of the article, which is why I used it. But I admit, I am not as aware of poor Latino communities as I should be. Cleveland has a mostly Latino neighborhood, but it's mainly Puerto Rican and not poor.

    Which I know, is not at all true of most cities.
    Fair enough.

    There are a lot of Latino neighborhoods and, obviously, Latinos in my area; I like it, but I speak Spanish fairly well which greases the rails some.
    Last edited by BitterPill; 26th February 2018 at 09:13 PM.
    Thanks from Madeline

  7. #17
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,806
    Thanks
    32686

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterPill View Post
    Fair enough.

    There are a lot of Latino neighborhoods and, obviously, Latinos in my area; I like it, but I speak Spanish fairly well which greases the rails some.
    Back in the day, the city I grew up had a different neighborhood for 1,001 ethnic groups, most of them poor. It was a great environment to live in.

    Apparently this was also true of Cleveland until the 1970's or so.
    Thanks from BitterPill

  8. #18
    Veteran Member Kontrary's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    14,009
    Thanks
    12637

    From
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    If I ran the circus... my first priority here would be to replace the most egregious polluters "upwind."

    Depressed areas are inherently more toxic, so the will needs to be found to renovate those situations.

    The poor have always gotten the shitty end of the deal here, I don't believe it's racism, but "poorism."

    If we get our shit together in a holistic sense, then that's less money for annual "storms of the century" etc, California can produce all the fresh water they could ever use.

    If it costs me less here, then I can apply more resources over there where they are needed...

    Thx
    It is racism, it plays more of a role than economics do. A rich predominately black area will have more superfund sites than a poor white area...

    Its quantifiable in raw numers, non whites are more impacted, when looked at based on poverty, not as signficant as race.

    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...X.2017.1408439

    Most research suggests that non-white populations as well as Hispanic populations are more likely to live near Superfund sites. The same studies also found that areas with higher levels of poverty and lower levels of education may also be impacted. However, race and ethnicity seem to play a larger role than poverty and education

    To add, also from the study

    The significant cluster has a low poverty rate (11.37%) compared to the poverty rate in the contiguous USA (16.21%), but its rate of African Americans is quite high (17.77%) relative to the corresponding rate in the contiguous USA (9.52%). The secondary cluster has a poverty rate that is similar to the poverty rate in the contiguous USA, but it has a very high rate of African Americans (49.87%).
    Last edited by Kontrary; 26th February 2018 at 09:40 PM.
    Thanks from Madeline

  9. #19
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,806
    Thanks
    32686

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontrary View Post
    It is racism, it plays more of a role than economics do. A rich predominately black area will have more superfund sites than a poor white area...

    Its quantifiable in raw numers, non whites are more impacted, when looked at based on poverty, not as signficant as race.

    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...X.2017.1408439

    Most research suggests that non-white populations as well as Hispanic populations are more likely to live near Superfund sites. The same studies also found that areas with higher levels of poverty and lower levels of education may also be impacted. However, race and ethnicity seem to play a larger role than poverty and education

    To add, also from the study

    The significant cluster has a low poverty rate (11.37%) compared to the poverty rate in the contiguous USA (16.21%), but its rate of African Americans is quite high (17.77%) relative to the corresponding rate in the contiguous USA (9.52%). The secondary cluster has a poverty rate that is similar to the poverty rate in the contiguous USA, but it has a very high rate of African Americans (49.87%).
    Jesus Christ! It's worse than I thought.

  10. #20
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    22,720
    Thanks
    13785

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontrary View Post
    It is racism, it plays more of a role than economics do. A rich predominately black area will have more superfund sites than a poor white area...

    Its quantifiable in raw numers, non whites are more impacted, when looked at based on poverty, not as signficant as race.

    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...X.2017.1408439

    Most research suggests that non-white populations as well as Hispanic populations are more likely to live near Superfund sites. The same studies also found that areas with higher levels of poverty and lower levels of education may also be impacted. However, race and ethnicity seem to play a larger role than poverty and education

    To add, also from the study

    The significant cluster has a low poverty rate (11.37%) compared to the poverty rate in the contiguous USA (16.21%), but its rate of African Americans is quite high (17.77%) relative to the corresponding rate in the contiguous USA (9.52%). The secondary cluster has a poverty rate that is similar to the poverty rate in the contiguous USA, but it has a very high rate of African Americans (49.87%).
    Here is what I am seeing at the link:

    The significant cluster has a low poverty rate (11.37%) compared to the poverty rate in the contiguous USA (16.21%), but its rate of African Americans is quite high (17.77%) relative to the corresponding rate in the contiguous USA (9.52%). The secondary cluster has a poverty rate that is similar to the poverty rate in the contiguous USA, but it has a very high rate of African Americans (49.87%).

    (And I see you added that to your post.)

    Now, they are siting one superfund location in Delaware, can we be sure that they have picked areas that will impact race on purpose, across the land?

    Not saying they don't, but I only see one place referenced at the link.

    "More likely to live next to" and "put there intentionally on account of race" are two different things.

    Thx
    Last edited by Thx1138; 26th February 2018 at 09:54 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 22nd September 2016, 01:34 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 4th June 2015, 02:48 AM
  3. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 3rd April 2015, 04:15 PM
  4. LAPD disabled recording devices in black neighborhoods
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 9th April 2014, 05:49 PM
  5. Poor Black Community in Chicago Outraged at Obama
    By meridian5455 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 1st February 2014, 06:05 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed