Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27
Thanks Tree22Thanks

Thread: Air Pollution Worse In Poor, Black Neighborhoods

  1. #21
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,814
    Thanks
    32690

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    Here is what I am seeing at the link:

    The significant cluster has a low poverty rate (11.37%) compared to the poverty rate in the contiguous USA (16.21%), but its rate of African Americans is quite high (17.77%) relative to the corresponding rate in the contiguous USA (9.52%). The secondary cluster has a poverty rate that is similar to the poverty rate in the contiguous USA, but it has a very high rate of African Americans (49.87%).

    (And I see you added that to your post.)

    Now, they are siting one superfund location in Delaware, can we be sure that they have picked areas that will impact race on purpose, across the land?

    Not saying they don't, but I only see one place referenced at the link.

    "More likely to live next to" and "put there intentionally on account of race" are two different things.

    Thx
    It's insidious, though. Who proposed these sites? Who approved them? What are the applications required to reveal? It's (usually) not the case that one evil-minded racist bureaucrat drives the process.

  2. #22
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    22,720
    Thanks
    13785

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    It's insidious, though. Who proposed these sites? Who approved them? What are the applications required to reveal? It's (usually) not the case that one evil-minded racist bureaucrat drives the process.
    These are old hazardous waste sites, the waste itself has designated the area.

    And, who wants to live next to one, certainly not the rich people who can afford to live elsewhere.

    Thx

  3. #23
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,814
    Thanks
    32690

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    These are old hazardous waste sites, the waste itself has designated the area.

    And, who wants to live next to one, certainly not the rich people who can afford to live elsewhere.

    Thx
    They aren't all old. One landfill here is about 2 years old and has been mishandling toxic waste for the entire time.

    In the most desperately poor neighborhood here.

  4. #24
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    22,720
    Thanks
    13785

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    They aren't all old. One landfill here is about 2 years old and has been mishandling toxic waste for the entire time.

    In the most desperately poor neighborhood here.
    Okay, the neighborhood was poor, but do you believe they put it there because of minorities?

    Where else are they going to put it, next to the country club?

    Again, the poor get the sorry end of the stick, and that includes a lot of ethnic minorities.

    I'm not saying they wouldn't designate it to race, I believe some people are capable of anything.

    Thx

  5. #25
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,814
    Thanks
    32690

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    Okay, the neighborhood was poor, but do you believe they put it there because of minorities?

    Where else are they going to put it, next to the country club?

    Again, the poor get the sorry end of the stick, and that includes a lot of ethnic minorities.

    I'm not saying they wouldn't designate it to race, I believe some people are capable of anything.

    Thx
    Which came first, the poverty or the racism? That's impossible to answer. Institutions do not have motives -- people do. But in the permitting process here, no one who was willing to stand up for these residents.

    BTW, the surrounding area is rural. Placing the landfill there could have been safer.

  6. #26
    Veteran Member Kontrary's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    14,009
    Thanks
    12637

    From
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    Here is what I am seeing at the link:

    The significant cluster has a low poverty rate (11.37%) compared to the poverty rate in the contiguous USA (16.21%), but its rate of African Americans is quite high (17.77%) relative to the corresponding rate in the contiguous USA (9.52%). The secondary cluster has a poverty rate that is similar to the poverty rate in the contiguous USA, but it has a very high rate of African Americans (49.87%).

    (And I see you added that to your post.)

    Now, they are siting one superfund location in Delaware, can we be sure that they have picked areas that will impact race on purpose, across the land?

    Not saying they don't, but I only see one place referenced at the link.

    "More likely to live next to" and "put there intentionally on account of race" are two different things.

    Thx
    Yep race plays a larger role, they looked at all superfund sites in the US...they find they exist in higher income areas if the area is predominately non white whereas poor white areas will have very few..its clear. Its the same when it comes to drug use,they test the sanitation water for drugs, they find use is pretty much the same in most areas BUT blacks are arrested and convicted at a rate of 5x whites...but we use the same....thats racism too. Its not down to economics. A poor white will fare worse than a rich white, but even rich blacks are not going to do as well as a poor white....
    Thanks from Madeline

  7. #27
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    13,302
    Thanks
    3267

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post




    https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...-air-pollution

    Where to locate "dirty" businesses is not the only source of harm. Housing stock in poor black communities are many times more likely to contain lead paint, which when disturbed, can release lead particulates into the air. Crumbling streets are neglected, creating dust (among other hazards). Urban forestry programs tend to ignore these areas, removing a huge potential air cleaning asset. Lack of greenspace is more likely to create "heat islands", which magnify the damaging effect of air pollution on humans. Housing in poor, black neighborhoods are less likely to have adequately maintained, modern heating and cooling systems, so the interior spaces of homes offer far less relief from the impacts of air pollution to residents. Highway engineers are more likely to locate freeways and off-ramps near poor, black neighborhoods, bringing constant truck traffic and the exhaust it creates closest to these residences.

    As the EPA never has and likely never will mount any meaningful effort to address these racist injuries, the best possible approach seems to be local activism. Lawsuits don't seem likely to yield great results as the "wrongdoers" are too diffuse, remote and the impact of a single bad actor's decisions are unknowable but obviously not significant. It's the impact of the whole mini-ecosystem.

    Air pollution kills humans, shortens lives, compromises physical health, and causes neurological damage that can lead to higher rates of violent crime. It's not just that poor black kids in any American city have air as polluted as Shanghai, while middle class kids a few miles away have air as pure as a Swiss mountain top (at least indoors). Bear in mind, these residents are already at greater risk of water pollution as occurred in Flint. Obviously, these insults to the human body have a cumulative effect.

    If it's not just, it's not constitutional.

    IMO.

    Your thoughts?
    Ms. Madeline,

    I never realized that so many poor black people lived on Central Park West in Manhattan.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 22nd September 2016, 01:34 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 4th June 2015, 02:48 AM
  3. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 3rd April 2015, 04:15 PM
  4. LAPD disabled recording devices in black neighborhoods
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 9th April 2014, 05:49 PM
  5. Poor Black Community in Chicago Outraged at Obama
    By meridian5455 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 1st February 2014, 06:05 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed