Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
Thanks Tree12Thanks

Thread: White Curator Hired for African Art Exhibit

  1. #1
    Veteran Member John T Ford's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    27,259
    Thanks
    7225

    From
    Great State of Texas

    White Curator Hired for African Art Exhibit

    The Brooklyn Museum has sparked outrage in the black community after tapping a white woman to curate its vast African art collection.

    On Monday the museum appointed Kristen Windmuller-Luna, 31, who has a Ph.D. in African art history from Princeton University, lectures in Columbia University’s department of art history and archaeology, and once worked as an educator for the Metropolitan Museum of Art, where she was “responsible for adult and college gallery tours in the African galleries.”

    Despite the stellar résumé, her hiring left some wondering why a qualified person of color did not get the post.


    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/01...t-exhibit.html

    Another example of where the real racism is coming for these days.

    Do you think there would be outrage if an African American was hired to curate European Art exhibit? Or an Asian currator?

    But, hire a well qualified white woman and all hell breaks lose.

    I think this is a clear example of just how far out of touch some have become in America's black communities.

    Clearly they have lost site of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr's Dream and base everything on the color of one's skin.

  2. #2
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    40,260
    Thanks
    42204

    From
    Nashville, TN
    And this is racism to you?
    Thanks from StanStill

  3. #3
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    36,121
    Thanks
    33547

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by John T Ford View Post
    [I]The Brooklyn Museum has sparked outrage in the black community after tapping a white woman to curate its vast African art collection.

    Meh. It has sparked outrage within a relatively unknown fringe activist group known as Decolonize This Place. I wouldn't equate that with "the black community", any more than I'd equate a protest by the KKK with "the white community".

  4. #4
    Veteran Member John T Ford's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    27,259
    Thanks
    7225

    From
    Great State of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Meh. It has sparked outrage within a relatively unknown fringe activist group known as Decolonize This Place. I wouldn't equate that with "the black community", any more than I'd equate a protest by the KKK with "the white community".
    Nor would I .....

    But, they were by far not the only critics.

    https://twitter.com/brooklynmuseum?r...t-exhibit.html

  5. #5
    Veteran Member John T Ford's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    27,259
    Thanks
    7225

    From
    Great State of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    And this is racism to you?
    Yeah, yeah ...

    We all know people like you think white people can't be discriminated against.

    Heard it all before.

  6. #6
    Ignorance Is Virtue BitterPill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    8,810
    Thanks
    5811

    From
    SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    And this is racism to you?
    Mind you, John T Ford is opposed to racism, and cocaine is recommended for young children.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member carpe diem's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28,789
    Thanks
    2745

    From
    San Diego, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    And this is racism to you?
    Yep - Racism is a two way street. This is something the left cannot comprehend.

  8. #8
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    34,878
    Thanks
    29616

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by John T Ford View Post
    Yeah, yeah ...

    We all know people like you think white people can't be discriminated against.

    Heard it all before.
    Just focusing on your point that this is discrimination against the non-black curator...how is it discrimination?

    Let me put in into this context; how many 'European art exhibits' are there?

    How many African America art exhibits do you figure there are?

    Since there are vastly fewer African American art exhibits would it be the conscious thing to do to seek out one of the few exhibitor curators that is AA?

    No one is saying that white folk can be curators, but should an effort be made to seek out one of the few for such a few positions?

    Is that racist?
    Thanks from Babba

  9. #9
    Veteran Member carpe diem's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28,789
    Thanks
    2745

    From
    San Diego, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    Just focusing on your point that this is discrimination against the non-black curator...how is it discrimination?

    Let me put in into this context; how many 'European art exhibits' are there?

    How many African America art exhibits do you figure there are?

    Since there are vastly fewer African American art exhibits would it be the conscious thing to do to seek out one of the few exhibitor curators that is AA?

    No one is saying that white folk can be curators, but should an effort be made to seek out one of the few for such a few positions?

    Is that racist?
    It's discrimination when you're entire premise is about the color of ones skin...no matter what color that skin is.

  10. #10
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10,111
    Thanks
    10343

    From
    Home
    Quote Originally Posted by John T Ford View Post
    Yeah, yeah ...

    We all know people like you think white people can't be discriminated against.

    Heard it all before.
    Leave it to John T to think that a white woman getting the job is the victim of racism because some obscure activist affinity group took issue with her hiring.

    In John T Land, no one will ever be able to take issue with anything any white person ever does or says, because that would be racism.
    Thanks from OldGaffer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. African Union, African UN envoys demand Trump apology
    By DebateDrone in forum Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13th January 2018, 07:23 AM
  2. African Americans Versus African Immigrants.
    By Two If By Tea in forum Racism
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 3rd October 2014, 08:17 AM
  3. Replies: 836
    Last Post: 21st January 2014, 05:28 PM
  4. Replies: 333
    Last Post: 29th January 2012, 01:44 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14th April 2010, 12:22 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed