Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 72
Thanks Tree61Thanks

Thread: Ex-Trump adviser tells black Fox News guest he's out of his 'cotton-picking mind'.

  1. #41
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    27,444
    Thanks
    6966

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    No, it's archaic. Cotton hasn't been handpicked in more than 100 years.

    As I recall.
    You are incorrect about that.

  2. #42
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,806
    Thanks
    32686

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    sometimes this site is like being in a Twilight Zone episode. Guess it just depends on who you talk to. Payne says he was offended based on his having ancestors that were sharecroppers. The Fox News host apologized to the audience. I didn't know that until seeing it just now on social media.
    I am sorry if you ever feel "In the Twilight Zone" here because you think some of us are tone-deaf to racist speech.

    Sincerely.

  3. #43
    RNG
    RNG is offline
    Senior Member RNG's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    10,990
    Thanks
    6650

    From
    Between everywhere
    I think there have been a whole lot of way, way worse things said and implied by current Republicans. This one shouldn't be registering on the poutrage meter at all, IMO.

  4. #44
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,827
    Thanks
    44417

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I am sorry if you ever feel "In the Twilight Zone" here because you think some of us are tone-deaf to racist speech.

    Sincerely.
    it's a unique experience. Even the Fox News host felt the need to apologize. Saying that the phrase was offensive. On Fox News of all places. Myself, from what I can tell it's a phrase that has southern roots. As far a back as slavery according to who you ask. So, the question is how does a term that refers negatively to slaves picking cotton end up not being inherently racist?

  5. #45
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,827
    Thanks
    44417

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    I think there have been a whole lot of way, way worse things said and implied by current Republicans. This one shouldn't be registering on the poutrage meter at all, IMO.
    meh, it was just some Republican throwing picking cotton up in an African American's face.
    Nothing to see here. And people wonder how some racist fuck like Trump got elected?

  6. #46
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,806
    Thanks
    32686

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    it's a unique experience. Even the Fox News host felt the need to apologize. Saying that the phrase was offensive. On Fox News of all places. Myself, from what I can tell it's a phrase that has southern roots. As far a back as slavery according to who you ask. So, the question is how does a term that refers negatively to slaves picking cotton end up not being inherently racist?
    How? 99% of Southern whites were desperately poor during slavery. Not every bale of cotton was grown on a plantation or picked by a slave.

    Not saying poor whites suffered as much as slaves. And you can be sure, after this thread, I will never again say that phrase to ANYONE.

  7. #47
    RNG
    RNG is offline
    Senior Member RNG's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    10,990
    Thanks
    6650

    From
    Between everywhere
    In my limited exposure to things of the southern US, I have to admit growing up on the Canadian prairies, I was exposed to more stories and references to poor whites picking cotton. But I accept we had zero blacks in our area so my experience may be very geographically limited and thus not particularly valid on a wider scale.

  8. #48
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    27,444
    Thanks
    6966

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    meh, it was just some Republican throwing picking cotton up in an African American's face.
    Nothing to see here. And people wonder how some racist fuck like Trump got elected?
    Hillary is responsible for that.

  9. #49
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    95,510
    Thanks
    73169

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    I heard it quite a bit growing up. Not so much lately.
    Yep. It's definitely been phased out as people became more self aware about the origins behind the words they use. Understandably not cool to say it these days but I'm willing to cut some slack as in the heat of the moment an old phrase could've come out that maybe he didn't think about until after the words left his lips.
    Thanks from Wonderer

  10. #50
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,827
    Thanks
    44417

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller47 View Post
    Hillary is responsible for that.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tom Cotton tells House to "start over" on Trumpcare-
    By GordonGecko in forum Current Events
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 9th March 2017, 09:26 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 4th February 2017, 11:02 AM
  3. Replies: 84
    Last Post: 27th January 2017, 05:19 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th August 2015, 04:20 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11th March 2015, 06:09 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed