View Poll Results: Does The Press Give Obama A Break Because He's Black?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

    12 80.00%
  • Yes.

    3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 205
Thanks Tree19Thanks

Thread: White Guilt.

  1. #1
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    71,033
    Thanks
    35533

    From
    becoming more and more

    White Guilt.

    I just got a little curious from seeing the term "white guilt" being constantly used in online political forums and decide to do some research. Seems it's being used somewhat irresponsibly . Most frequently, I've seen it used rather loosely as a pejorative against liberal whites, who are sensitive to the racism blacks experienced. For example, if a white liberal supports Affirmative Action, they're immediately diagnosed with the affliction of "white guilt". Of course, these days it's used flagrantly as a pseudo-intellectual justification for both of President Obama's elections as well. So imagine my surprise to find this:

    Whether or not someone will experience a white guilt reaction depends on a number of factors, including the strength of that person's racial identity, the source of the potentially guilt-inducing information, and their group's prior actions to help the victimized group (Doosje, Branscombe, Spears, & Manstead, 2006). The magnitude of the white guilt feelings are affected by the significance of the individual's ingroup or racial identity. Ingroup identity tempers the group-based guilt that an individual will experience because of his or her group's transgressions upon another group. Doosje and colleagues used Dutch students' national identity to manipulate group membership while using Indonesians as the focal outgroup. Dutch students with strong ingroup or national identities were less likely to endorse financial compensation to the oppressed outgroup, Indonesians (Doosje et al., 2006).
    The Convoluted Spectrum of White Guilt Reactions: A Review of Emerging Literature

    Odd. I don't see any of the variables usually associated with the onset of white guilt that I typically read in online political forums, or perhaps casually hear in passing being articulated in the right-wing echo chambers. Seems it's not something one catches like the flu, or a cold, merely by being in too close a subconscious proximity to liberal ideas about race. My word, voting for Obama while white doesn't appear to be a symptom either.

    I must say, I'm feeling a little used and abused here. I've debated this with not so few conservatives, who were adamant that the opposite were true. "Why there's no way any white person could have voted for Obama , except "white guilt"," they've insisted.

    How could they be so wrong?
    Last edited by the watchman; 1st February 2013 at 08:16 AM.

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Chief's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    25,063
    Thanks
    5828

    From
    Earth
    It's a strange thing. I don't feel white guilt as if I had taken something from black people... more I feel concern up to anger, at how blacks are treated and portrayed. I think what I have is something that they should have the same access to. (Not saying anything should be given to them, but that on the average, their similar effort should result in a similar achievement.)

    The white guilt concept doesn't make sense to me.

    My two votes for Obama came down to:

    1) First time I thought he was too inexperienced. I would have voted for McCain, but then ended up voting against Sarah Palin.
    2) Next time, I voted for Obama so he could continue his work. I didn't want to bring on Romney and have him spend the next 4 years dismantling everything Obama did and have us in the same place we were 8 years earlier at the end of his first term. I also like Obama more than I dislike him. That said, I probably would have voted for Ron Paul over him to really shake things up if the GOP had made him their candidate. I think we need some radical change and Obama is in bed with the banks unfortunately.

  3. #3
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    71,033
    Thanks
    35533

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    It's a strange thing. I don't feel white guilt as if I had taken something from black people... more I feel concern up to anger, at how blacks are treated and portrayed. I think what I have is something that they should have the same access to. (Not saying anything should be given to them, but that on the average, their similar effort should result in a similar achievement.)

    The white guilt concept doesn't make sense to me.

    My two votes for Obama came down to:

    1) First time I thought he was too inexperienced. I would have voted for McCain, but then ended up voting against Sarah Palin.
    2) Next time, I voted for Obama so he could continue his work. I didn't want to bring on Romney and have him spend the next 4 years dismantling everything Obama did and have us in the same place we were 8 years earlier at the end of his first term. I also like Obama more than I dislike him. That said, I probably would have voted for Ron Paul over him to really shake things up if the GOP had made him their candidate. I think we need some radical change and Obama is in bed with the banks unfortunately.
    Hmmm, you're making me think I should have posted this thread as a poll.

  4. #4
    Bovver Boy Rev. Hellh0und's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    35,966
    Thanks
    3570

    From
    I, Spoiler
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    Hmmm, you're making me think I should have posted this thread as a poll.


    Would you like to add a poll? i think I can do that for you... Let me know.

  5. #5
    Can't Stand Liberals
    Joined
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,763
    Thanks
    201

    From
    RW Country
    I don't feel any guilt, absolutely none. I've done nothing bad against black people, I've always treated them kindly and respectfully just like I would treat any other man. It's a shame though, they can't say the same for me. But yeah I got it by now...it's okay as long as I treat them okay, I mean that is where our focus is, right?

    Seriously, what should I or any other white man feel guilty about?

  6. #6
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    71,033
    Thanks
    35533

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    Would you like to add a poll? i think I can do that for you... Let me know.
    I have to think on it. In the middle of a couple of things right now.

  7. #7
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    71,033
    Thanks
    35533

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by mshzcm View Post
    I don't feel any guilt, absolutely none. I've done nothing bad against black people, I've always treated them kindly and respectfully just like I would treat any other man. It's a shame though, they can't say the same for me. But yeah I got it by now...it's okay as long as I treat them okay, I mean that is where our focus is, right?

    Seriously, what should I or any other white man feel guilty about?
    I don't know. Something to do with "white privilege" and supposedly benefiting from the oppression of people of color.

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Chief's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    25,063
    Thanks
    5828

    From
    Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    I don't know. Something to do with "white privilege" and supposedly benefiting from the oppression of people of color.
    I'd look at it like this. If you could combine all the benefits of being an American into a pie, I don't think I ate anyone else's piece. I ate my own piece, and there are some people that are having a hard time getting their piece, but there really is enough pie for everyone, we just need to fix the system that's providing access to the pie.

    The United States benefited from the enslavement of blacks here, no doubt. It helped make this nation into the power that it is. We all benefit from it today, but there is some inequity that needs to be fixed. With regard to compensation to families with slave ancestors, I think it's impossible. We can go back further and further and we'll find that one group took from another since the beginning of humankind. All we can do is learn from the past, try to fix the present, and not fuck up the future.
    Thanks from mshzcm and Claudius the God

  9. #9
    Can't Stand Liberals
    Joined
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,763
    Thanks
    201

    From
    RW Country
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    I don't know. Something to do with "white privilege" and supposedly benefiting from the oppression of people of color.
    That's pretty funny.

  10. #10
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    27,485
    Thanks
    5145

    From
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    I just got a little curious from seeing the term "white guilt" being constantly used in online political forums and decide to do some research. Seems it's being used somewhat irresponsibly . Most frequently, I've seen it used rather loosely as a pejorative against liberal whites, who are sensitive to the racism blacks experienced. For example, if a white liberal supports Affirmative Action, they're immediately diagnosed with the affliction of "white guilt". Of course, these days it's used flagrantly as a pseudo-intellectual justification for both of President Obama's elections as well. So imagine my surprise to find this:



    The Convoluted Spectrum of White Guilt Reactions: A Review of Emerging Literature

    Odd. I don't see any of the variables usually associated with the onset of white guilt that I typically read in online political forums, or perhaps casually hear in passing being articulated in the right-wing echo chambers. Seems it's not something one catches like the flu, or a cold, merely by being in too close a subconscious proximity to liberal ideas about race. My word, voting for Obama while white doesn't appear to be a symptom either.

    I must say, I'm feeling a little used and abused here. I've debated this with not so few conservatives, who were adamant that the opposite were true. "Why there's no way any white person could have voted for Obama , except "white guilt"," they've insisted.

    How could they be so wrong?
    Snicker, snicker...

    You don't need to be so confused, really. It is a tried and trusted trick of the tricky-dicky racists to try to turn the tricky-dicky screws, to deflect. I feel no white guilt. I only feel love and compassion for my fellow human being.

    But the trolls that love to say and write that stuff do it because they know that their oxygen is slowing getting sucked out of the room by sensible people who will have nothing to do with their ilk.

    I voted for Obama - twice - because the Democratic Party platform is closer to my view of the world than the Republican Party platform. Had Obama been three shades of orange and with an extra ear or nose, I still would have voted for him. Had he been a white guy, but still with the same platform, then I would have voted for him.

    And there are just millions and millions and millions of other white Americans who, like me, have some common sense in their heads and really don't care much for the racism or the race baiting.

    In other words, Watchman, don't let the bastards get you down. Coraggio!
    Thanks from the watchman and Babba

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed