Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 198
Thanks Tree108Thanks

Thread: World Shatters Heat Records in 2016

  1. #1
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,379
    Thanks
    9310

    From
    Home

    World Shatters Heat Records in 2016

    World Shatters Heat Records in 2016

    Last year was the hottest on record by a wide margin, with temperatures creeping close to a ceiling set by almost 200 nations for limiting global warming, the European Union's Copernicus Climate Change Service said on Thursday.

    The data are the first of the New Year to confirm many projections that 2016 will exceed 2015 as the warmest since reliable records began in the 19th century, it said in a report.

    The Arctic was the region showing the sharpest rise in temperatures, while many other areas of the globe, including parts of Africa and Asia, also suffered unusual heat, it said.

    read more...



    I'm just curious if the denialist movement has shape-shifted to the "there's nothing we can do about it" movement yet?
    Thanks from HayJenn, Friday13, Thx1138 and 1 others

  2. #2
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    29,564
    Thanks
    3692

    Most meaningless climate related headline ever seen. Here's the also meaningless copy. There is no scientific information on what the increase would have been if there had been no industrial revolution. It does not account for natural variability and uses estimates "estimated before the Industrial Revolution." What a total load of garbage.

    Global surface temperatures in 2016 averaged 14.8 degrees Celsius (58.64F), or 1.3C (2.3F) higher than estimated before the Industrial Revolution ushered in wide use of fossil fuels, the EU body said.In 2015, almost 200 nations agreed at a summit in Paris to limit global warming to "well below" 2C above pre-industrial times while pursuing efforts to hold the rise to 1.5C as part of a sweeping shift away from fossil fuels towards clean energy.Temperatures last year broke a 2015 record by almost 0.2C (0.36F), Copernicus said, boosted by a build-up of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and by a natural El Nino weather event in the Pacific Ocean, which releases heat to the atmosphere.In February 2016 alone, temperatures were 1.5C above pre-industrial times, the study said. Rising heat is blamed for stoking wildfires, heat waves, droughts, floods and more powerful downpours that disrupt water and food supplies.The U.N.'s World Meteorological Organization (WMO), the main authority on global temperatures, compiles data mainly from two U.S. and one British dataset that will be published in coming weeks. It also uses input from Copernicus.Dick Dee, deputy head of the Copernicus Climate Change Service, said Thursday's data were available quickly because they draw on temperature stations and satellite measurements used to make weather forecasts."They're pretty much in perfect agreement" with the WMO data in areas where measurements overlap, he told Reuters. The other datasets used by the WMO are collected from sources that can take more time to compile, including ships, buoys and balloons.
    Thanks from bmanmcfly

  3. #3
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    30,509
    Thanks
    7853

    From
    TN
    how long have they been keeping the records. 150 years..

    150 out of 4,000,000,000 +
    Thanks from libertariat720

  4. #4
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    30,509
    Thanks
    7853

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    World Shatters Heat Records in 2016

    Last year was the hottest on record by a wide margin, with temperatures creeping close to a ceiling set by almost 200 nations for limiting global warming, the European Union's Copernicus Climate Change Service said on Thursday.

    The data are the first of the New Year to confirm many projections that 2016 will exceed 2015 as the warmest since reliable records began in the 19th century, it said in a report.

    The Arctic was the region showing the sharpest rise in temperatures, while many other areas of the globe, including parts of Africa and Asia, also suffered unusual heat, it said.

    read more...



    I'm just curious if the denialist movement has shape-shifted to the "there's nothing we can do about it" movement yet?
    the Temprature is 1.3 degrees warmer than the LITTLE ICE AGE

  5. #5
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,379
    Thanks
    9310

    From
    Home
    Quote Originally Posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    Most meaningless climate related headline ever seen. Here's the also meaningless copy. There is no scientific information on what the increase would have been if there had been no industrial revolution. It does not account for natural variability and uses estimates "estimated before the Industrial Revolution." What a total load of garbage.
    Your reading comprehension needs some fine tuning (not surprised), although I'm sure you'd just come up with another reason to brush off the results even if you could comprehend them. They aren't estimates from before the industrial revolution, they are estimates of the global climate before the industrial revolution.

  6. #6
    Walking in a Storm! thrilling's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,894
    Thanks
    1814

    From
    usa
    Thanks from Babba and Friday13

  7. #7
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,379
    Thanks
    9310

    From
    Home
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    the Temprature is 1.3 degrees warmer than the LITTLE ICE AGE
    That's your rebuttal? That 1.3 doesn't sound that big? You should probably draft that up and get it published in a scientific journal like the big boys do!
    Thanks from Friday13 and Panzareta

  8. #8
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    30,509
    Thanks
    7853

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    That's your rebuttal? That 1.3 doesn't sound that big? You should probably draft that up and get it published in a scientific journal like the big boys do!
    Why NASA and NOAA already have.

    The Little Ice age ended 1860-1900 according to the source you use.. Global Temps have been recorded starting in 1881..

    Earth to StanStill

    so that 1.3 Degree increase is an expected natural swing in climate when a minor cooling event ends. the climate DECLINED about 1-2 degrees when the earth entered the Little Ice ages when the Mideivel Warming period ended in~1300 AD.
    Thanks from bmanmcfly

  9. #9
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    29,564
    Thanks
    3692

    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    Your reading comprehension needs some fine tuning (not surprised), although I'm sure you'd just come up with another reason to brush off the results even if you could comprehend them. They aren't estimates from before the industrial revolution, they are estimates of the global climate before the industrial revolution.
    It's written as gobbldey**** because the conclusions are so weak. Your respect for nonsense is unwarranted. Making them seem incomprehensible is part of the method.

    You can't have science without a baseline, so what is the baseline?

    1) Here's the baseline

    2) Here's what would have occurred if we had not had an industrial revolution.

    3) Here's what we have.

    4) Here is the difference. That's the part the industrial revolution is responsible for.

    This very simple, logical method is not apparent in this piece.

    If you think not, please show us.

    The giant headline is a dead giveaway. The horribly written explanation is a cover-up of the no science conclusion.

    The "You didn't build that" crowd is being ushered out of town for semantic butchery.

    Give it up.
    Last edited by kmiller1610; 9th January 2017 at 01:22 PM.
    Thanks from bmanmcfly and TNVolunteer73

  10. #10
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    14,649
    Thanks
    2389

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    It is on cue to announce the hottest year in record.

    Most years, the articles link to the data so you can see how the new record represents an increase on the order of 1/100th the margin of error for the collected data.

    Not this year... curious.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trump shatters GOP records with small donors
    By excalibur in forum Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19th September 2016, 02:38 PM
  2. Why the World Will End Surely on 29 July 2016 ? Shocking Facts
    By DemoWhip in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 1st August 2016, 12:37 PM
  3. Will 2016 be the year the Muslim world makes contact?
    By sam I am in forum World Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 2016, 04:31 PM
  4. Replies: 79
    Last Post: 17th February 2013, 11:07 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15th February 2013, 06:12 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed