Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51
Thanks Tree7Thanks

Thread: 7 Earth Like Planets discovered

  1. #21
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    42,596
    Thanks
    12042

    Quote Originally Posted by zaangalewa View Post
    Life is nearly impossible. A calculation "nearly impossible" times "nearly endless possibilities" produces an unknowable result.
    No, the fact we have life here and there are an infinite number of planets out there just like ours makes it nearly impossible for ours to be the only one.

  2. #22
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    42,596
    Thanks
    12042

    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    What gave you that idea. I pointed out there 8 billion sun like stars in our own galaxy. How does those odds indicate no other life forms?
    I was agreeing with you.

  3. #23
    New Member zaangalewa's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    897
    Thanks
    132

    From
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    based on what? We only have one known example.
    Based on mathematics. 0 * oo = without result.

    Examples:

    (1/n)->0
    (n) -> oo
    (1/n*n)=1->1

    (1/n^2)->0
    (n)->oo
    (1/n^2*n)=(1/n)->0

    (1/n)->0
    (n^2)->oo
    (1/n*n^2)=(n)->oo

    => It makes no sense to try to define 0*oo. Specially it makes no sense to try to define 0*oo = Extraterrestrians.

    What you call "rationality" is without substance.

    Last edited by zaangalewa; 26th February 2017 at 04:23 AM.

  4. #24
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    27,181
    Thanks
    23520

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    I was agreeing with you.
    Im slow...

  5. #25
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    27,181
    Thanks
    23520

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by zaangalewa View Post
    Based on mathematics. 0 * oo = without result.
    What kinda math leaves out the example you're connected to? You are a result of positive example.

    Your math should be 100%. Life exists on the one known planet with life producing variables.

  6. #26
    New Member zaangalewa's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    897
    Thanks
    132

    From
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    No, the fact we have life here and there are an infinite number of planets out there just like ours makes it nearly impossible for ours to be the only one.
    What you say here is an interesting form of belief.

    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    What kinda math leaves out the example you're connected to? You are a result of positive example.

    Your math should be 100%. Life exists on the one known planet with life producing variables.
    Because life exists where we are, so life exists here. That's all what you say.

    Last edited by zaangalewa; 26th February 2017 at 04:42 AM.

  7. #27
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    21,762
    Thanks
    18691

    From
    Colorado
    There is an important difference between 'Earth-like' and 'Earth-sized'. This ought to be obvious from the fact that the planet Venus is Earth-sized (it is only SLIGHTLY smaller than Earth), but is not even remotely 'Earth-like'.

    There are seven Earth-SIZED planets in the Trappist system. As of yet, we do not know how many of them are 'Earth-LIKE'. We will undoubtedly know more after the James Webb Telescope (the successor to the Hubble) is launched next year.

  8. #28
    New Member zaangalewa's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    897
    Thanks
    132

    From
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    There is an important difference between 'Earth-like' and 'Earth-sized'. This ought to be obvious from the fact that the planet Venus is Earth-sized (it is only SLIGHTLY smaller than Earth), but is not even remotely 'Earth-like'.

    There are seven Earth-SIZED planets in the Trappist system. As of yet, we do not know how many of them are 'Earth-LIKE'.
    Life forms our planet "Earthlike". Our atmosphere for example is a result of the life on planet earth. Looks like we kill in the moment the living conditions here. Two of the planets of the sun Trappist 1 (e+f) are 100% in the "habitable zone", where water is able to exist in the fluid form. Two others are very near (d+g).

    We will undoubtedly know more after the James Webb Telescope (the successor to the Hubble) is launched next year.
    I hope everyone will write in the future "calculation", "simulation" and/or "illustration" or something like this under pictures, which are not pictures but results of ideas. By the way: Who pays this telescope? Who brings it in the orbit? How to modify or to repair it in the orbit, if necessary to do so?

    Last edited by zaangalewa; 26th February 2017 at 09:35 PM.

  9. #29
    New Member Detective Mike Logan's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    978
    Thanks
    240

    From
    Hertfordshire, UK
    in fairness this is quite a fascinating discovery. we are past the days of just 'hot jupiters' being discovered. we now know that earth-sized planets are very common... and ones that are in the habitable zones as well.

    one interesting aspect I take form this is that there seems to be no correlation between star size and planetary bodies. this is 1/10th the sun and yet it has roughly as many planets as we do... in fact it could have even more.

  10. #30
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    42,596
    Thanks
    12042

    Quote Originally Posted by zaangalewa View Post
    Based on mathematics. 0 * oo = without result.

    Examples:

    (1/n)->0
    (n) -> oo
    (1/n*n)=1->1

    (1/n^2)->0
    (n)->oo
    (1/n^2*n)=(1/n)->0

    (1/n)->0
    (n^2)->oo
    (1/n*n^2)=(n)->oo

    => It makes no sense to try to define 0*oo. Specially it makes no sense to try to define 0*oo = Extraterrestrians.

    What you call "rationality" is without substance.

    I would argue the opposite. If the planet had water and the conditions we do it would be more like impossible for life to not develop. All you need is a couple single celled organisms and a couple billion years and they will be posting on internet forums like you are doing right now. Just because you don't know how that first spark of life got here doesn't mean it is magic, I would use the word inevitable.
    Last edited by Pragmatist; 27th February 2017 at 02:09 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. EARTH is Actually Two Planets
    By Friday13 in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 9th February 2016, 10:57 AM
  2. Have Scientists finally discovered how life on Earth was created?
    By Detective Mike Logan in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12th June 2015, 12:48 AM
  3. do planets X and Y exist??
    By Detective Mike Logan in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26th January 2015, 12:02 PM
  4. are there any Rare Earth Elements that our science hasn't discovered yet??
    By Detective Mike Logan in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 16th October 2014, 11:50 AM
  5. Naming exo-planets
    By Detective Mike Logan in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13th July 2014, 09:42 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed