View Poll Results: What Windows Operating System Do You Have?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows 95

    0 0%
  • Windows 98

    1 2.78%
  • Windows 2000

    1 2.78%
  • Windows ME or Vista

    2 5.56%
  • Windows XP

    4 11.11%
  • Windows 7

    7 19.44%
  • Windows 8

    1 2.78%
  • Windows 8.1

    2 5.56%
  • Windows 10

    22 61.11%
  • I have an APPLE computer

    7 19.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 298
Thanks Tree94Thanks

Thread: Computer Heads-Up!

  1. #231
    THE PUNDIT
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    8,907
    Thanks
    5182

    From
    In Your Heart!

    Exclamation

    @Thx1138 @Tedminator In doing some research I have found the following software that will check on the Spectre and Meltdown security problems. It is free!

    Ashampoo Spectre Meltdown CPU Checker - check your PC for Spectre and Meltdown vulnerability
    Thanks from Thx1138 and Tedminator

  2. #232
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    20,526
    Thanks
    3192

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    These "flaws" were built into the systems. These operate like hardware Trojan horses.

    That's not something that would go untested.

  3. #233
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    26,190
    Thanks
    4934

    Quote Originally Posted by DemoWhip View Post
    There are a host of Anti-Virus software products available today. The important thing is to use a good Anti-Virus product due to current and impending threats. AVG has been listed as one of the good ones and I believe it is also free to obtain. Another one is AVAST that comes highly recommended. I do not use either of them but many others do. If AVG is working good for her then that says enough right there. If not, there are others available to look at. But since she uses Windows 7, be aware that that OS has been the one that has been currently hit the hardest by ransomware. Therefore, extra precautions should be taken such as always being sure that the latest definitions are downloaded and that her system runs a SCAN frequently.

    As for Spybot, that is a long-time product used by many and apparently still going strong. The only thing I've read that some may have some concerns with is that it has become bloated with stuff over time. But again, if it is working and not giving any problems then that could be a keeper!

    Another very good Anti-Spyware product (that is free as well as for purchase) is SUPER ANTI-SPYWARE. It downloads fast and works great! The free version does a very good job though the new definitions have to be manually downloaded but that isn't a biggie. They do keep up with what's a threat out there so expect to find multiple-downloads of new definitions throughout the day. Great Product!
    Is the Windows 7anti virus good? Was looking into the Super Anti Spyware you mentioned. Can multiple anti virus be used? I keep getting a Win32/ Softealion identified as potentially unwanted software.

    Excellent thread.

  4. #234
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    20,526
    Thanks
    3192

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    Is the Windows 7anti virus good? Was looking into the Super Anti Spyware you mentioned. Can multiple anti virus be used? I keep getting a Win32/ Softealion identified as potentially unwanted software.

    Excellent thread.
    Do not use multiple antivirus.

    If you're not sure if your antivirus is working down load one of the virus test strings. (Its a test string whose hash value shows up as a known virus)

  5. #235
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37,834
    Thanks
    35647

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    These "flaws" were built into the systems.
    Yes, they were. These exploits attack a feature of the chip design that was implemented to improve processing speed. The security risk that this feature presented, however, was not by design but due to oversight.

    The black helicopters had nothing to do with it.
    Thanks from Tedminator

  6. #236
    THE PUNDIT
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    8,907
    Thanks
    5182

    From
    In Your Heart!
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    Is the Windows 7anti virus good? Was looking into the Super Anti Spyware you mentioned. Can multiple anti virus be used? I keep getting a Win32/ Softealion identified as potentially unwanted software.

    Excellent thread.
    Thanks! Windows Security Essentials for Windows 7 is an Anti-Virus product that is widely used for that OS. Windows Defender is used for Windows 8.1 and 10. I have not used Security Essentials so cannot opine on that although it is said to be very similar to Windows Defender and very good in action. It is only called by a different name.

    Super AntiSpyware is nothing less than an EXCELLENT product! There is a free version as well as a paid version available. The paid version of course allows real-time work, etc. It has been around for a while and comes well recommended! That is not an Anti-Virus software, however. It does work against Spyware mainly and such intruders and does a great job.

    As for multiple Anti-Virus products being used at the same time, my answer would be no. There would inevitably be some conflict and that could not be good. As a general rule, only ONE Anti-Virus product should be used on a computer. While more than one Anti Spyware products can be used if it is allowed by the particular product(s) you choose to use.

    To read more on Super AntiSpyware which includes download links go to:
    https://superantispyware.com/
    Thanks from Thx1138

  7. #237
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    22,706
    Thanks
    13777

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoWhip View Post
    Thanks! Windows Security Essentials for Windows 7 is an Anti-Virus product that is widely used for that OS. Windows Defender is used for Windows 8.1 and 10. I have not used Security Essentials so cannot opine on that although it is said to be very similar to Windows Defender and very good in action. It is only called by a different name.

    Super AntiSpyware is nothing less than an EXCELLENT product!

    There is a free version as well as a paid version available. The paid version of course allows real-time work, etc. It has been around for a while and comes well recommended! That is not an Anti-Virus software, however. It does work against Spyware mainly and such intruders and does a great job.

    As for multiple Anti-Virus products being used at the same time, my answer would be no. There would inevitably be some conflict and that could not be good. As a general rule, only ONE Anti-Virus product should be used on a computer. While more than one Anti Spyware products can be used if it is allowed by the particular product(s) you choose to use.

    To read more on Super AntiSpyware which includes download links go to:
    https://superantispyware.com/
    That's what I use, have used the free version for more than 5 years now.

    Thx
    Thanks from DemoWhip

  8. #238
    THE PUNDIT
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    8,907
    Thanks
    5182

    From
    In Your Heart!
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoWhip View Post
    Thanks! Windows Security Essentials for Windows 7 is an Anti-Virus product that is widely used for that OS. Windows Defender is used for Windows 8.1 and 10. I have not used Security Essentials so cannot opine on that although it is said to be very similar to Windows Defender and very good in action. It is only called by a different name.

    Super AntiSpyware is nothing less than an EXCELLENT product! There is a free version as well as a paid version available. The paid version of course allows real-time work, etc. It has been around for a while and comes well recommended! That is not an Anti-Virus software, however. It does work against Spyware mainly and such intruders and does a great job.

    As for multiple Anti-Virus products being used at the same time, my answer would be no. There would inevitably be some conflict and that could not be good. As a general rule, only ONE Anti-Virus product should be used on a computer. While more than one Anti Spyware products can be used if it is allowed by the particular product(s) you choose to use.

    To read more on Super AntiSpyware which includes download links go to:
    https://superantispyware.com/
    I just wanted to add that in both Windows Defender and especially Super AntiSpyware one has to check pretty often for updates. Super AntiSpyware has new definitions coming throughout the day that you must be aware of and if you are using the free version you need to check back very often as more than likely when you do there is an update ready for your downloading.

  9. #239
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    20,526
    Thanks
    3192

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Yes, they were. These exploits attack a feature of the chip design that was implemented to improve processing speed. The security risk that this feature presented, however, was not by design but due to oversight.

    The black helicopters had nothing to do with it.
    That excuse doesn't cut it...

    It was an "accident" by the chip makers that a flaw in the system could be used to access the information from the device., they just wanted to make this faster.

    Is playing dumb on the extent of tracking and data collection REALLY going to serve you?

  10. #240
    THE PUNDIT
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    8,907
    Thanks
    5182

    From
    In Your Heart!

    Exclamation Windows Users Targeted by Fake Meltdown and Spectre Update

    Windows Users Targeted by Fake Meltdown and Spectre Update
    By Bogdan Popa

    "Security company Malwarebytes warns that the fake patch is mostly aimed at German users, but it can easily be modified to go after English-speaking users as well."
    "Spreading as an exe file called Intel-AMD-SecurityPatch-10-1-v1, the fake Meltdown and Spectre update deploys Smoke Loader on a compromised host. Smoke Loader is a form of malware that opens the door to more payloads which can be then used for a variety of purposes, including stealing credentials and other sensitive data."



    ================================================== ==

    This is an ALERT to heed Just In Case!

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Need Computer help
    By DebateDrone in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16th December 2016, 09:41 AM
  2. computer q
    By justonemorevoice in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28th October 2010, 06:00 AM
  3. Computer question
    By Gypsy in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27th March 2010, 11:20 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed