View Poll Results: What Windows Operating System Do You Have?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows 95

    0 0%
  • Windows 98

    0 0%
  • Windows 2000

    0 0%
  • Windows ME or Vista

    1 5.88%
  • Windows XP

    0 0%
  • Windows 7

    2 11.76%
  • Windows 8

    0 0%
  • Windows 8.1

    0 0%
  • Windows 10

    9 52.94%
  • I have an APPLE computer

    5 29.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 112
Thanks Tree28Thanks

Thread: Computer Heads-Up!

  1. #1
    Pundit DemoWhip's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,399
    Thanks
    3219

    From
    In Your Heart!

    Exclamation Computer Heads-Up!

    Greetings ALL!

    I am introducing my new pinned thread entitled "Computer Heads-up!" that is designed to relay important information concerning the computer world. Such information will include computer threats, ransomware news, malware, viruses, software, security, legislation that could have an impact upon your rights to use your computer as well as other items.

    All are most welcome to share in this thread with your knowledge of computers and/or your questions about computers and impending/imminent threats, etc. We all need to keep informed so that we can all be given a "heads-up" as to what may be happening that could affect one of our most treasured possessions -- our computers, laptops and tablets.


    ***************************************

    New Worm Uses Seven NSA Tools, Five More than WannaCry

    By Gabriela Vatu

    "The world thought WannaCry was the worst thing to happen to computer security, but that's far from the truth given what security researchers just found out - namely a new worm spreading via SMB using seven NSA tools instead of the two leveraged by WannaCry."
    "At this point in time, EternalRocks isn't that dangerous. It could, however, become a high threat if the attackers decide to weaponize the worm with ransomware, trojans, or anything else. It seems that this is just a matter of when, not if."
    "To prevent this malware from taking full control, it's important that you configure your network to prevent TOR network communications. Most Next-Generation firewalls are capable of being configured to block TOR. Network Security Policy Management (NSPM) is a great way to quickly audit your next-generation firewalls to assess if TOR is accessible and more importantly being used which may indicate EternalRocks is already on your machines," he added."

  2. #2
    Pundit DemoWhip's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,399
    Thanks
    3219

    From
    In Your Heart!
    I want to extend a Special Thanks to Djinn and the CMs for their help and review of this new thread. Thanks again!

  3. #3
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    49,231
    Thanks
    2700

    From
    Washington state
    I have heard of these problems with viruses from my son that's a computer tech. I have been using Apple computers for the last 4 years so not sure if I need extra protection or not. I heard Windows 10 is the most secure at this time. I have worked on Windows computers some and have given one of my friends one of old Dell towers with Windows 7. I have AVG for scanning for virus protections and Spybot S&D for Adware detection. I haven't been up on Windows for over 3 years, so further information would be appreciated to stay protected
    Thanks from DemoWhip

  4. #4
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    63,175
    Thanks
    43495

    From
    So. Md.
    I have to say, I was dreading having to get a Windows 10 computer, but it is a very secure machine. I'm VERY impressed.

    And I have to compliment Google. I have a couple of Gmail accounts and yesterday morning I immediately got notification that someone in Chicago had obtained my password for one of my accounts and I was able to change it in the snap of your fingers. Things are very different from just a couple of years ago.
    Thanks from DemoWhip

  5. #5
    Junior Member fenrir's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,285
    Thanks
    226

    From
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    I have to say, I was dreading having to get a Windows 10 computer, but it is a very secure machine. I'm VERY impressed.

    And I have to compliment Google. I have a couple of Gmail accounts and yesterday morning I immediately got notification that someone in Chicago had obtained my password for one of my accounts and I was able to change it in the snap of your fingers. Things are very different from just a couple of years ago.
    I've been told apple has little to no problems with viruses. Is this true because I'm sick of them.
    Thanks from DemoWhip

  6. #6
    Pundit DemoWhip's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,399
    Thanks
    3219

    From
    In Your Heart!
    Quote Originally Posted by fenrir View Post
    I've been told apple has little to no problems with viruses. Is this true because I'm sick of them.
    Hi fenrir! Welcome to our computer section!

    To answer your question, there is this good website.

    Do Apple Macs get viruses?
    https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000737.htm

  7. #7
    Pundit DemoWhip's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,399
    Thanks
    3219

    From
    In Your Heart!
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    I have to say, I was dreading having to get a Windows 10 computer, but it is a very secure machine. I'm VERY impressed.

    And I have to compliment Google. I have a couple of Gmail accounts and yesterday morning I immediately got notification that someone in Chicago had obtained my password for one of my accounts and I was able to change it in the snap of your fingers. Things are very different from just a couple of years ago.
    That's good to know! Glad you were contacted about that to give you the opportunity to protect your computer and email client.

    Let me ask you this. Since you now have Windows 10, there has been talk that it contains some spyware. Have you noticed any difference in anything or were you aware of that?

  8. #8
    Pundit DemoWhip's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,399
    Thanks
    3219

    From
    In Your Heart!
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    I have heard of these problems with viruses from my son that's a computer tech. I have been using Apple computers for the last 4 years so not sure if I need extra protection or not. I heard Windows 10 is the most secure at this time. I have worked on Windows computers some and have given one of my friends one of old Dell towers with Windows 7. I have AVG for scanning for virus protections and Spybot S&D for Adware detection. I haven't been up on Windows for over 3 years, so further information would be appreciated to stay protected
    Are you thinking of going back to Windows or do you intend to stay with Apple? I ask because you say you have been using Apple for 4 years but would like information on Windows. There certainly is information! What area, specifically, would you like to know about?

  9. #9
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    49,231
    Thanks
    2700

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by fenrir View Post
    I've been told apple has little to no problems with viruses. Is this true because I'm sick of them.
    I have had Apple computers and Iphones for over 5 years and had zero problems with virus's. I will never go back to windows again where I had many problems, that cost me many dollars to get fixed. Apple computers cost more, but if you want your sanity back highly recommend them. They are so well made even a used one works good. i have one 10 year old Macbook with a SSD drive that is still going strong. My IMac the same way. 10 years old with a new SSD makes them very fast and secure. I put adware on my apple for protection, but probably didn't even need that.
    Thanks from ptif219

  10. #10
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    49,231
    Thanks
    2700

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoWhip View Post
    Are you thinking of going back to Windows or do you intend to stay with Apple? I ask because you say you have been using Apple for 4 years but would like information on Windows. There certainly is information! What area, specifically, would you like to know about?
    My wife still uses a Windows 7 computer. Just wondering if AVG and spybot are enough to keep them secure at this point? What do you recommend ?

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Need Computer help
    By DebateDrone in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16th December 2016, 09:41 AM
  2. computer q
    By justonemorevoice in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28th October 2010, 06:00 AM
  3. Computer question
    By Gypsy in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27th March 2010, 11:20 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed