Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45
Thanks Tree15Thanks

Thread: Extinction is not a dirty word

  1. #1
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,568
    Thanks
    416

    From
    Australia

    Extinction is not a dirty word

    Without extinction none of us would exist. It is essential to the evolution and continuation of life.

    More than 99 percent of all species, amounting to over five billion species, that ever lived on Earth are estimated to be extinct. Estimates on the number of Earth's current species range from 10 million to 14 million, of which about 1.2 million have been documented and over 86 percent have not yet been described.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+....0.5EADb3u3ei8

    5 billion divided by 14 million = about 357, which means 357 other groups of 14 million species have gone extinct.

    So just how important is the Furbish lousewort?

  2. #2
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,568
    Thanks
    416

    From
    Australia


    Pedicularis furbishiae (Furbish's lousewort) is a perennial herb found only on the shores of the upper Saint John River in Maine and New Brunswick.

    It is considered an endangered species in the United States and Canada.

    The Dickey-Lincoln dam, a $227 million hydroelectric project proposed on the upper Saint John River in 1974, was shut down by Congress in 1986 after years of study, because the dam would have flooded 88,000 acres of Maine forest and severely reduced the lousewort's habitat. Some criticized ending the dam project to protect the lousewort. Time magazine called the idea "downright silly" in 1977. While thought extinct at the time the dam was proposed, it was rediscovered in 1976 by C.D. Richards while doing surveys to determine the environmental impact of the dam.

    https://topics.revolvy.com/topic/Ped...tem_type=topic

    This is what environmentalists have been doing since the 70’s. Shutting down dams around the world by scrounging up examples of some forgettable species that was probably on its way to extinction, and using them as an excuse to shut down major projects such as dams, vital to towns and cities. They did the same thing in Australia many times.

    When you consider the fact that more than 99 percent of all species, amounting to over five billion species, that ever lived on Earth are estimated to be extinct, and out of the current 14 million species we have, over 86 percent have not even yet been described, can anybody tell me what big a deal it was to shut down this dam for the sake of a crappy plant they already thought was extinct?

    As Time magazine said at the time, it was ‘downright silly’.

  3. #3
    Veteran Member PACE's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    21,759
    Thanks
    18491

    From
    None of your business
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Larrikin View Post
    Without extinction none of us would exist. It is essential to the evolution and continuation of life.

    More than 99 percent of all species, amounting to over five billion species, that ever lived on Earth are estimated to be extinct. Estimates on the number of Earth's current species range from 10 million to 14 million, of which about 1.2 million have been documented and over 86 percent have not yet been described.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+....0.5EADb3u3ei8

    5 billion divided by 14 million = about 357, which means 357 other groups of 14 million species have gone extinct.

    So just how important is the Furbish lousewort?
    Read "Collapse" and you'll understand why your argument is invalid

    'Collapse': How the World Ends - The New York Times
    Thanks from Babba, Panzareta and Blueneck

  4. #4
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,568
    Thanks
    416

    From
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by PACE View Post
    Read "Collapse" and you'll understand why your argument is invalid

    'Collapse': How the World Ends - The New York Times
    Diamond is a very left winged professor who the Left love. I would disagree with about 85% of everything he says. He talks about human disastrous decisions but I can assure you, it would be one hell of a stretch to say that losing the Furbish's lousewort would be a 'disastrous decision'.

    Show me the disaster this would entail.

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Panzareta's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    29,869
    Thanks
    17837

    From
    On a happy trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Larrikin View Post
    Diamond is a very left winged professor who the Left love. I would disagree with about 85% of everything he says. He talks about human disastrous decisions but I can assure you, it would be one hell of a stretch to say that losing the Furbish's lousewort would be a 'disastrous decision'.

    Show me the disaster this would entail.
    So if it's not a disaster in the short term then it doesn't count? Why does it always have to be an extreme with you?

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    98,430
    Thanks
    5225

    From
    Vancouver
    To my knowledge, all of The US, Canada and Australia have power.

    So I’m guessing cancelling the dam wasn’t really the end of the world either.

    I’ve lived in Asia and seen places where there were no environmentalist movements permitted in the 70s and 80s.

    They are nasty, filthy, soulless, dystopian shit holes. The people have extreme rates of cancer, skin disease, lung disease, they age so quickly they look 60 at 40.

    I think anyone spouting about “leftist liberal leftists in the left environmentalists” should go spend a few days there.

    Get some life experience.

  7. #7
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,568
    Thanks
    416

    From
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Knuckles View Post
    To my knowledge, all of The US, Canada and Australia have power.

    So I’m guessing cancelling the dam wasn’t really the end of the world either.

    I’ve lived in Asia and seen places where there were no environmentalist movements permitted in the 70s and 80s.

    They are nasty, filthy, soulless, dystopian shit holes. The people have extreme rates of cancer, skin disease, lung disease, they age so quickly they look 60 at 40.

    I think anyone spouting about “leftist liberal leftists in the left environmentalists” should go spend a few days there.

    Get some life experience.
    Dams in Australia and America aren't shit holes. You'll need to visit some 1st world nations next time.

  8. #8
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    31,258
    Thanks
    26426

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Larrikin View Post
    Diamond is a very left winged professor who the Left love. I would disagree with about 85% of everything he says. He talks about human disastrous decisions but I can assure you, it would be one hell of a stretch to say that losing the Furbish's lousewort would be a 'disastrous decision'.

    Show me the disaster this would entail.
    You remind me of the kind of people that hung out a window of a moving train and blasted as many American Bison as humanly possible.

    That kind of people.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    98,430
    Thanks
    5225

    From
    Vancouver
    Shouting “leftist buffalo on the left are leftist socialists” with each blast.

  10. #10
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,232
    Thanks
    9136

    From
    Home
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Larrikin View Post
    Without extinction none of us would exist. It is essential to the evolution and continuation of life.

    More than 99 percent of all species, amounting to over five billion species, that ever lived on Earth are estimated to be extinct. Estimates on the number of Earth's current species range from 10 million to 14 million, of which about 1.2 million have been documented and over 86 percent have not yet been described.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+....0.5EADb3u3ei8

    5 billion divided by 14 million = about 357, which means 357 other groups of 14 million species have gone extinct.

    So just how important is the Furbish lousewort?
    So do you think it is fair to say that because in the history of conservation, perhaps this one example was overboard, (no explanation of why it was overboard other than perhaps it has a funny name and no one has heard of it—neither of which are relevant) that conservation is silly? Why was the hydroelectric damn so important?

    Seems like you've cherry picked the most curious anecdote, and used it as a paint color that you will cover everything with. Really bad form, Rob.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 6th July 2017, 07:02 AM
  2. Replies: 97
    Last Post: 26th October 2014, 05:54 PM
  3. Greed is not a dirty word
    By Rob Larrikin in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 13th July 2014, 04:57 PM
  4. The NEW Dirty Word
    By vikingbeast in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15th September 2013, 02:23 PM
  5. When Did Moderate Become A Political Dirty Word?
    By boontito in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 11th July 2012, 10:03 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed