Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
Thanks Tree6Thanks

Thread: Saudi Arabia is the first country to grant citizenship to a robot.

  1. #11
    spɹɐʍʞɔɐq ʞɹɐp ǝɥʇ Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    17,685
    Thanks
    7219

    From
    i'm not real===
    I'm extremely worried about how robots will be treated. There will be an enormous effort here and abroad to regard these beings as non-human and they will be subjected to deplorable working conditions and extreme acts of cruelty.

    There are enough impoverished and neglected humans -- why do we need robots?

  2. #12
    RNG
    RNG is offline
    Moderator RNG's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    9,967
    Thanks
    5559

    From
    Between everywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    I don't get it. The citizenship part.
    My guess is that it is an inventive way of generating publicity for Saudi's effort to diversify their economy and reduce their dependence on the sale of oil. One area they want to develop is AI and tech in general.

  3. #13
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    33,728
    Thanks
    7000

    From
    A Month Away
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Do they even have voting or juries in Saudi Arabia?
    Not sure, but if this is the first robot granted citizenship, will there be more? In other countries that do have juries.

  4. #14
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    60,671
    Thanks
    11092

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    I'm extremely worried about how robots will be treated. There will be an enormous effort here and abroad to regard these beings as non-human and they will be subjected to deplorable working conditions and extreme acts of cruelty.

    There are enough impoverished and neglected humans -- why do we need robots?
    There will come a time when the debate will have to be had on whether robots are alive or not.

    Do they or do the not have rights?

    We aren't there yet but we will be one day, probably in our lifetimes.

  5. #15
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    33,728
    Thanks
    7000

    From
    A Month Away
    Voting Robots could be a serious concern. Can you imagine a mayor who was a robot? If the robots vote, why not? Now, they couldn't become President or a member of Congress just yet. They'd have to change that age thing.

  6. #16
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    32,732
    Thanks
    27701

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Does she have to wear a burka when she goes outside? Serious question. It is an exciting development but citizenship bears a lot of responsibilities. Will she vote? Can she serve on a jury? Is she responsible for her actions if she breaks a law? Can she be sued?
    Why would a robot be subject to theological standards? Do robots have souls?

    Do cars in SA have to wear burkas?

  7. #17
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    32,732
    Thanks
    27701

    From
    SWUSA
    Saudi Arabia grants a box of rocks ..."citizenship".

    All Saudis cheer with glee.

  8. #18
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    53,022
    Thanks
    25394

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    There will come a time when the debate will have to be had on whether robots are alive or not.

    Do they or do the not have rights?

    We aren't there yet but we will be one day, probably in our lifetimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Voting Robots could be a serious concern. Can you imagine a mayor who was a robot? If the robots vote, why not? Now, they couldn't become President or a member of Congress just yet. They'd have to change that age thing.
    Isaac Asimov wrote short stories addressing both of these - "The Bicentennial Man" for whether robots are alive or not; and both "Evidence" and "The Evitable Conflict" for a robot mayor and World Coordinator. The first story is contained in the collection The Bicentennial Man and Other Stories. The other two are contained in the collection I, Robot.

  9. #19
    spɹɐʍʞɔɐq ʞɹɐp ǝɥʇ Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    17,685
    Thanks
    7219

    From
    i'm not real===
    I want a robot who will kill on my comand. I will then force him to plead guilty to murder and even testify against him in court.

  10. #20
    spɹɐʍʞɔɐq ʞɹɐp ǝɥʇ Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    17,685
    Thanks
    7219

    From
    i'm not real===
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Isaac Asimov wrote short stories addressing both of these - "The Bicentennial Man" for whether robots are alive or not; and both "Evidence" and "The Evitable Conflict" for a robot mayor and World Coordinator. The first story is contained in the collection The Bicentennial Man and Other Stories. The other two are contained in the collection I, Robot.
    I learned about robots from "Lost In Space."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Saudi Arabia, looking for lobbyists
    By PACE in forum Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 3rd April 2016, 04:13 PM
  2. Only in Saudi Arabia!
    By BruceTLaney in forum World Politics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 26th December 2014, 05:38 AM
  3. We should liberate Saudi Arabia
    By Solace in forum Warfare
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 24th February 2011, 11:30 AM
  4. Saudi Arabia down on Valintines Day
    By joebobkc in forum World Politics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 15th February 2008, 08:25 AM
  5. Saudi Arabia
    By The Last Cathedral in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 4th July 2007, 03:41 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed