Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
Thanks Tree35Thanks

Thread: Good food cooked by a robot?

  1. #1
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    36,999
    Thanks
    7570

    From
    Shady Dale, Georgia

    Good food cooked by a robot?

    There's Flippy who can make burgers and now there's this invention that can make a variety of dishes. Customers order from a kiosk, and the robot cooks the meals. Is this our future? Will there be far fewer people working in the food service industry? Would you try a restaurant like this one?


  2. #2
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,421
    Thanks
    31193

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Is this our future? Will there be far fewer people working in the food service industry? Would you try a restaurant like this one?
    Yes to all (though the last would have to be kosher, for me). As with another thread, this is working into a sort of Star Trek thing. Though ST had "replicators" involving reconstituted matter, the economic principle is roughly the same - automatic preparation of food with fewer people working in food service. Of course, tech people would be required to keep the equipment going, and so some people would still be in the industry, just not as food preparers.
    Thanks from Southern Dad

  3. #3
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    26,479
    Thanks
    6720

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Yes to all (though the last would have to be kosher, for me). As with another thread, this is working into a sort of Star Trek thing. Though ST had "replicators" involving reconstituted matter, the economic principle is roughly the same - automatic preparation of food with fewer people working in food service. Of course, tech people would be required to keep the equipment going, and so some people would still be in the industry, just not as food preparers.
    Agree, I would, too.

    Robots are cleaner, more accurate with proper ingredients, more precise with quantities, and less likely to touch your food while sick/coughing.

    And, it won't spit in your food.

    People are pigs.
    Thanks from Southern Dad

  4. #4
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,421
    Thanks
    31193

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller47 View Post
    Robots are cleaner, more accurate with proper ingredients...
    And can probably get the order accurate, too. Many food service workers - especially in fast food - just are not paying attention.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  5. #5
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    26,479
    Thanks
    6720

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    And can probably get the order accurate, too. Many food service workers - especially in fast food - just are not paying attention.
    Yeah, like everything else, lots of them pay more attention to their phones while at work, than their work.
    Thanks from Southern Dad

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    36,999
    Thanks
    7570

    From
    Shady Dale, Georgia
    This restaurant is now open. Orders and payment are taken by the kiosk. Food is prepared by the machine. Then quality checked and handed to the patron by an employee.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    69,255
    Thanks
    33522

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    There's Flippy who can make burgers and now there's this invention that can make a variety of dishes. Customers order from a kiosk, and the robot cooks the meals. Is this our future? Will there be far fewer people working in the food service industry? Would you try a restaurant like this one?

    Nope, would not set foot in one.

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,207
    Thanks
    32245

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Yes to all (though the last would have to be kosher, for me). As with another thread, this is working into a sort of Star Trek thing. Though ST had "replicators" involving reconstituted matter, the economic principle is roughly the same - automatic preparation of food with fewer people working in food service. Of course, tech people would be required to keep the equipment going, and so some people would still be in the industry, just not as food preparers.
    But how? Cooking is a complex task, much moreso as to gourmet food. Even without taste, the robot would still need to adjust to the ripeness of ingredients, differences in sizes, etc.

    How would anyone write programming that complex?
    Thanks from Babba

  9. #9
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    45,326
    Thanks
    27428

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    But how? Cooking is a complex task, much moreso as to gourmet food. Even without taste, the robot would still need to adjust to the ripeness of ingredients, differences in sizes, etc.
    There can still be people just way fewer. One or two humans can select the food and inspect it, then pass it off to be cut, prepared and cook. Our local McDonalds have all cut their staff in half using kiosks for all ordering.
    Thanks from Madeline and Babba

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,207
    Thanks
    32245

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    There can still be people just way fewer. One or two humans can select the food and inspect it, then pass it off to be cut, prepared and cook. Our local McDonalds have all cut their staff in half using kiosks for all ordering.
    Sure, I can see that for mass quantities of fast food. But not for fine dining.
    Thanks from Babba

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Putin's grandpa cooked for Stalin (and Lenin too)!
    By The Man in forum World Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11th March 2018, 11:25 PM
  2. Exclusive: 50 Spies Say ISIS Intelligence Was Cooked.
    By roberthughey in forum Current Events
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11th September 2015, 09:49 AM
  3. Uh oh.. Catty Carly may be Cooked
    By BoiseBo in forum Current Events
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 18th August 2015, 05:12 PM
  4. The GOP's goose, post-shut-down, is really, really cooked.
    By bonncaruso in forum Current Events
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 22nd October 2013, 03:41 PM
  5. Replies: 146
    Last Post: 7th September 2013, 12:12 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed