Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42
Thanks Tree44Thanks

Thread: Did Alexa send out their private conversations?

  1. #31
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    36,492
    Thanks
    32180

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    Amazon has that covered... The default "wake word" is "Alexa." However, you can easily change it to "Amazon," "Echo" or "Computer."

    Could be worse, think about it...


    Link
    I once had a college student whose name caused me to do a double take when I first saw it on my roster. Her full name was this: April May June. Her parents must have had a fine sense of humor.
    Thanks from Friday13

  2. #32
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    46,970
    Thanks
    31268

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    I once had a college student whose name caused me to do a double take when I first saw it on my roster. Her full name was this: April May June. Her parents must have had a fine sense of humor.
    Poor kid. For the parents, it's a spur of the moment joke. For the kid, it's potentially for a lifetime. Probably mentioned this before, but in high school, I had a friend named Mike Nuckols. Nothing too unusual about his name. But his grandparents were messed up. Mike's father is "Harry Nuckols," and his uncle was named "Claude Nuckols."

  3. #33
    Rent Free in Lefty Heads excalibur's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    12,049
    Thanks
    3772

    From
    The Milky Way
    Tell me again why we need these devices.

  4. #34
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    46,970
    Thanks
    31268

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by excalibur View Post
    Tell me again why we need these devices.
    No one needs them, but they are convenient. Same goes for in-sink garbage disposals, and remote-controlled garage doors.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  5. #35
    Rent Free in Lefty Heads excalibur's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    12,049
    Thanks
    3772

    From
    The Milky Way
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    No one needs them, but they are convenient. Same goes for in-sink garbage disposals, and remote-controlled garage doors.


    Garbage disposals are dumb, waste water as well.

    Auto garage door is great, especially in inclement weather.

    No one needs these other silly devices, convenient for what? Sheesh. They all contain microphones, are connected to the internet. Duh.

  6. #36
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    46,970
    Thanks
    31268

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by excalibur View Post
    Garbage disposals are dumb, waste water as well.
    Auto garage door is great, especially in inclement weather.
    No one needs these other silly devices, convenient for what? Sheesh. They all contain microphones, are connected to the internet. Duh.
    Got a smartphone?

  7. #37
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,609
    Thanks
    34210

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    I once had a college student whose name caused me to do a double take when I first saw it on my roster. Her full name was this: April May June. Her parents must have had a fine sense of humor.
    Reminds me of Catch-22 (both the book and the movie), which had a character named Major Major Major. Naturally, as soon as he enlisted in the Army, he was immediately promoted to Major. (Played by Bob Newhart in the 1970 film.)
    Thanks from Friday13 and BigLeRoy

  8. #38
    Above the FRAY Friday13's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,917
    Thanks
    16168

    From
    SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    I would imagine both should be optional. I think they will straighten it out eventually, though I am not sure how.

    I think it cool that you can activate it by saying "Computer!" though ... just like Star Trek. If I recall the original, though, you had to activate the computer manually before you could talk to it - unlike TNG, where you could just shout it out to activate a conversation.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey and BigLeRoy

  9. #39
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,609
    Thanks
    34210

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday13 View Post
    LOL! And that was a 1980s computer, too...
    Thanks from Friday13

  10. #40
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,609
    Thanks
    34210

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Reminds me of Catch-22 (both the book and the movie), which had a character named Major Major Major. Naturally, as soon as he enlisted in the Army, he was immediately promoted to Major. (Played by Bob Newhart in the 1970 film.)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 85
    Last Post: 4th March 2018, 04:37 PM
  2. Is 'Alexa' Partisan Much?
    By Pureinheart in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24th November 2017, 01:35 PM
  3. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 14th January 2014, 09:23 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed