Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 48 of 48
Thanks Tree26Thanks

Thread: Reunion Of Chimpanzee With Foster Parents

  1. #41
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,818
    Thanks
    32697

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Did you know that the Russians have quite recently domesticated foxes, Madeline? You can now buy a very cute domesticated fox for somewhere in the range of $5000 to $9000, if you should so desire.

    Do you think the Russians were WRONG to do that?
    I know about this. People do this here with skunks and raccoons, too.

    I don't know enough to say it's abusive to the animal. But these are not animals that have the capacity to kill a human.

  2. #42
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    39,028
    Thanks
    37265

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I know about this. People do this here with skunks and raccoons, too.

    I don't know enough to say it's abusive to the animal. But these are not animals that have the capacity to kill a human.

    Pet dogs kill humans on a fairly regular basis.
    Thanks from Madeline and BigLeRoy

  3. #43
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    56,818
    Thanks
    32697

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Pet dogs kill humans on a fairly regular basis.
    Correct! That was poorly written.

    A parakeet might kill a baby, but this is not the kind of risk I worry about.

    (I still can't figure out how to say what I mean better!)

  4. #44
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    39,028
    Thanks
    37265

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Correct! That was poorly written.

    A parakeet might kill a baby, but this is not the kind of risk I worry about.

    (I still can't figure out how to say what I mean better!)

    I'd probably say that we live in a modern, urbanized society for the most part these days, and therefore, perhaps our wild animal domestication skills should be set aside in the interest of the overall safety of the community.

  5. #45
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    35,205
    Thanks
    30662

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I know about this. People do this here with skunks and raccoons, too.

    I don't know enough to say it's abusive to the animal. But these are not animals that have the capacity to kill a human.
    We do NOT have fully domesticated skunks or raccoons yet, and I don't think we're even close in the case of either animal. For an animal to be truly domesticated means that it has undergone a fairly complex suite of genetic changes. This has now been done with foxes. The Russians have fully domesticated foxes. They started this some forty years ago as an experiment to understand more about the process by which dogs became domesticated, by the way----it began as a scientific investigation into the process of domestication itself. And we have learned a lot from it.

  6. #46
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    35,205
    Thanks
    30662

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    I'd probably say that we live in a modern, urbanized society for the most part these days, and therefore, perhaps our wild animal domestication skills should be set aside in the interest of the overall safety of the community.
    Not sure I agree with this. I think it would be a fine thing if we continue our efforts at domestication. For example, there have been attempts to domesticate the musk ox of the far north. Could this be done, it would provide a fine source of meat for northern peoples. I think it's fine if people would want to make a concerted effort at domesticating the raccoon. Down through the ages, people have TAMED individual raccoons, but there has never been any sort of organized effort to domesticate raccoons, such as the Russians have done with foxes. I think that would be interesting. There are other potential domesticates out there. On the other hand, some animals are known to be more or less 'immune' to domestication. The zebra, for example. Gazelles, for another. In fact, I think most kinds of antelope are considered impossible to domesticate.

  7. #47
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    39,028
    Thanks
    37265

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Not sure I agree with this. I think it would be a fine thing if we continue our efforts at domestication. For example, there have been attempts to domesticate the musk ox of the far north. Could this be done, it would provide a fine source of meat for northern peoples. I think it's fine if people would want to make a concerted effort at domesticating the raccoon. Down through the ages, people have TAMED individual raccoons, but there has never been any sort of organized effort to domesticate raccoons, such as the Russians have done with foxes. I think that would be interesting. There are other potential domesticates out there. On the other hand, some animals are known to be more or less 'immune' to domestication. The zebra, for example. Gazelles, for another. In fact, I think most kinds of antelope are considered impossible to domesticate.

    Well, I wasn't necessarily agreeing with Madeline's viewpoint. I was merely offering an opinion for how she might best argue her case.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  8. #48
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    35,205
    Thanks
    30662

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Well, I wasn't necessarily agreeing with Madeline's viewpoint. I was merely offering an opinion for how she might best argue her case.
    People who worry too much about "the overall safety of the community" might put Landrew in charge of everything. You know what Captain Kirk thought of that society.
    Thanks from NightSwimmer

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Similar Threads

  1. Raise Prestige of Foster Parents
    By sky writer in forum Current Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17th April 2015, 12:28 PM
  2. Racist parents lose foster children
    By The Man in forum Racism
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2nd December 2012, 09:22 PM
  3. Racist parents lose foster children
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29th November 2012, 01:49 AM
  4. Foster parents made boy stay in box
    By Mrs Behavin in forum Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19th January 2006, 12:46 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed