Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 420
Thanks Tree46Thanks

Thread: F-35 Where do we go from here?

  1. #401
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    18,899
    Thanks
    5261

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Yep I remember that.

    The difference here is that Russia and China have planes that can, on paper, match the F-35.

    Makes you wonder if it was worth the cost.

    We don't know yet.
    "worth the cost"?

    Good point.

    One of the reasons that our weapons cost so much is the very extensive testing in real world conditions.

    I think the guys and gals driving those tanks, and flying those planes would agree that it's "worth the cost" for them to be operating the very best weapons systems that money can buy.

  2. #402
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    20,460
    Thanks
    3994

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Yep I remember that.

    The difference here is that Russia and China have planes that can, on paper, match the F-35.

    Makes you wonder if it was worth the cost.

    We don't know yet.
    How we would do against a first rate power is an unknown (I hope it stays that way) our battles against Iraq and Afghanistan were not a true test.

  3. #403
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    54,880
    Thanks
    10023

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    How we would do against a first rate power is an unknown (I hope it stays that way) our battles against Iraq and Afghanistan were not a true test.
    20 years ago I would have said no problem but today I don't know.

    I know for a fact we can control the Sea but anything else......other nations have certainly stepped it up.

    Hell, China developed a missile to specifically take out our carriers. That's its only purpose.

  4. #404
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    20,460
    Thanks
    3994

    The F35 has been good for Lockheed, whether it will be good for the rest of us is still an unknown. So much conflicting information about this airplane. Some think it's awesome , some say hell no. Mountains of issues to overcome.

  5. #405
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    54,880
    Thanks
    10023

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    The F35 has been good for Lockheed, whether it will be good for the rest of us is still an unknown. So much conflicting information about this airplane. Some think it's awesome , some say hell no. Mountains of issues to overcome.
    Regardless, we are stuck with it now.

    I think as a standoff weapon it will work fine but I think up close it will get smoked.

  6. #406
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    20,460
    Thanks
    3994

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Regardless, we are stuck with it now.

    I think as a standoff weapon it will work fine but I think up close it will get smoked.
    That likely sums it up.

  7. #407
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    20,460
    Thanks
    3994

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSIzWFxznvM Tailhook 2017 Symposium - Update on F-35C testing from LM test pilot

    Sounds like continuous improvements are being worked out.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApgPWpx0Msw
    Tailhook 2017 Symposium - USMC / USN panel talks about F-35B and F-35C progress

    Last edited by THOR; 12th September 2017 at 06:20 AM.

  8. #408
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    20,460
    Thanks
    3994

    Been trying to find out if the internal 25mm cannon is functional on the F35a (Air Force) and it sounds like the B & C model need a under belly pod. Bye Bye steath. Sounds like the software is still not developed on the A model to use in combat. Pretty sad. Some reports suggest it will be functional by 2017. Is it functional for combat?

    F 35b (Marine version) needs a pod with only 220 rounds. So much for ground support. Navy version also needs an external pod. Not impressed.
    Last edited by THOR; 18th September 2017 at 06:00 PM.

  9. #409
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    53,353
    Thanks
    18972

    From
    america
    It is a very different kind of fighter. The F-35 will likely engage other aircraft and targets before they even see it on radar.

    That said, it is awfully expensive, and, I don't know why we can't develop a BAD ASS fighter jet, without all the extra bells and whistles.

    Keep making F-35's, but create more of a new generation of sleek, lower budget fighter aircraft.

    We should do the same with our Tanks. The Abrams is a BEAST, but...we should develop a smaller, faster tank. (Although, most of our Armored Vehicles can pass for light tanks. They may be at a disadvantage up against the latest Main Battle Tanks, in the world, but, they can still do some damage...)

  10. #410
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    18,899
    Thanks
    5261

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    Been trying to find out if the internal 25mm cannon is functional on the F35a (Air Force) and it sounds like the B & C model need a under belly pod. Bye Bye steath. Sounds like the software is still not developed on the A model to use in combat. Pretty sad. Some reports suggest it will be functional by 2017. Is it functional for combat?

    F 35b (Marine version) needs a pod with only 220 rounds. So much for ground support. Navy version also needs an external pod. Not impressed.
    It's deja-vu all over again.

    When the F-4 came out it was joint service just like the F-35.

    It did not have an internal gun because air to air missiles was the future.

    F-4's also had gun pods hung on the underside of the plane.

    Of course, stealth was not a concern back then...

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed