Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
Thanks Tree8Thanks

Thread: Day-to-day life in Vietnam

  1. #1
    Senior Member Bourne's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    11,404
    Thanks
    5436

    From
    NE Wisconsin

    Day-to-day life in Vietnam

    Greetings:

    I served with 2/7th Cavalry, the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile) in Vietnam from 1968 to 1971. I returned to CONUS as an E-6.

    If you have any serious questions about life in Vietnam during the war and as a trooper I'd be honored to answer them.

    Cheers,

    Bourne
    Thanks from Friday13 and Panzareta

  2. #2
    Veteran Member PACE's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    17,568
    Thanks
    15161

    From
    None of your business
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
    Greetings:

    I served with 2/7th Cavalry, the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile) in Vietnam from 1968 to 1971. I returned to CONUS as an E-6.

    If you have any serious questions about life in Vietnam during the war and as a trooper I'd be honored to answer them.

    Cheers,

    Bourne
    How are you?
    Thanks from Friday13

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    28,470
    Thanks
    6194

    From
    Walking the Fine Line
    Back in the early 90's, a drill sergeant in my unit asked me if I'd take a vacation with him to go visit Vietnam. We spent a week in country going places that tourists do not go. I think that he just needed closure. He was also 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). The first place we went was Qui Nhon. I remember that he said that was where his nightmare began. He did not have fond memories of his time there. He served three or four tours, his name was Beason. After we returned, I found out that he had been diagnosed with lung cancer. He passed shortly after the trip. I believe that Vietnam haunted him for three decades. An odd thing about him was that he was in the 1st Cav in '65 when they first went to Vietnam and he was in the 1st Cav in '72 when the war ended.
    Thanks from Bourne

  4. #4
    Junior Member Claudius the God's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,430
    Thanks
    650

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Back in the early 90's, a drill sergeant in my unit asked me if I'd take a vacation with him to go visit Vietnam. We spent a week in country going places that tourists do not go. I think that he just needed closure. He was also 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). The first place we went was Qui Nhon. I remember that he said that was where his nightmare began. He did not have fond memories of his time there. He served three or four tours, his name was Beason. After we returned, I found out that he had been diagnosed with lung cancer. He passed shortly after the trip. I believe that Vietnam haunted him for three decades. An odd thing about him was that he was in the 1st Cav in '65 when they first went to Vietnam and he was in the 1st Cav in '72 when the war ended.
    If you like reading, I suggest two incredible books about Nam. The first is called Matterhorn. It is about the war from a soldiers point of view and is semi-autobiographical. Marlantes writes with clarity and pain. The second one I just finished, its called "The Sympathizer". It too writes about the war but mostly the end of the war and what it was like from the locals point of view. It covers the post-nam era from the viewpoint of a refugee in Los Angeles. It is a remarkable book.
    Thanks from Southern Dad and Engine-Ear

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8,149
    Thanks
    2296

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
    Greetings:

    I served with 2/7th Cavalry, the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile) in Vietnam from 1968 to 1971. I returned to CONUS as an E-6.

    If you have any serious questions about life in Vietnam during the war and as a trooper I'd be honored to answer them.

    Cheers,

    Bourne
    Mr. Bourne,

    Why is it pronounced Pha when it is clearly spelled Pho?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Bourne's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    11,404
    Thanks
    5436

    From
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Mr. Bourne,

    Why is it pronounced Pha when it is clearly spelled Pho?
    It's the language. Where I now live we just had a restaurant open called Saigon Pho but it's pronounced Saigon Pha.

    Xin Loi!

    Cheers,

    Bourne

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bourne's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    11,404
    Thanks
    5436

    From
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by PACE View Post
    How are you?
    I'm fine, thank you. Every day, when I shave, I see a wide scar on my left upper chest where I was treated for a wound. That's my reminder of the war. But I get past it.

    Cheers,

    Bourne
    Thanks from PACE

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Isalexi's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    29,894
    Thanks
    18896

    From
    Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
    Greetings:

    I served with 2/7th Cavalry, the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile) in Vietnam from 1968 to 1971. I returned to CONUS as an E-6.

    If you have any serious questions about life in Vietnam during the war and as a trooper I'd be honored to answer them.

    Cheers,

    Bourne
    Have you been back there. We went to Vietnam about four years ago and it was one of the most fascinating trips I have ever taken. There were several men who had served there and my husband who had signed up to serve there after they asked him to re-up to run the river boats Fortunately they didn't accept his terms.....and he didn't serve there.
    Last edited by Isalexi; 19th April 2017 at 11:29 AM.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Isalexi's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    29,894
    Thanks
    18896

    From
    Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Back in the early 90's, a drill sergeant in my unit asked me if I'd take a vacation with him to go visit Vietnam. We spent a week in country going places that tourists do not go. I think that he just needed closure. He was also 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). The first place we went was Qui Nhon. I remember that he said that was where his nightmare began. He did not have fond memories of his time there. He served three or four tours, his name was Beason. After we returned, I found out that he had been diagnosed with lung cancer. He passed shortly after the trip. I believe that Vietnam haunted him for three decades. An odd thing about him was that he was in the 1st Cav in '65 when they first went to Vietnam and he was in the 1st Cav in '72 when the war ended.
    We went a few years ago and we took boats down the Delta and one of the scariest things I ever did was crawl through the cuchi tunnels....there were many vets on our tour.
    I remember seeing a United States tank that was destroyed and people were taking pictures in front of it and my husband really got upset about it...

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    28,470
    Thanks
    6194

    From
    Walking the Fine Line
    Quote Originally Posted by Isalexi View Post
    We went a few years ago and we took boats down the Delta and one of the scariest things I ever did was crawl through the cuchi tunnels....there were many vets on our tour.
    I remember seeing the United States tank that was destroyed and people were taking pictures in front of it and my husband really got upset about it
    We stopped at the remains of a U.S. Army Jeep. A rusting hull of a vehicle. One of the roughest drill sergeants that I ever met on this planet seemed to have a tear in his eye when we got back in the car to move on. It could have just been some dust in his eye. Most of the country had changed, which was expected but there were a few places that were really easy for him to recognize.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 86
    Last Post: 29th January 2017, 01:50 PM
  2. Vietnam in HD
    By TennesseeRain in forum Warfare
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 29th January 2015, 09:11 AM
  3. Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life -
    By Jaya Jagannath in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 9th December 2013, 04:50 AM
  4. Atheist life versus religous life.
    By Zarathustra in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 160
    Last Post: 6th November 2007, 06:11 AM
  5. Death Penalty or Life in Jail? This is for your life
    By TenGig in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 13th June 2007, 08:31 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed