Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62
Thanks Tree13Thanks

Thread: Looks Like the M-16 and SAW Are on the Way Out

  1. #1
    The Covfefe are Coming! BitterPill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6,815
    Thanks
    4503

    From
    SoCal

    Looks Like the M-16 and SAW Are on the Way Out

    .
    New rifle, bigger bullets: Inside the Army's plan to ditch the M4 and 5.56

    After carrying the M16 or one of its cousins across the globe for more than half a century, soldiers could get a peek at a new prototype assault rifle that fires a larger round by 2020.

    Army researchers are testing half a dozen ammunition variants in “intermediate calibers,” which falls between the current 7.62 mm and 5.56 mm rounds, to create a new light machine gun and inform the next-generation individual assault rifle/round combo.

    The weapon designs being tested will be “unconventional,” officials said, and likely not one that is currently commercially available.

    I'd say it's about time.

    https://www.armytimes.com/articles/n...the-m4-and-556

  2. #2
    Established Member
    Joined
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    7,336
    Thanks
    1269

    From
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterPill View Post
    .
    New rifle, bigger bullets: Inside the Army's plan to ditch the M4 and 5.56

    After carrying the M16 or one of its cousins across the globe for more than half a century, soldiers could get a peek at a new prototype assault rifle that fires a larger round by 2020.

    Army researchers are testing half a dozen ammunition variants in “intermediate calibers,” which falls between the current 7.62 mm and 5.56 mm rounds, to create a new light machine gun and inform the next-generation individual assault rifle/round combo.

    The weapon designs being tested will be “unconventional,” officials said, and likely not one that is currently commercially available.

    I'd say it's about time.

    https://www.armytimes.com/articles/n...the-m4-and-556
    The 7mm-08 would be a good choice. Short action and light recoil like the 5.56, but much better ballistics. It is .308 (7.62mm) brass necked down for a 7mm bullet.

  3. #3
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    20,460
    Thanks
    3994

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    The 7mm-08 would be a good choice. Short action and light recoil like the 5.56, but much better ballistics. It is .308 (7.62mm) brass necked down for a 7mm bullet.
    6.8 SPC Fits AR mags, increased power and knock down and it's already here but who knows what they will come up with. No doubt expensive.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Pq4_XdA-k
    U.S. Machine Gun Armory’s M249 SAW In 6.8 SPC

    Last edited by THOR; 16th May 2017 at 11:40 AM.

  4. #4
    olguy OlGuy's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,829
    Thanks
    359

    From
    california
    They wanted a round that would have further reach for desert or open terrain scenarios so why wait so long, jungle warfare has been over since the seventies.

  5. #5
    Member Robert Urbanek's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,945
    Thanks
    1275

    From
    Vacaville, CA
    From the linked article:

    “Our next investment will likely be in a new operating platform,” Bohannon said.

    Operating platform? Maybe the Pentagon should ask Apple, Microsoft or Elon Musk to design the new gun.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    29,131
    Thanks
    7546

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterPill View Post
    .



    New rifle, bigger bullets: Inside the Army's plan to ditch the M4 and 5.56

    After carrying the M16 or one of its cousins across the globe for more than half a century, soldiers could get a peek at a new prototype assault rifle that fires a larger round by 2020.

    Army researchers are testing half a dozen ammunition variants in “intermediate calibers,” which falls between the current 7.62 mm and 5.56 mm rounds, to create a new light machine gun and inform the next-generation individual assault rifle/round combo.

    The weapon designs being tested will be “unconventional,” officials said, and likely not one that is currently commercially available.

    I'd say it's about time.

    https://www.armytimes.com/articles/n...the-m4-and-556
    It appears the military is going to a more lethal personal weapons.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    29,131
    Thanks
    7546

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Urbanek View Post
    From the linked article:

    “Our next investment will likely be in a new operating platform,” Bohannon said.

    Operating platform? Maybe the Pentagon should ask Apple, Microsoft or Elon Musk to design the new gun.
    Maybe they are already involved in the making of the gun.

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    64,248
    Thanks
    29918

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterPill View Post
    .
    New rifle, bigger bullets: Inside the Army's plan to ditch the M4 and 5.56

    After carrying the M16 or one of its cousins across the globe for more than half a century, soldiers could get a peek at a new prototype assault rifle that fires a larger round by 2020.

    Army researchers are testing half a dozen ammunition variants in “intermediate calibers,” which falls between the current 7.62 mm and 5.56 mm rounds, to create a new light machine gun and inform the next-generation individual assault rifle/round combo.

    The weapon designs being tested will be “unconventional,” officials said, and likely not one that is currently commercially available.

    I'd say it's about time.

    https://www.armytimes.com/articles/n...the-m4-and-556
    Why don't we just buy a shit-load of AK-47's from our new pal Putin?
    The M-14 I was issued by the Marines in 1968 was a 7.62mm round and it worked just fine.
    Thanks from Dragonfly5

  9. #9
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    35,726
    Thanks
    37830

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Why don't we just buy a shit-load of AK-47's from our new pal Putin?
    The M-14 I was issued by the Marines in 1968 was a 7.62mm round and it worked just fine.
    I liked my M14, much better than the M1 I had in ROTC. Lots of M1 "thumbs'
    Thanks from Dragonfly5

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    64,248
    Thanks
    29918

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    I liked my M14, much better than the M1 I had in ROTC. Lots of M1 "thumbs'
    An M-14 was.is not much more than an M-1 with a 20 round external magazine instead of an 8 round internal clip.
    You could leave the M-14 magazine in position and load it with stripper clips just like the M-1. But, as you mention, "M-1 thumb."

    I LOVED the M-14.
    Last edited by Hollywood; 16th May 2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo
    Thanks from Dragonfly5 and namvet69

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed