Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 73
Thanks Tree48Thanks

Thread: Canada and Australia

  1. #31
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    64,253
    Thanks
    29923

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    I missed the part where Australia stormed Normandy beach?

    They had 3 years......what the hell were they doing?

    Oh yeah, waiting for us.
    It's no longer funny or cute kid. Just knock it off. Stupidity is only funny for so long.
    Thanks from OldGaffer

  2. #32
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    54,956
    Thanks
    10028

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo2 View Post
    I am neither an Australian nor a Canadian by nationality, and I don't believe in 'internet tough guy' talk. But if you said that face to face with an Aussie or a Canadian - particularly an ex-serviceman, you would have need of a brush and pan - to pick your teeth up off the carpet. They, together with the rest of the Commonwealth, fought and died for nearly three years before you 'showed up'. And you did not voluntarily join the fray - Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, and Hitler declared war on the USA - you had little choice in the matter.

    This is not to deny the sacrifices of so many Americans who fought bravely and well in the European and Pacific theatres, nor to demean the bravery of the US naval forces which assisted in protecting the convoys across the Atlantic, nor indeed to minimise the sacrifice of the seven US nationals who risked their citizenship to enrol as Canadians in the RAF during the Battle of Britain. Bravery knows no national boundaries, but it is pure mean spiritedness which denies the achievements and sacrifices of others.
    So what did they change with their three years of fighting other than getting a lot of their people killed?

    Did they push Japan or Germany back?

    Did they invade Italy?

    What exactly did they accomplish in three years?

    What did we do in our first year of entering the war?

  3. #33
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    64,253
    Thanks
    29923

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    They obviously didn't make any difference or we wouldn't have needed to show up.

    So basically they were irrelevant, glad they saw some action though.

  4. #34
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    54,956
    Thanks
    10028

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Just simple facts dude.

    Its not about the soldiers who I am sure were all very brave, its about their national policies that didn't make an iota of difference.

    Its like they weren't even trying to change anything.

  5. #35
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    64,253
    Thanks
    29923

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    So what did they change with their three years of fighting other than getting a lot of their people killed?

    Did they push Japan or Germany back?

    Did they invade Italy?

    What exactly did they accomplish in three years?

    What did we do in our first year of entering the war?

  6. #36
    Vexatious Correspondent Leo2's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,219
    Thanks
    2730

    From
    UK/Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Knuckles View Post
    I wouldn't hand him his teeth if he said it face to face. I'd take him to the War museum.

    Edit: but I'm not a vet.
    That would be the sensible alternative, but I doubt people who are so insensible to reality would take any notice of the material evidence.

    Lol, as an aside, and apropos of nothing, a 'vet' in our society is the term used for a veterinarian. We would only use the term 'veteran' in the military sense for a specific campaign (as in Veteran of the Tobruk Campaign). We tend to use the term ex-serviceman or returned soldier. They are also often known as Chelsea Pensioners in the UK, but it is always 'veteran' and never just 'vet'.

  7. #37
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    64,253
    Thanks
    29923

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Just simple facts dude.

    Its not about the soldiers who I am sure were all very brave, its about their national policies that didn't make an iota of difference.

    Its like they weren't even trying to change anything.

  8. #38
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    35,727
    Thanks
    37832

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo2 View Post
    I am neither an Australian nor a Canadian by nationality, and I don't believe in 'internet tough guy' talk. But if you said that face to face with an Aussie or a Canadian - particularly an ex-serviceman, you would have need of a brush and pan - to pick your teeth up off the carpet. They, together with the rest of the Commonwealth, fought and died for nearly three years before you 'showed up'. And you did not voluntarily join the fray - Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, and Hitler declared war on the USA - you had little choice in the matter.

    This is not to deny the sacrifices of so many Americans who fought bravely and well in the European and Pacific theatres, nor to demean the bravery of the US naval forces which assisted in protecting the convoys across the Atlantic, nor indeed to minimise the sacrifice of the seven US nationals who risked their citizenship to enrol as Canadians in the RAF during the Battle of Britain. Bravery knows no national boundaries, but it is pure mean spiritedness which denies the achievements and sacrifices of others.
    Spooky has plenty of mean spiritedness to go around....
    Thanks from Hollywood

  9. #39
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    54,956
    Thanks
    10028

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo2 View Post
    That would be the sensible alternative, but I doubt people who are so insensible to reality would take any notice of the material evidence.

    Lol, as an aside, and apropos of nothing, a 'vet' in our society is the term used for a veterinarian. We would only use the term 'veteran' in the military sense for a specific campaign (as in Veteran of the Tobruk Campaign). We tend to use the term ex-serviceman or returned soldier. They are also often known as Chelsea Pensioners in the UK, but it is always 'veteran' and never just 'vet'.
    Not rocket science here.

    Tell us what Canada or Australia did that changed the war before we entered it.

    Were they invading western Europe?

    Were they taking islands back from the Japanese?

    What were their great accomplishments in three years of fighting?

  10. #40
    Vexatious Correspondent Leo2's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,219
    Thanks
    2730

    From
    UK/Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Just simple facts dude.

    Its not about the soldiers who I am sure were all very brave, its about their national policies that didn't make an iota of difference.

    Its like they weren't even trying to change anything.
    I find it hard to believe that an adult from a developed nation knows so little history.

    The Australians and Canadians were a significant part of the British and Commonwealth forces which amongst other important war aims - won the Battle of Britain (perhaps the most important battle of the 20th century) without which victory there would have been no counter-invasion of Europe. They also secured the Middle eastern oil fields by defeating Rommel's armoured forces, thus forcing Hitler to look to Russia for that important resource. By early 1942, the Germans were desperately short of the materials necessary to conducting modern warfare - in principal, oil and steel. Have you any idea of the outcome of the conflict, had Britain fallen to the Nazis, and Mongomery been unable to stop the Panzers in the Middle East? And have you any idea how isolated the USA would have become with the fall of Britain and her Commonwealth? With Fortress Europe theirs, they would have started on South America, where they already enjoyed much sympathy, and worked their way up.
    Thanks from Hollywood

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 68
    Last Post: 19th August 2013, 01:24 AM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 5th July 2011, 04:58 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10th May 2010, 11:42 AM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 19th April 2010, 05:05 PM
  5. Replies: 97
    Last Post: 18th July 2008, 11:05 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed