Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37
Thanks Tree13Thanks

Thread: Ukraine to attack Crimea with drones???

  1. #31
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    24,284
    Thanks
    4057

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Umm... There were pretty much no tanks there, actually.

    Just infantry on Tigers (Humvees), for the most part



    They quickly took over the airport

    and secured various government buildings


    and blocked off Ukrainian military and security forces in their bases

    and that was that.

    Some also did patrol the streets, for awhile, to ensure public order and such, until the whole government transition and all; and plenty of pro-Russian locals came to take pics with them and such, many carrying Russian flags


    Some even found the time to go shopping, while they were there



    All very quick and peaceful, actually. Even surprised the hell out of me. But, again, Crimea always was very, very pro-Russia. And there were plenty of locals among the Ukrainian forces there, who had no wish to fight either their own people or the Russians, whom many of them saw as comrades and brothers. Hell, many officers in Ukrainian military in Crimea were intermarried or otherwise related with officers in the Russian Black Sea Fleet over there...

    And, also, reportedly, Russian intel did a lot of work there, possibly all the way since at least 2008, since the war with Georgia, to maintain and intensify those pro-Russian sentiments, to use them when the time finally came...
    You may find this link informative.

    http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrSb...b_PC1xLNcTP8w-

    It talks about the massing of Russian tanks at Crimea. And you seldom have infantry without tanks.

    Putin invaded and then annexed Crimea. There was nothing peaceful about it.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 15th January 2018 at 01:15 PM.

  2. #32
    The Un-Holy One The Man's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    35,691
    Thanks
    20647

    From
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    You may find this link informative.

    http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrSb...b_PC1xLNcTP8w-

    It talks about the massing of Russian tanks at Crimea. And you seldom have infantry without tanks.

    Putin invaded and then annexed Crimea. There was nothing peaceful about it.
    Wrong link, dude, that one talks about California sheriffs opposing the "sanctuary state" law...

    Anyway, I am pretty sure there was very little use of armor there.

    There was one time, when Russian troops and local militia used a BTR (heavy APC) to break through the gates of a Ukrainian air base, which had been holding out a long time, refusing Russian orders to vacate the premises and leave Crimea like all other Ukrainian personnel (except those who wanted to stay and become Russian citizens and serve Russia instead)

    After they busted the gate and disarmed the guards, the air base, Balbek, surrendered quickly enough, again, without bloodshed...

    That's pretty much the only use of armor in that whole brouhaha, that I can think of...

  3. #33
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    24,284
    Thanks
    4057

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Wrong link, dude, that one talks about California sheriffs opposing the "sanctuary state" law...

    Anyway, I am pretty sure there was very little use of armor there.

    There was one time, when Russian troops and local militia used a BTR (heavy APC) to break through the gates of a Ukrainian air base, which had been holding out a long time, refusing Russian orders to vacate the premises and leave Crimea like all other Ukrainian personnel (except those who wanted to stay and become Russian citizens and serve Russia instead)

    After they busted the gate and disarmed the guards, the air base, Balbek, surrendered quickly enough, again, without bloodshed...

    That's pretty much the only use of armor in that whole brouhaha, that I can think of...
    lol...

    My bad.

    Here it is:

    https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0SO...P4.Gb4q4g_tC4-

    My information is that more than 5,400 people have died since the conflict began. So there's been significant bloodshed.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 15th January 2018 at 04:29 PM.
    Thanks from The Man

  4. #34
    The Un-Holy One The Man's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    35,691
    Thanks
    20647

    From
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    lol...

    My bad.

    Here it is:

    https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0SO...P4.Gb4q4g_tC4-

    My information is that more than 5,400 people have died since the conflict began. So there's been significant bloodshed.
    More than 10,000 actually. At least. And that includes about 3,000 each of Ukrainian government troops and pro-Kiev militiamen; and separatist fighters and about 500 regular Russian troops also. Nobody knows actually how many civilians. I have seen estimates of up to 50,000 at one point...

    That's all in Donbass though, NOT Crimea. Separate conflict.

    As for your article, it's from 2016. Two years AFTER the crisis

    I believe they "massed" hardware on the border in response to guys in Kiev making threats against Crimea and holding military drills also near the border.

  5. #35
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    24,284
    Thanks
    4057

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    More than 10,000 actually. At least. And that includes about 3,000 each of Ukrainian government troops and pro-Kiev militiamen; and separatist fighters and about 500 regular Russian troops also. Nobody knows actually how many civilians. I have seen estimates of up to 50,000 at one point...

    That's all in Donbass though, NOT Crimea. Separate conflict.

    As for your article, it's from 2016. Two years AFTER the crisis

    I believe they "massed" hardware on the border in response to guys in Kiev making threats against Crimea and holding military drills also near the border.
    That crisis is still going on today. So it's an on-going crisis.

    Here is a link that was published in 2014 with pictures of Russian tanks:

    http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...d_QhEN9tmwHk4-

  6. #36
    The Un-Holy One The Man's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    35,691
    Thanks
    20647

    From
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    That crisis is still going on today. So it's an on-going crisis.

    Here is a link that was published in 2014 with pictures of Russian tanks:

    http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...d_QhEN9tmwHk4-
    That's in Belgorod. Again, that's about DONBASS. We are talking CRIMEA. They did not use tanks in CRIMEA, that's what I'm saying.

    Donbass is a whole separate issue.

    Donbass, Russia piped a whole shitload of weapons in there, built the separatists up from rag tag militias

    into a competent military force




    That's, again, a separate conflict. In CRIMEA, specifically, nobody died. Except, like, one guy: Ukraine officer 'killed in attack on Crimea base' - BBC News

  7. #37
    The Un-Holy One The Man's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    35,691
    Thanks
    20647

    From
    Toronto
    @Jeremy

    Interesting Crimea 2014 pic I found. Ukrainian officer shaking hands with Russian counterparts, before his whole unit surrendered

    That's basically how it went there, back then. In Crimea, almost nobody wanted to fight.

    Donbass, again, is a separate issue.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. Ukraine planned counterattack in Crimea in 2014
    By The Man in forum World Politics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17th April 2017, 08:37 AM
  2. Trump mumbles incoherently on Crimea, Ukraine
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 31st July 2016, 11:57 AM
  3. Why Ukraine doesn't want Crimea back...
    By The Man in forum Europe & Russia
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 8th October 2015, 02:05 AM
  4. Ukraine Navy decimated after Crimea
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th May 2015, 04:43 PM
  5. Is East Ukraine about to follow Crimea?
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12th April 2014, 07:49 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed