Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
Thanks Tree9Thanks

Thread: Students to replace defense contractors?

  1. #11
    Member Robert Urbanek's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,341
    Thanks
    1416

    From
    Vacaville, CA
    In the drone defense challenge, I could conceive of a situation in which bright students compete against each other, creating both better and better measures and countermeasures in the contest between drone penetration and drone deterrence. Finally, a student who thinks he has found a foolproof measure to counter drone defenses begins to think, “Why am I doing all this work for free?” He keeps the idea to himself and sells it on the Dark Web, payment in Bitcoins.

  2. #12
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48,714
    Thanks
    34567

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Urbanek View Post
    Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield, CA is asking local high school students to solve three real-world challenges: design a remotely-monitored runway lighting system, a system to keep drones out of controlled airspace, and a self-driving bus for use on the base.

    I wonder what kind of security clearance, if any, the students need to participate in these projects, which will be conducted May 18 on the sprawling air base.

    If they are successful, maybe high school students can take on other security challenges, e.g, disarming N. Korea’s nuclear arsenal.

    Source: County students, Travis AFB to team up for problem-solving exercise
    My Grandson was inventing award winning Robots in High School.

    What is wrong with taking advantage of brilliant High School students who grew up with the latest technology?

    Your post is so old think.

  3. #13
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48,714
    Thanks
    34567

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller47 View Post
    Some of the Air Force troops stationed there are only a year or two older, and not much more mature.

    Lots of our G.I.'s are under 20 years old.
    Well,finally I agree with you.

    What is the distrust of young, brilliant students in the more mature? Many 18 year olds fight our wars.

  4. #14
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48,714
    Thanks
    34567

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Urbanek View Post
    FYI: Non-military people need a security clearance before they can visit patients at David Grant Medical Center, which is located on the air base.
    How do you know whether these students do not have security clearance. I am sure there is a process.

    Does the Military give clearance to every Soldire they induct?

  5. #15
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    35,375
    Thanks
    30075

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by LT Greenbean View Post
    If it's a military project of any kind, believe there's a level of classification. Especially when it comes to creating something. If you'd like, I can give you my background in a direct message to help support what I'm saying. If not, feel free to not believe me.
    You don't seem to understand. The Air Force is asking young minds to figure out how to solve tasks. They are not using defense contractor as their engineering would cost millions.

    If I were to try to solve the problem of drones in restricted air-space, I wouldn't need to have a security clearance, no need to go on base or any secure site, or use any classified information to make my drone stopper device.

    That is what the AF is looking for ...help from people that have the geek know-how to solve these problems.
    Thanks from MaryAnne

  6. #16
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48,714
    Thanks
    34567

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    You don't seem to understand. The Air Force is asking young minds to figure out how to solve tasks. They are not using defense contractor as their engineering would cost millions.

    If I were to try to solve the problem of drones in restricted air-space, I wouldn't need to have a security clearance, no need to go on base or any secure site, or use any classified information to make my drone stopper device.

    That is what the AF is looking for ...help from people that have the geek know-how to solve these problems.
    Quite possible they are co- opping. They have College in High School now Assciates Degree. A neighbors Grandson had his at 14. Now attending Wright State. Can not drive yet.

    My Son worked on the 3 Mile Island project years ago. That is how he earned his first patent. They were repairing Three Mile.
    Last edited by MaryAnne; 17th January 2018 at 04:14 AM.

  7. #17
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    35,375
    Thanks
    30075

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    Quite possible they are co- opping. They have College in High School now Assciates Degree. A neighbors Grandson had his at 14. Now attending Wright State. Can not drive yet.

    My Son worked on the 3 Mile Island project years ago. That is how he earned his first patent. They were repairing Three Mile.
    Fresh minds, thinking out side the box ...is a lot cheaper than asking a cost-plus defense contractor who wouldn't lift a finger for America unless it was two...to clutch the dollar bills.


    Thanks from MaryAnne

  8. #18
    Member LT Greenbean's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,822
    Thanks
    510

    From
    south area
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    Fresh minds, thinking out side the box ...is a lot cheaper than asking a cost-plus defense contractor who wouldn't lift a finger for America unless it was two...to clutch the dollar bills.


    What kind of image do you have of contractors? I've led missions with them in Iraq. They lifted more than a finger. Or are you talking about people who contract for boeing or BAH?
    Thanks from Pureinheart

  9. #19
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    35,375
    Thanks
    30075

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by LT Greenbean View Post
    What kind of image do you have of contractors? I've led missions with them in Iraq. They lifted more than a finger. Or are you talking about people who contract for boeing or BAH?
    I worked for defense contractors for more than 20 years. How about you?

    Boeing is a defense contractor, those that contract with Boeing are just contractors.

    Those that contract their military skills to the US military are a whole different kind of contractor.
    Last edited by DebateDrone; 17th January 2018 at 05:42 AM.

  10. #20
    Member LT Greenbean's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,822
    Thanks
    510

    From
    south area
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    I worked for defense contractors for more than 20 years. How about you?

    Boeing is a defense contractor, those that contract with Boeing are just contractors.

    Those that contract their military skills to the US military are a whole different kind of contractor.
    I worked for LM for 2 years where I was a security manager.

    In Iraq, I worked very closely with a group of contractors out of New Jersey. They were trained operators and were more than happy to lift a finger for Americans
    Thanks from Pureinheart

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Obama to Israel: Our Tax Dollars Won’t Go to Your Defense Contractors
    By Dittohead not! in forum Asia & Middle East
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 13th September 2016, 09:35 AM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 18th February 2016, 02:08 PM
  3. Military may get control of contractors
    By patriotgrl in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26th October 2007, 10:29 AM
  4. Military may get control of contractors
    By patriotgrl in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26th October 2007, 09:05 AM
  5. After Iraq, contractors ill too
    By Trojan_Horse in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 4th July 2007, 07:10 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed