Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
Thanks Tree15Thanks

Thread: There was only one world war.... starting Jul 28, 1914 and ending September 2, 1945

  1. #1
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    63,900
    Thanks
    20597

    From
    Mass and Florida

    There was only one world war.... starting Jul 28, 1914 and ending September 2, 1945

    Discuss

  2. #2
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    32,717
    Thanks
    27892

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Discuss
    I think you can make a credible argument along those lines. A history teacher at the school I am associated with----a very good history teacher, by the way----teaches an elective course on 'The Modern Thirty Years' War', which covers that period, 1914-1945. In my own classes, I refer to those years as 'The Years of Crisis'.
    Thanks from Devil505 and The Man

  3. #3
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    94,527
    Thanks
    71810

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Discuss
    That's the generally accepted argument by most modern historians.

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    63,900
    Thanks
    20597

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    That's the generally accepted argument by most modern historians.
    Yet the "Wars" are taught and thought of as separate in schools and public minds.
    I think a single world war is a more accurate representation of the facts.

  5. #5
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    94,527
    Thanks
    71810

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Yet the "Wars" are taught and thought of as separate in schools and public minds.
    I think a single world war is a more accurate representation of the facts.
    My son is in 8th grade and just went through a unit on both this year. They were taught in one single unit as two separate linked events that at the time was thought of by most to be entirely separate events but are now looked at as an extended event with a long military pause in middle.

    It's understandable, especially from our American viewpoint across the pond, that in the moment the two would be looked at as entirely separate. The luxury of hindsight though, as well as a willingness to understand things from another perspective, allows us to see things more clearly. We should apply the same thinking to the Middle East.
    Thanks from Devil505

  6. #6
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    12,719
    Thanks
    3104

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Discuss
    Mr. Devil,

    There have been at least 4 world wars, the 7 Years War, the Napoleonic Wars, WWI, and WWII. Then if you break it down to the what the world was considered to be, the Persian-Greco wars, several Roman Wars, the civil wars after Alexander died, the Crusades, and the 30 Year wars could also be considered world wars.
    Thanks from CEngelbrecht

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    63,900
    Thanks
    20597

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Mr. Devil,

    There have been at least 4 world wars, the 7 Years War, the Napoleonic Wars, WWI, and WWII. Then if you break it down to the what the world was considered to be, the Persian-Greco wars, several Roman Wars, the civil wars after Alexander died, the Crusades, and the 30 Year wars could also be considered world wars.
    None so obviously interconnected though ...imo

  8. #8
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    94,527
    Thanks
    71810

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    It's all mainly perspective. Most Germans understood from the very beginning that World War II was an extension of World War I. In fact, that was one of the main ways Hitler motivated the people, to right past wrongs.
    Thanks from Devil505 and BigLeRoy

  9. #9
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    12,719
    Thanks
    3104

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    None so obviously interconnected though ...imo
    Mr. Devil,

    I disagree. The 7 years war involved all the powers in Europe, and took place on a global basis, with fighting in the colonial provinces. Same with the Napoleonic wars. The Civil War involving Julian vs. Constantinius involved the Western Roman Empire fighting the Eastern Roman Empire. The Punic Wars lasted 100 years and involved all the Mediterranean powers.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    63,900
    Thanks
    20597

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    It's all mainly perspective. Most Germans understood from the very beginning that World War II was an extension of World War I. In fact, that was one of the main ways Hitler motivated the people, to right past wrongs.
    The Treaty of Versailles was very unfair to Germany.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 2nd January 2018, 06:31 PM
  2. The American Century Has Come to an End: 1914 - 2014
    By Suppiluliuma in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 27th November 2014, 04:17 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25th September 2012, 05:15 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24th September 2012, 04:27 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20th May 2007, 03:27 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed